Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's up with the holes in the tranny case?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KELTY360
Rand came over to help me get the starter out - mission accomplished, piece 'o cake. I went to install the new starter and dropped the washer that goes on the upper bolt. It appears to have fallen into a rectangular hole on the top of the tranny case. I've fished around with a magnet but no luck.

Hmmmm...bad luck as a mechanic and a fisherman.

So does this mean I have to drop the engine and open the tranny case or did it likely drop into some innocent cavity where it will rest at the bottom and not cause a problem?

Is there a purpose to that hole other than to prove Murphy is right?

confused24.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
EdwardBlume
The holes circulate air and heat for the clutch assembly. Just support the weight of the engine, disconnect the tranny mounts, and tranny / motor bolts, pull the tranny out a little bit and get it back.

Next time tape over the hole.
TROJANMAN
QUOTE(Rob Ways @ May 23 2008, 02:47 PM) *

Brilliant! beer3.gif

(must make note to self)

SGB
Ya think? No other recourse? What if he starts it up and slowly outs it into gear, then if that isn't cause for alarm, try slowly leting the clutch out? How sure are you that the washer went into the hole? sad.gif
Rand
QUOTE(Rob Ways @ May 23 2008, 02:47 PM) *

Indeed. Guess when we thought of that? Right after Marc lost the washer and discovered Murphy's hole.

What if he starts it up and slowly outs it into gear, then if that isn't cause for alarm, try slowly leting the clutch out? How sure are you that the washer went into the hole?

I was wondering the same. Actually, that's the biggest question to me.... IF the washer fell in that hole (Marc is pretty sure it did because it couldn't be found anywhere else), how risky is it? What is in that area of the case... Is there any risk it could get caught in a gear, or would it just settle on the bottom? I know, probably bad thinking, but I would turn the gears by hand enough to be sure that IF the washer landed on a gear it would fall off and to the bottom - then not worry about it.

Hey, you know those penny smashers? The souvenir machines in the tourist traps that you put a penny in and turn the crank? Marc, you might be able to make a 914 novelty washer. Haha.
IPB Image

Sorry man, this is a bit of a head banger. But I figure it's not as bad as the feared motor drop. Either it won't matter and you can ignore it, or you block up the back to the motor and just pull the tranny loose enough to get the washer out.... That is if it's really in there and fell to the bottom (or might have to turn things by hand to get it to fall down). But that is only speculation on my part.

HEY DR. E!!?? Or another tranny guru.... What's under that vent hole? Any risk of that washer getting into some gears??
PeeGreen 914
The vent holes go to the area where the clutch, flywheel and clutch fork are. It wouldn't get into any of the gears. I'm not sure what it would do to the flywheel... if anything.
KELTY360
I'm going to try fishing with the magnet again; didn't run it down very far the first time around. If that doesn't work I'm going to chance it and hope it just lays on the bottom. Thanks for the advice.
Todd Enlund
My guess is that worst case, it gets lodged somewhere that causes the clutch to not engage properly and you burn it up. I can't imagine how it could damage the flywheel.

As long as it's in there, you'll be worried about it. I'd lean towards getting it out. When was the last time you replaced the clutch? While you're in there... happy11.gif

On the other hand... washers are round, and it's amazing how far they can go...

Whenever I drop something, I listen to see what happens. THEN I start cussin'.
Jax914
Worst case, it falls into the clutch disc/finger/fork area and screws up your clutch function at an "inopportune" time - ie - your power shifting into second (yeah I know... av-943.gif ) and you go for the clutch and nothin!

Or worse it somehow gets into the disc / pressure plate area and screws your clutch and gouges your pressure plate.

I'd go for the quick disconnect and fish it out. You'll probably only need a couple of inches. You may need to rotate the clutch assembly so jack up and support the car well before you get under it.

HTH,
rhodyguy
how did the washer fall off of the bolt? did you use a stock starter?

k
KELTY360
QUOTE(Jax914 @ May 23 2008, 08:37 PM) *

You'll probably only need a couple of inches.

HTH,

A couple inches???

Hey! I drive a 914....not a 911. ar15.gif

av-943.gif
KELTY360
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 23 2008, 08:50 PM) *

how did the washer fall off of the bolt? did you use a stock starter?

k

Yeah, stock starter. The washer slipped off the bolt while I was trying to get it on the bolt. I kept waiting for it to fall on my head like it did when I took the old starter off, but no such luck.
Rand
The more I think about what is under that hole, the less I worry about it. Not a lot of complicated gears under there, and all the teeth around have pretty flat tips and I can't picture anything that would catch, suck up, and eat a washer. I think it would bounce, fall, roll off, and land in the bottom. Flame me, but I would drive it.

However, this opinion is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem to be right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your cancelled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to insure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in well-ventilated area. Keep away from fire or flame. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs, or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Decision of judges is final.

This supersedes all previous notices.
KELTY360
QUOTE(Rand @ May 23 2008, 09:31 PM) *

The more I think about what is under that hole, the less I worry about it. Not a lot of complicated gears under there, and all the teeth around have pretty flat tips and I can't picture anything that would catch, suck up, and eat a washer. I think it would bounce, fall, roll off, and land in the bottom. Flame me, but I would drive it.

However, this opinion is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem to be right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. Return to sender, no forwarding order on file, unable to forward. Not responsible for direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages resulting from any defect, error or failure to perform. At participating locations only. Not the Beatles. Penalty for private use. See label for sequence. Substantial penalty for early withdrawal. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Lost ticket pays maximum rate. Your cancelled check is your receipt. Add toner. Place stamp here. Avoid contact with skin. Sanitized for your protection. Be sure each item is properly endorsed. Sign here without admitting guilt. Slightly higher west of the Mississippi. Employees and their families are not eligible. Beware of dog. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Limited time offer, call now to insure prompt delivery. You must be present to win. No passes accepted for this engagement. No purchase necessary. Processed at location stamped in code at top of carton. Shading within a garment may occur. Use only in well-ventilated area. Keep away from fire or flame. Replace with same type. Approved for veterans. Booths for two or more. Check here if tax deductible. Some equipment shown is optional. Price does not include taxes. No Canadian coins. Not recommended for children. Prerecorded for this time zone. Reproduction strictly prohibited. No solicitors. No alcohol, dogs, or horses. No anchovies unless otherwise specified. Restaurant package, not for resale. List at least two alternate dates. First pull up, then pull down. Call toll free before digging. Driver does not carry cash. Some of the trademarks mentioned in this product appear for identification purposes only. Record additional transactions on back of previous stub. Decision of judges is final.

This supersedes all previous notices.

Will there be a test later? huh.gif
KELTY360
Got it! Slipped a magnetic rod (about 4 inches) into the opening of the case at the bottom, where the clutch fork enters, and heard a very faint click...contact...pulled it out with the washer hanging on!

Time to button it all up and head for the AutoX in Bremerton.

piratenanner.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ May 24 2008, 09:55 AM) *

Got it! Slipped a magnetic rod (about 4 inches) into the opening of the case at the bottom, where the clutch fork enters, and heard a very faint click...contact...pulled it out with the washer hanging on!

Time to button it all up and head for the AutoX in Bremerton.

piratenanner.gif

Sweet!
Cap'n Krusty
First of all, the top bolt HAS NO washer on the starter side, unless it's a /6, in which case there are TWO washers and an Allen nut. From your list of cars, it appears your cat is a /4. The bottom stud gets one. If you dropped THAT one in the vent hole, you've got other issues. The head of the bolt locks into place in the starter, and from there the bolt goes through the case and engine top flange, where it gets a 10x17mm spring washer and a 15mm wrench size nut. The Cap'n
KELTY360
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 24 2008, 10:59 AM) *

First of all, the top bolt HAS NO washer on the starter side, unless it's a /6, in which case there are TWO washers and an Allen nut. From your list of cars, it appears your cat is a /4. The bottom stud gets one. If you dropped THAT one in the vent hole, you've got other issues. The head of the bolt locks into place in the starter, and from there the bolt goes through the case and engine top flange, where it gets a 10x17mm spring washer and a 15mm wrench size nut. The Cap'n

I was going by the way it was assembled when I took it out; the top bolt went through the engine flange from the engine side. The nut was on the starter side with a spring washer underneath. The way you describe makes lots more sense for removing/installing the starter. Thanks.
rhodyguy
if the washer was sandwiched between the trans and the starter, the starter is pushed away from the fw. perhaps that's how the fw got chewed up over time. don't drop the washer upon r&r. with the bolt installed from the correct side it's a one person operation.
KELTY360
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 24 2008, 04:51 PM) *

if the washer was sandwiched between the trans and the starter, the starter is pushed away from the fw. perhaps that's how the fw got chewed up over time. don't drop the washer upon r&r. with the bolt installed from the correct side it's a one person operation.

The washer was between the nut and the starter. Contact between the starter and tranny was direct. The flywheel seems to be ok, although the repacement starter - Bosch reman - appears to have failed after successfully starting four times. When I got out to Brememton today it wouldn't crank, although we established power to the solenoid. Compression start was easy at very low speed. The story continues.

Oh, this time I'll make sure not to drop the washer. Thanks for the advice. aktion035.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Like the Cap'n said, the top bolt goes in with the head towards the rear of the car. No Washer. Use duct tape to hold the bolt on whilst you install nut from engine side.
And I think the washer could have screwed all kinda stuff if it got into the flywheel or throw out bearing.
rhodyguy
no action at all from the new one? not even the soleniod activating? damn.

the green car started when you bought it, yes? if so swap that one out. return the new one and take it back in the 914. you can point out a serviceable USED one works just fine.

k
KELTY360
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 25 2008, 08:36 AM) *

no action at all from the new one? not even the soleniod activating? damn.

the green car started when you bought it, yes? if so swap that one out. return the new one and take it back in the 914. you can point out a serviceable USED one works just fine.

k

No action beyond a click. The green car was not a runner - no fuel system at present. Jon (Phoenix 914 6-GT) gave me one of his spares last night and it fired right up. I'm heading out on a half hour test run right now.

Thanks Jon.
rhodyguy
shut the car off while pointing down hill!! haha. interesting about the green car. the cl ad never mentioned that as i remember.
KELTY360
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 25 2008, 08:51 AM) *

shut the car off while pointing down hill!! haha. interesting about the green car. the cl ad never mentioned that as i remember.

Drove it at freeway speeds for half and hour and pulled it into the garage, shut it off and then fired it up again. All systems go - heading out to the VW Spring Meet in Enumclaw now.
KELTY360
Not out of the woods yet. sad.gif Fired it up again and I could hear the starter gear drag as it retracted. headbang.gif

Do I need to shim the starter? How do I tell how much? Trial and error? I'm not going to be able to work on it for a couple of weeks because I'm heading out early tomorrow on vacation.
PeeGreen 914
You shouldn't need to. How bad is it draggin?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.