Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 with VW 1.8T engine and Pantera Transaxle
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fat73
On a different forum....but really cool.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?&id=3848040

Ed aka W9R1
drive-ability
That's a beautifully built machine Wow
Allan
Maybe I'm a lunatic but, isn't it weird to go from a 750hp motor that works, to a 1.8 turbo?
RJMII
He bought it as a roller; i'm guessing that means "no engine"? P.O. must not have sold the 750hp engine to him with the car?
rhodyguy
was that car for sale in the classifieds last year? 06'?
LarryR
I saw that car run on ebay a couple of times ... I was drooling but it got to like 26 or 27K with the engine reserve not met.

maybe they yanked the engine and got almost as much for the chasis????

At any rate it would make a sweet race car. With it built to that extent they should have left in the 750 hp IMO.
LvSteveH
It was for sale for quite a while and I would guess it could have been bought for about $40k towards the end prior to being parted out.

byndbad914
QUOTE(RJMII @ May 23 2008, 06:48 PM) *

He bought it as a roller; i'm guessing that means "no engine"? P.O. must not have sold the 750hp engine to him with the car?

says sold as a roller meaning no engine NOR trans. He mentions in the posts he will be running the 1.8 with an Audi trans too, not the Pantera trans. I would also assume any dry sump oiling system and plumbing would also be missing and sold with the engine and so forth, maybe the cooling system too. He did mention it still had the brakes tho' I don't recall what it had. My 930 Turbo brakes ran me close to $3K by the time I went from finding/buying NOS calipers and actually driving the car and many other brake conversions are similar or less money.

He bought the roller for $20K which is reasonable for a tub and tube. For what I have in my full tube chassis with 5-link rear suspension if I got $25K for my roller it would be reasonable/good buy so $20K for a trailing arm tub and tube is about right for used stuff. He would definitely have more in a tub and tube starting from scratch, but not much more IMO if he knows the right places to go (which is always the kicker - so he probably got a great deal for himself).

IIRC he ripped a suspension ear out of the car at the track once too - I refused to use any original susp points from the stock tub for this reason... get enough power into the car and you will rip stuff up and crack the front strut mounts with stiff coil-overs as well. Hence I wouldn't want that much power with any stock tub left but to each his own.

We both have Sheridan body work tho' he has wide body rears (that I don't like with the narrow front but that is opinion of course), but assume similar $.

The Pantera boxes are still worth around $5K I think and the engine he had would be worth a chunk (used engines it is always hard to tell how much and I have no idea what the internals were) but I agree with Steve he may have taken $40K for it all. I would want $50K for mine and have much more than that in it.

It'll make an interesting project for the guy nonetheless.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.