Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: O/T So who is watching the Indy 500?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
porschecb
Dont forget the Nascar 600 after this. piratenanner.gif Oh then the NBA after that!!!! What a day for High Def. beer3.gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif popcorn[1].gif

rhodyguy
wreck, wreck, wreck. indy used to be THE race. now it's another race. i'm watch and typing. too early and wet to mow.

k
Todd Enlund
It's not me. I watched the GP2 race and the Monaco Grand Prix this morning. I'm not interested in NASCAR, even if it is open wheel.
Gint
I spent the morning watching the F1 race. During which I ate breakfast of leftovers from Helga's German Deli... chowtime.gif Watching the Indy now in the office while doing some research on the box. When I miss a wreck or something (cause I'm not paying the strictest attention) I go into the living room and rewind the tivo and check it out. When this race is over I'm giong to go out and sync carbs. Car show later in the 914 at a local eatery...

All in all not a bad way to spend a day.

Edit: Back to the tivo. Who's that in pieces now?
KaptKaos
The whole thing is one huge commercial. It's sad really.

"Now we go down to the pits with Jim for the Firestone tire checkup. Take it away Jim!" - UGH!
Todd Enlund
Tony George single-handedly killed open wheel racing in the United States.
ericread
I watched for a bit. Changed out the front struts. Went to In-n-Out for a burger. Now I'm planted in front of the TV to watch the lat 60 laps.

Not a bad morning. smile.gif
Gint
I'm gonna head downstairs to watch the finish in HD. Hopefully the checkers won't fall under yellow.

I forgot about the lawn...
Joe Bob
I cleaned the pond...
GeorgeRud
It was an OK race, though the yellows certainly slowed things down quite a bit. Hopefully the reunited series can eventually regain some of the lost glory of the old Indy 500. I'm old enough to remember when all the best drivers wanted in on the 500, and the sanctioning bodies allowed them to compete. With all the names jumping to NASCAR, it keeps losing its appealing drivers.

It was kind of fun to see a pissed off Danica Patrick however. Got to feel sorry for her husband!
rick 918-S
Danica got hose with no lube! mad.gif That had to Suck dry.gif She's almost hot. drooley.gif happy11.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 25 2008, 07:20 PM) *

It was an OK race, though the yellows certainly slowed things down quite a bit. Hopefully the reunited series can eventually regain some of the lost glory of the old Indy 500. I'm old enough to remember when all the best drivers wanted in on the 500, and the sanctioning bodies allowed them to compete. With all the names jumping to NASCAR, it keeps losing its appealing drivers.

It was kind of fun to see a pissed off Danica Patrick however. Got to feel sorry for her husband!

Why should we feel sorry for her husband?
KaptKaos
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 25 2008, 07:27 PM) *

She's almost hot. drooley.gif happy11.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

Almost? av-943.gif
craig downs
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ May 25 2008, 01:45 PM) *

The whole thing is one huge commercial. It's sad really.

"Now we go down to the pits with Jim for the Firestone tire checkup. Take it away Jim!" - UGH!

Thats right and it seems like if someone spits on the track out comes the yellow. I was a huge fan years ago but got board with it and switch to F1.
I saw the highlights and its bout time Danica got it. It seems like she is always pulling some bone headed stunt and taking people out.
Gint
Danica wasn't at fault.

Dave Despain said on wind tunnel...

All three women were taken out of the race today by men.

Which is true. I laughed my ass off when I heard that one.
brant
I watched it all
it wasn't bad
first time I've watched it in 10 years really

I rather enjoyed myself today

championgt1
Bummer I missed it. I was busy watching paint dry. Hey, Tony George finger.gif
bryanc
QUOTE(brant @ May 25 2008, 10:27 PM) *

I watched it all
it wasn't bad
first time I've watched it in 10 years really

I rather enjoyed myself today

Same here. I watched ChampCar for years instead of the IRL. It's good to see what some of the drivers that left ChampCar have been doing, but the IRL telecast is not fun to watch:

Commentator: That was a good pass by Kanaan....

IRL TV Director: WHY ISN'T DANICA ON THE SCREEN. GET DANICA ON THE SCREEN.

Commentator: Danica Patrick is running in 8th behind some guy and in front of some guy.

Yeah she's cute, yeah she's got the hotheadedness of Paul Tracy, and she can drive, but there are other drivers.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Lou W
I saw the last 100 miles of the Inday 500 and all of the 600, the 600 was a good race. Dale Jr. made quite a comback after his accident.
GeorgeRud
Danica may be hot or not, but she looked like she definately can be major pissed off! One can only surmize that her husband gets that same stare from time to time.

She had a right to be pissed, she was run into. Dixon had the field covered.
So.Cal.914
It would have been fun to see if she could have lived up to all the hype and won.

She had a good car, a good crew, she was off a win, and in the top ten.

It would have been fun. And she could eat Ritz in my bed.

Click to view attachment
HAM Inc
Watched Monaco then Indy, then the 600. Didn't miss a lap of any of them! My ass was sore!
It's true that Indy isn't what it used to be... but it's still Indy. The whole open wheel mess started in 78 when the entire USAC brain trust was killed in a private air crash. That bolstered the team owners to take over the races and start CART. I remember Roger Penske trying to rip a USAC patch off a drivers uniform at Indy in 79 or 80. It really got ugly, but Indy's prestige didn't suffer from it. It took Tony George and the screwed up leadership at CART to do that. It was a big bunch of rich guys with giant egos. Tony only needed to worry about Indy, but his concerns over the future of the series, while legitimate, clouded his judgment IMHO. In '95 (the last year before the split) 96 cars entered the 500. The next year they had to scrounge up a dozen back-markers just to fill the feild. Indy will come back, it's just going to take some time. Every racer still dreams of winning Indy.
stepuptotheMike
I was at the Coke 600. Pretty good show. I think the only reason Dale Jr ended up with a 5th place finish is the fact that he didn't have to get gas. After he hit the wall, he pitted about 4 times.

Those NASCAR drivers must be fairly dense... cause everybody in the stands kept pointing which way they should go around the track slap.gif

Did catch a few shots with the camera.

IPB Image

Mike
rhodyguy
"why did he do that?", tony cannan re marco a. sara fisher in tears saying she's sorry. indy? huh.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ May 26 2008, 09:54 AM) *

Watched Monaco then Indy, then the 600. Didn't miss a lap of any of them! My ass was sore!
It's true that Indy isn't what it used to be... but it's still Indy. The whole open wheel mess started in 78 when the entire USAC brain trust was killed in a private air crash. That bolstered the team owners to take over the races and start CART. I remember Roger Penske trying to rip a USAC patch off a drivers uniform at Indy in 79 or 80. It really got ugly, but Indy's prestige didn't suffer from it. It took Tony George and the screwed up leadership at CART to do that. It was a big bunch of rich guys with giant egos. Tony only needed to worry about Indy, but his concerns over the future of the series, while legitimate, clouded his judgment IMHO. In '95 (the last year before the split) 96 cars entered the 500. The next year they had to scrounge up a dozen back-markers just to fill the feild. Indy will come back, it's just going to take some time. Every racer still dreams of winning Indy.

Tony George didn't just kill off CART, he pissed off Bernie Ecclestone and the FIA took the show elsewhere. No more US GP.
PeeGreen 914
I dunno...I've tried watching Nascar and Indy, but they just get boring. I love F1 and WRC. Unfortunatly they have stopped broadcasting the WRC sad.gif . So now there is only F1. F1 has been very interesting this year and the last race was great. Just goes to show you what happens when you have turns with wet surfaces.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 26 2008, 10:57 AM) *

I dunno...I've tried watching Nascar and Indy, but they just get boring. I love F1 and WRC. Unfortunatly they have stopped broadcasting the WRC sad.gif . So now there is only F1. F1 has been very interesting this year and the last race was great. Just goes to show you what happens when you have turns with wet surfaces.

Monaco is the one race where I hope for rain. It is fairly boring otherwise.

NASCRAP weenies won't race in the rain. gayfight.gif
Todd Enlund
If she wants to be a top level race driver, this certainly does not help me take her seriously:
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 26 2008, 07:09 AM) *

HAM Inc
Tony didn't kill CART (though I think he wanted to). The powers that be at CART screwed themselves when they decided to boycott Indy. Remember the US 500? CART scheduled it the same day as Indy in 96. We all know now how that worked out for them.

Boycotting Indy was bad for Indy and CART, but it was worse for CART. CART might have survived if they had kept their chassis and engine rules in line with what the Indy 500 required. (Indy rules were the rules that AAA used when they sanctioned Indy car racing in the pre-war days.) At one time even Grand Prix formulas were built around Indy's rules. Used to be that Indy counted toward the F1 points title. CART could have run their races and included Indy in the schedule. Indy is still the largest single day spectator event in the world, and the most prestigious race in the world. It was foolish for the brains at CART to think they could have a stand alone series that excluded the biggest race of the year. That's not just me talking... most corporate sponsors felt that way too.
BTW pissing off Bernie was bound to happen. His ego is even bigger than Tony's. The US GP didn't belong at Indy anyway. Send it to Road Atlanta or back to Watkins Glen, or some other great road course.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(HAM Inc @ May 26 2008, 11:31 AM) *

Tony didn't kill CART (though I think he wanted to). The powers that be at CART screwed themselves when they decided to boycott Indy. Remember the US 500? CART scheduled it the same day as Indy in 96. We all know now how that worked out for them.

I've got to disagree with you. Tony killed CART when he formed the IRL. CART made a bad move with the US 500, but it was in response to Tony's only allowing 8 CART cars into the Indy. For 1997, CART cars weren't even legal for Indy, because Tony changed the rules.

Boycotting Indy was bad for Indy and CART, but it was worse for CART. CART might have survived if they had kept their chassis and engine rules in line with what the Indy 500 required. (Indy rules were the rules that AAA used when they sanctioned Indy car racing in the pre-war days.)

Tony changed the rules so that CART cars were not legal.

At one time even Grand Prix formulas were built around Indy's rules. Used to be that Indy counted toward the F1 points title. CART could have run their races and included Indy in the schedule. Indy is still the largest single day spectator event in the world, and the most prestigious race in the world. It was foolish for the brains at CART to think they could have a stand alone series that excluded the biggest race of the year. That's not just me talking... most corporate sponsors felt that way too.

Remember when Porsche raced in CART? Now it's a spec series. The Star Mazda series is now the best open-wheeled racing in the US.

BTW pissing off Bernie was bound to happen. His ego is even bigger than Tony's. The US GP didn't belong at Indy anyway. Send it to Road Atlanta or back to Watkins Glen, or some other great road course.

Agreed on all counts, but now, thanks to Tony George being the one to do it, there is no USGP at all.
HAM Inc
Yeah, you're right about the limits placed on starting spots for cars that didn't compete in the IRL series the first couple of years. That was a real knot-head move by Tony.
I liked the balance of tracks that CART raced on in it's hey-day, though I really didn't think much of the street races (Long Beach being the exception). Despite Tony's machinations, I still think CART could have twarted his efforts toward their demise if they had modified there rules to align with the IRL's around 2000 (I think that's when CART approved a new package) By then Tony needed the cars badly and had abandoned the guaranteed starting spots for IRL regulars.
I'm not a Tony George fan, but he wasn't smart enough to kill CART without their help. Whatever the history, as a life long racing fan that favors openwheel racing I'm very happy to see just one series now. It bugs the hell out of me that it is a spec series, though. That just seems down-right un-American!
The Star Mazda races are great! Those guys really go after it. Even so, I would rather see a full field of USAC midgets at Terra Haute or Eldora, or Belleville than just about any other type of race there is.
iamchappy
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ May 26 2008, 02:17 PM) *

If she wants to be a top level race driver, this certainly does not help me take her seriously:
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 26 2008, 07:09 AM) *

pray.gif
Danica Patrick is a top level race car driver, period...................
Shirley Muldowney was a top level NHRA Top Fuel Dragster driver period......
Angelle Sampey is a top level Pro Drag Bike racer period.........Doesn't get much hotter than this.

Time to acknowledge them and their accomplishments. I do.......They must have some awful big balls hidden somewhere...

Ian Stott
I have daughters and would much rather they race cars than stand around them looking cute or waving their tops to start a race. Any person male or female who gets a lot of attention will always have detractors. I think Danica is a great driver and this was before I saw her even with her helmet off. I am a professional driver and feel I can hold my own, she deserves credit for her accomplishments and I try to appreciate what an accomplishment it is to even qualify at Indy, also she qualified highest amongst a team of four very well regarded race car drivers.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
ericread
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ May 27 2008, 08:52 AM) *

I have daughters and would much rather they race cars than stand around them looking cute or waving their tops to start a race. Any person male or female who gets a lot of attention will always have detractors. I think Danica is a great driver and this was before I saw her even with her helmet off. I am a professional driver and feel I can hold my own, she deserves credit for her accomplishments and I try to appreciate what an accomplishment it is to even qualify at Indy, also she qualified highest amongst a team of four very well regarded race car drivers.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Great driver or not.... I sure do like the pics! drooley.gif

rhodyguy
if tony stewart or some other driver gets all chesty after a stupid on track incident, they're studs. if danica does it she's a bitch or worse. nice double standard there guys. perhaps if she looked like sally jesse rapheal (sp) danica would get more respect and make a whole lot less money

k
URY914
Maybe if she wasn't on her cell phone as she was heading down the pit lane she could have reacted to the car pulling out in front of her. The same thing happends every day on the streets of Anytown, USA.

Sure it wasn't her fault but it was a racing accident and people get put out of the race by others every weekend. You would have thought that by the time she was pushed back to her pit and finally got out of her car she would have cooled off. It just looked a bit contrived and made to play for the cameras.
ericread
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 27 2008, 09:01 AM) *

if tony stewart or some other driver gets all chesty after a stupid on track incident, they're studs. if danica does it she's a bitch or worse. nice double standard there guys. perhaps if she looked like sally jesse rapheal (sp) danica would get more respect and make a whole lot less money

k

So what I'm hearing is that you want Danica to get all "chesty"? I'm up for that beerchug.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 27 2008, 08:01 AM) *

if tony stewart or some other driver gets all chesty after a stupid on track incident, they're studs.

In my book, they're assholes. It's not going to solve anything. Take it to the sanctioning body.

I never said that Danica wasn't a good driver. I will say, however, that she is over hyped. She is nowhere near the best driver out there, but she is the only one that most people have ever heard of, because of the photos and the Go Daddy commercials. She's not even the best driver on her team... Marco Andretti and Tony Kanaan are both better. Women get all upset over sexual discrimination, but it's okay if they use sex as a promotional tool. Katherine Legge is a much better driver than Danica, but without the hype.

Don't even put Danica anywhere near the level of Shirley Muldowney.
URY914
Shirley Muldowney? She drives the cars that only go in straight lines right?

I agreed with everything you said up until you threw in Shirley.
rhodyguy
there should be a commercial with a car load of old guys creamin' their jockeys over danica like the ones with the MILFS steamin' the silks over kasey kahne.
URY914
I found this on another board....

"She has never won a race in her entire career, other than GoCarts and her recent fuel mileage victory. She has gotten where she is based on her gender, not her ability and skill. There are a ton more guys out there that are far better and have not gotten the breaks that she has gotten. She got more TV coverage than any other driver in the race (including the winner), yet spent most of the race in & out of the top ten. What is equal about that? It has nothing to do with insecurities or masculinity. It has to do with what's fair and equal. And I have a problem with that. And she is no better than average from an objective point of view, rather than your subjective point of view."

He makes some good points.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 27 2008, 09:41 AM) *

Yes, and she was very successful at it.
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 27 2008, 09:41 AM) *

Just a comparison. IRL and NASCAR are simply much longer straight lines that are bent to the left.

In fairness, each type of racing demands a different set of skills. There is some overlap, but all you need to do is watch a NASCAR race at Sears Point to demonstrate the difference. Juan Pablo Montoya is a world class driver who has been unremarkable in NASCAR. But he won the race at Sears Point last year because of the skill set that he possesses and most of the NASCAR drivers do not.
iamchappy
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 27 2008, 12:41 PM) *

You must mean try to drive straight. ( I dont think there that easy cheer.gif )
The dragsters she WOT's would make me shit in my pants.

And any chick or anyone for that matter that climbs onto a drag bike has my respect..... w00t.gif
URY914
I would agree that drag racers have skills to do what they do. But I would also say holding on for dear life for less that 6 seconds (I know they go faster than that) is different than driving around Indy with your foot flat to the floor lap after lap.

I don't think you should compare the two.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 27 2008, 01:13 PM) *

I would agree that drag racers have skills to do what they do. But I would also say holding on for dear life for less that 6 seconds (I know they go faster than that) is different than driving around Indy with your foot flat to the floor lap after lap.

I don't think you should compare the two.

Then we shouldn't be comparing driving in circles with braking, turning (both directions), shifting and passing.

I get a kick out of oval track drivers that say "there just wasn't anywhere to pass".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.