Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Water based Paint Remover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
burton73
I have been removing the paint on doors and hood and engine lid outside of my shop with air tools with 3M pads. Now that I have the rest of the car on a rotisserie and I need to do the trunks and panels inside my clean shop I find it too dusty to use the 3M pads pad for the big job. Regular paint remover is too strong of a smell and burns your shin if you flick any on your self when you are working with it. The solvent gets you much too stoned.

The good: This water-based stuff is does not burn. It does not need to be neutralized it does not dry out. It has no smell at all. I use latex low cost gloves and change them all the time. The paint brush does not dry out.

The bad: It takes 30-48 hours to work well. You put a thick layer on and go back later and brush it around some more. I then just used a metal scraper blade and the old paint just came up. Even Por 15 that was put on my flares by the welder came off (in 8 hours) I cleaned up with Acetone and a rag in the end.

Cost was $53. Per gallon. On the web 5 gallons are less. Sherwin Williams home paints stores sells it. When I called the factory they said it will remove paint from Fiberglass without eating the fiberglass.

Bob

Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Richard Casto
Interesting. I will have to check this stuff out!

Richard
Bartlett 914
Hey that looks great. O.K. maybe a little slow but if it works what the heck. How thick is it? How well does it stay on a vertical surface?
burton73
It is very thick. You can put on an 1/8 without it running. I did the side of my car as you see it. I did a test area of the rear trunk and I did not put as much on. The trunks on my car have the factory paint plus the repaint. It sucks up more of this stuff the more paint that you have to eat.

Bob

biosurfer1
so do you wash it off? wipe it?
burton73
You scrape it off then clean the extra in hard to get to arrears with a rag. You can use simple green or as I did Acetone. That cleaned the rest of the crap under the handle recess and dried fast with no flash rust. Clean painter’s rags with Acetone. I deal with the smell and ventilation then. The paint was so soft that the Acetone just ate it up and cleaned it off. I will metal prep before I put metal etching primer on.

Bob
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.