Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front air dam install.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Air_Cooled_Nut
What I installed:
IPB Image

I originally got this several years ago from AA...it was cracked. I contacted AA and they said keep it and we'll send you a new one, to which they did. It went on my '75 914 and the first one I kept.

Years pass, old 914 gets wrecked and front dam is destroyed. Many more years pass and I get a 'new' 914. This is where our story begins...

Finally blew the dust off of it and riveted a metal patch under the crack/break in the upper part to keep it from becoming worse. Then it was time for the install. "Should only be an hour or two, max!", I thought to myself bs.gif

FOUR HOURS LATER I finally had it bolted to the car sawzall-smiley.gif blowtorch.gif fighting19.gif I had to rivet a couple more metal extensions and reinforcements to get the damned thing on the car. It took about two hours to put the rubber lip on. I tell ya, lining up the rubber and fiberglass for the screw holes wasn't quite as easy as I thought.

It's finally on the car and looks good. Just need to straighten out the driving/fog lights and put the bumper back on.

However, while under the car I decided to poke around and found MORE RUST stfu.gif So the wire wheel will come out another day, rust and flaky undercoating will be freed, and fresh primer and undercoating will take its place. The pan that protects the steering and master cylinder will need to come out and get straightened and painted. Gonna have to weld new mounting tabs on it I think. Moral: Never poke around your car, you'll just find more rust and get pissed off <_<
ChrisReale
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
what else did you expect?
Air_Cooled_Nut
stfu.gif J/K smile.gif Girlfriend's digital camera currently SUCKS! Fresh batteries and it still doesn't work...guess the words on the box, "Refurbished", meant something mad.gif Really, though, there isn't much to see.
Air_Cooled_Nut
One of three reinforcements. The other two are at the end mounting points but you can't really see them unless you're under the car.
Air_Cooled_Nut
Crack and patch. Not very worried about cosmetics as this car really need a lot of $$$ put into it. Which I don't have. But at least she will be driven.
Air_Cooled_Nut
How she looks so far. Trust me, the more of this you have beer3.gif the better she looks wub.gif
SirAndy
your horn is rusty ... wink.gif
J P Stein
Lovely shade of primer wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.