Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: muffler time
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rhodyguy
well they did a FINE job on this repair. the whole setup is shot. the late style h.e.'s are the worst design i have seen. you guys that have to run this systems have my sympathy's.

kevin
rhodyguy
oh boy
rhodyguy
crazy
rhodyguy
fun to remove this piece of crap. i had almost forgotten how much fun laying on a concrete floor was in a 40 deg garage.

kevin
maf914
Kevin,

What kind of muffler/collector are you showing in the last two photos? Thunderbird? Obviously not stock.

Mike
rhodyguy
looks to be some kind of glass pack. it's labeled "Blue Streak", made by allied manufacturing. you couldn't call this junk a header system by any means. the drivers side pipe was just welded to the h.e. it took an impact wrench to undo the bolts on the pass side. i may save it just for the barf.gif factor.

kevin
DNHunt
Kevin

Junk it, get rid of it. Your other car could catch some kind of infection from it. How do you think these cars caught rust. It's like the flu, passed from one to the other.

Come to think of it maybe that's where my car got it's exhaust leak. Your car was over at my place a while back and mine's been to your place. I need Mile's dance.gif to do some kind of voodoo witch doctor stuff on my car to drive the exhaust leak demon out.

Still got the darn thing. Getting real tired of looking at the underside of the ass end of my car.

Dave
redshift
mueba.gif unga bunga

w00t.gif (Howard Dean noise)

There ya go!

M
DNHunt
M

Which dance did you do on your car? Please do it for mine. Great to hear about your good fortune.

Sorry about borrowing your thread Kevin. wacko.gif

Dave
Bleyseng
Yeah Kevin, those late HE's really suck and you can't get decent heat to flow thru em either.

That is one pos muffler!

Geoff
TheCabinetmaker
Oh yeah? my original 75 HE's kick ass!!!!!!!!!!!
maf914
Now that you've taken the hacksaw to it, what are you going to replace it with?

Mike
rhodyguy
mike, a set of ss 2.0 h.e.'s and a bursch style exhaust out of the stash. for as bad as the h.e.'s were they put out a lot of heat. the computer leaves at 7 am. i'm usually 24 hrs behind.

kevin
rhodyguy
it's nice to have some parts laying around. no broken studs smilie_pokal.gif . two that had been step studed turned out. i will get new ones.

kevin
redshift
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Jan 22 2004, 09:53 AM)
M

Which dance did you do on your car? Please do it for mine. Great to hear about your good fortune.

Sorry about borrowing your thread Kevin. wacko.gif

Dave

I did the naughty dance on it...

I stripped down to my UGA underwear, and then rubbed on the hood badge, in large circles.

M
rhodyguy
i took the h.e's to bob the steam cleaner yest and had him clean the hot air chambers that were coated with crap. $20. real nice inside. i added the cans of spray cleaner costs and my time huffing fumes and went this route. a sweet deal. i showed the wife and she got the idea right off the bat. nice new paint on all the branch tubes and related pieces.

kevin
maf914
I used to have the same setup, but with a one piece Bursch. I always hated the fact that you could see the rusty primaries and collector of the Bursch, as they hung below the valence. Like the one in your photo, mine rusted from the mounting flanges to the muffler (which kept most of its paint for several years). If possible, get that thing blasted and either coated or painted with some decent high-temp paint, if there is such a thing.

Mike
914werke
The best idea is when NEW have it ceramic coated, though I took my used OE bannana with just surface rust , had it glass bead blasted clean then ceramic'ed (with all the other air/heater tubes and new SS HE's) it has stayed rust free for a couple a yrs since.
Oh and its HOT! pray.gif
DNHunt
Just came in from the garage. I'm still trying to eliminate an exhaust leak so I decided to snug everything when it was hot. I let it idle for about half an hour then scooted under. The heat exchangers glow. I had no idea they got that hot.

Dave
DNHunt
Went over to Kevin's today. He asked me to take these pictures before everything goes on the red car.

Here's the refurbished HE. Very clean.
DNHunt
Hardware and ductwork
DNHunt
Collector
DNHunt
Collector muffler and very high temp paint
rhodyguy
ready for business tomorrow. installed new thermostat and cable to the cooling flaps,cleaned exh studs and seating area in the ports. did a little painting too. fun to put nice clean stuff together. that's my couch. jeanne is really pissed off.

kevin
Bleyseng
Wow looks good Kevin. Now that puppy should put out some heat too!

Geoff
RustyWa
Those parts you painted grey, is that the normal color for those things? I painted my black..... huh.gif
rhodyguy
i think they are supposed to be gray,?. i had some gray paint. better take your's a part and do them over eric ohmy.gif laugh.gif .

kevin
steve@ottosvenice.com
We sell a true 1800 degree paint that will not burn off. It pricey at $35 a pint but I can paint 3 systems with a can. Steve
RustyWa
wacko.gif Yea....the black looks fine. wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.