Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 74' 2.0 d-jet fuel pump runs continously
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
aren't they supposed to run to build pressure and stop until needed? if the engine should die, should'nt the pump be off?
davep
Is there a relay in the fuel pump location on the relay board.
If so, swap it out with a known good relay (like a headlight relay).
Is the pump hotwired?
Otherwise you may need a new computer to test with.
AvalonFal
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 23 2008, 02:10 PM) *

aren't they supposed to run to build pressure and stop until needed? if the engine should die, should'nt the pump be off?

Fuel pump should automatically shut off if the engine stalls.

Paul
r_towle
pump runs for 1.5 seconds when key it turned to the run position to build up pressure.
Then pump runs all the time when the car is running.
If it wont shut off, the relay may be bad.
If car dies, and not 12vdc signal is reaching the computer, it will shut off the fuel pump.

Rich
rhodyguy
it's jack engles car. swapped for a dif relay that worked in a headlight motor. no change. the fuel pump is located to the front of the car
mightyohm
My guess is whoever relocated the pump to the front was a bad boy and wired into the ignition for power.

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 23 2008, 02:08 PM) *

it's jack engles car. swapped for a dif relay that worked in a headlight motor. no change. the fuel pump is located to the front of the car

TravisNeff
agree.gif
racerx9146
you nailed it, I have seen that before...

QUOTE(jkeyzer @ May 23 2008, 02:46 PM) *

My guess is whoever relocated the pump to the front was a bad boy and wired into the ignition for power.

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 23 2008, 02:08 PM) *

rhodyguy
jeff= smilie_pokal.gif . we got clever and removed the pump relay from engine board. pump still runs, and runs... dry.gif jack has some work ahead of him.

k
Root_Werks
You got this one squared away, but figured I'd put in an FYI - The fuel pump also will not run with no oil pressure. i.e. the oil idiot light must be out (Grounded) for the pump to run.
Rand
So was '75 the first year of pump up front from the factory?
watsonrx13
QUOTE(Rand @ May 23 2008, 08:20 PM) *

So was '75 the first year of pump up front from the factory?

Yes...
rhodyguy
how does one make the electrical connection to the pump after it's been moved to the front? make a harness and run it thru the tunnel? the stock one for the under engine compartment mount is a little too short.

scrz914
Wait, the pump IS supposed to shut off after a couple of seconds? I'd better check if mine has been hard wired.
rhodyguy
in my limited d-jet exper, key to on postion, pump runs for a bit and stops. start position and it's the magic of fi if things are correct. in jack's case, if the engine stumbles and dies, the pump still runs. til you turn the key off.

k

rhodyguy
in my limited d-jet exper, key to on postion, pump runs for a bit and stops. start position and it's the magic of fi if things are correct. in jack's case, if the engine stumbles and dies, the pump still runs. til you turn the key off.

k

Rand
QUOTE(scrz914 @ May 23 2008, 09:10 PM) *

Wait, the pump IS supposed to shut off after a couple of seconds? I'd better check if mine has been hard wired.

Djet, yes, absolutely.
scrz914
Checked, and yes mine bypasses the relay. PO must have not wanted to deal with a bad relay or relay board. Geez, one more thing to do.
championgt1
Kevin and I had my car running great and I was on my way down to Triad to get my new exhaust installed and it started stumbling at about 60 miles an hour. Downshifted and brought up the rpm's and it went away. As soon as I had to slow down the car just died. It would restart but just die without my foot on the pedal. I adjusted the idle speed screw so the car would idle at about 2000 rpm and made it home. I guess it was not running as great as I thought it was sad.gif

Back to the drawing board! mad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.