Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1970 914 V-8 project joins herd
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
computers4kids
What I dragged home this afternoon.

I bought (officially today & brought home) a 1970 914 that the PO had started a V-8 conversion using a renegade kit for both the engine and radiator. He actually got the motor all bolted-up and radiator 3 years ago (pile of receipts)...then too many projects put this one on the back burner. Primarily, what is left to do is plumb the radiator and wire it all up. However, I will be pulling the running gear and some special parts and transplanting them into my 75 which is rust free and ready to go.

Motor is a built 305 with vortec heads, new, never even started yet with a alot of trick stuff...the motor is suppose to be a high rev motor rated at 300 hp. 305= 5 liters...holy cow!

New renegade kit and big dual fan raidator

Palo Alto v-8 tach

2 brand new in the box Recaro seats

New headers with new dual turbo exhaust

Koni reds with 200 pound rear springs

70 914 is all there except has no interior. The trunks, floor pans, hell hole are all solid. It will need both jack posts replaced and had some minor rust in the lip of the front trunk. No sagging...lines good. Typical cracked dash....glass is all good, good chrome, straight body. Even with all this it would need a lot of work to bring the body up to speed. I will sell-off the body dirt cheap.

4 new chrome wheels with center hub caps with 4 new skinny ass tires

Here's a couple of pics for now, I plan on starting a blog on this whole project...should be fun!
Dr. Roger
i had tires like that.... they delaminated. LOL.

Such fun cars to drive. aktion035.gif driving.gif
JRust
Very Nice Mark drooley.gif . Me being a converted v8 conversion guy I LIKE IT aktion035.gif . You'll have no problem selling that 2.4 big four motor. Especially as it sits. It's just plain beautiful biggrin.gif , Do you think you'll have it ready for WCR ? Sure be sweet to drive that up. You better get on the ball. I'd say I'd drive down a for a weekdn session but I really don't like you that much poke.gif . That is like a 10-12 hour drive one way confused24.gif .

Actually I'm kinda tempted. If my car was done maybe I'd do it bs.gif Seriously I have to much going on. Maybe if you trailer it up for WCR we can finish it off. I am taking that whole week off idea.gif
computers4kids
It's possible that I could have it running in my 75 tub for the WCR. I seriously doubt it would be sorted out enough for such a long journey. Perhaps I could trailer it up...although I'll never have the time to have the car painted by then. It wouldn't make sense to put it together enough to drive, then just have to pull some of it apart to paint. If I ony had a week with no work or distractions...
JRust
Just take next week off! Your a teacher & don't you guys get a couple weeks off during the school year anyway confused24.gif . It's only almost over for you anyway. Especially since they are sending you to that summer scool for being bad happy11.gif . Jusk kidding! The WCR is coming up very quick. You've got time to figure out how to add some a/c to that v8 now. I'd be shocked if you brought it up all done. You should have some time off though to work on it???

Hey throw some pics of your new seats on. I'm curious as to which set you have
jimkelly
sweet sweet suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuweet : )

my understanding is the skinny tires will let your transaxle live a long life.

i got skinny-ies on mine too.

i was told to lose that triangular air filter - it has tendancy to catch fire they say?

jim
computers4kids
QUOTE(jimkelly @ May 26 2008, 09:46 AM) *

sweet sweet suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuweet : )

my understanding is the skinny tires will let your transaxle live a long life.

i got skinny-ies on mine too.

i was told to lose that triangular air filter - it has tendancy to catch fire they say?

jim

Jim...thanks for the tip. I have been reading as many of the v-8 threads as possible to get a feel for all this. Things like heat and a/c can wait. I want to make sure I have everything sorted out before adding other mods. Just curious, where is your battery? Seems like there is enough room for the stock setup...and I just got done replacing all that.

I'm going to start pulling the motor today...taking alot of pictures to help the reinstall on my 75. I will most definetly need help with the electrical. It came with a new renegade engine harness that plugs into the 914 harness. Only thing is...I have no idea where all the wires go to (no directions unfortunately). All the reciepts that came with the project are dated 2003-2004, but not much in the "how to." Seeing it most installed will at least get me that far transplanting it all in the 75. It will be all virgin ground when it comes to the wiring and plumbing the radiator, and the wiring for the radiator. I'll start a blog sometime in the next day or so...hopefully some of the v-8 guys can set me straight smash.gif if I'm off too far...I have thick skin. slap.gif

Another issue that I will need to explore is the gauges. The guy had a brand new stock 914 tach from PaloAlto Speedometer still in the box. I have a ghetty dash that I will be installing so I'll be looking for advice on what gauges I can keep and which senders to use.

Mark

rhodyguy
but you could do such cool burnouts with the skinny tires. what is the actual production date?
computers4kids
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ May 26 2008, 10:33 AM) *

but you could do such cool burnouts with the skinny tires. what is the actual production date?

3/70...the body might be a good candidate for a cheap AX car.

Here is the seats that came with the car...still new inside the box.
APC Does anyone know if they fit with the backpad and inside OK? If so I have to decide whether to install these or I have a pristine set of black cloth OEM seats.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.