Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing axles from CV joints
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonwatts
I figured I'd get my axles powdercoated along with all the other suspension pieces. After removing the circlips 3 out of 4 CV joints came off with just a little persuasion but the fourth required a 5 lb sledge, a drift, and a lot of effort. Does this sound unusual? Should I have the pieces checked by a professional (or in this case, Brad)?

thanks peeps!
Malmz
I've had them like that before. Not unusual, just friggen 30 years old!

Feel lucky the other three came off so easy...

sm
Andyrew
Came off the trani side? Havent had that happen.. but I've done it like 2 times..

confused24.gif
McMark
They can be a bitch. Unfortunately there isn't a good way to remove them. Someone come up with a good tool.
smash.gif
jonwatts
A shop press would be great if it could be set up to hold the CV while pressing out the axle.
airsix
Next time slide the CV joint off the closest end of the shaft instead of sliding it all the way down the axle and off the other end. laugh.gif Just kidding. So were you really working on your car or are you just pulling our legs? laugh.gif Kidding again. Can't wait to see pictures of that monster all put together.

-Ben (could pass for Jon's brother) M.
jonwatts
I am actually working on the car. The motivation is to drive it to the West Coast Classic. It may not be a very realistic motivation but the WCC is looking less and less like a realistic event every day. lol3.gif
Eric_Shea
Normal... I used a drift and set it upside down in a vise. Let the axel hang and pounded away with a similar sledge.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.