Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Torsion bars-what size to get?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
marks914
Just got home from a little vacation with the family, went to pull the teener out to take to the store and noticed that the pass side front was extremely low to the ground. Checked the height adjuster and it it loose, I can move it by hand, so I can only assume that the torsion bar has snapped. Good thing it happened in my garage I guess. Seems kind of wierd that it would just go like that.
Anyhow, what size bars should I get? Its a SBC car with 200# springs in back, mostly a street car with an occasional trip to the track. I have a 19 mm sway bar in the front as
well. I liked the way it rode/handled with the stock bars.
It has the stock 914 suspension with 911 struts.

Any sources?

Any tips for the removal/intstallation?

Will any 911 bars go right back in there?

Thanks

Mark
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(marks914 @ May 26 2008, 02:31 PM) *

Any sources?

911 and 914 torsion bars are not interchangeable. If you have the original 914 suspension with just the 911 struts, you need 914 torsion bars.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ May 26 2008, 03:01 PM) *

911 and 914 torsion bars are not interchangeable. If you have the original 914 suspension with just the 911 struts, you need 914 torsion bars.

agree.gif
Eric_Shea
What they said.

Stock would be my choice.
marks914
Thanks,
Seems kind of strange that one side would just give out sitting in the garage though

Mark
ConeDodger
You aren't complaining about the handling so I would call that an indication that stock is good.

We would have to see it driven in an autocross setting to know if it needs anything bigger. Does it ever lift wheels in corners?
Eric_Shea
Seems kind of strange that one side would just give out sitting in the garage though

Happens a lot actually.

This is an indicator to check your bushings. Bushings fail allowing the t-bar to rub on the a-arm housing. The rubbing causes the t-bar to rust (I know, hard to believe, rust on a 914) and then it breaks through.

Check your other t-bar because it's probably ready to go. Get two new (or excellent used) and make sure they're marked L & R.
justme
QUOTE(marks914 @ May 26 2008, 02:31 PM) *

Just got home from a little vacation with the family, went to pull the teener out to take to the store and noticed that the pass side front was extremely low to the ground. Checked the height adjuster and it it loose, I can move it by hand, so I can only assume that the torsion bar has snapped. Good thing it happened in my garage I guess. Seems kind of wierd that it would just go like that.
Anyhow, what size bars should I get? Its a SBC car with 200# springs in back, mostly a street car with an occasional trip to the track. I have a 19 mm sway bar in the front as
well. I liked the way it rode/handled with the stock bars.

Any sources?

Thanks

Gotta set in the garge that you can have for shipping. Get it back on the road, change both...It's easy! beer.gif
Mark
marks914
What bushings do I need to get? All I can see on the diagram are the control arm bushings and the t-bar seal

Mark
craig downs
There are a couple of choices. You can go with McMarks needle bearings or Elephant Racing poly bronze bushings or Delrin bushings.

McMarks around 500
Bronze 250
Delrin don't know
PeeGreen 914
I like my 23mm hollows biggrin.gif I have the delrin bushing at present but am about to get the elephant. I have heard they are sweet.
TravisNeff
You can go up a little in size by getting 911 A-Arms/torsion bars. I would think a little more spring in the front would be beneficial to your setup with such a stiff rear.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ May 27 2008, 11:07 AM) *

You can go up a little in size by getting 911 A-Arms/torsion bars. I would think a little more spring in the front would be beneficial to your setup with such a stiff rear.

agree.gif
andys
What are the available stock 911 torsion bars sizes (there's more than one, right?)?

Andys
TravisNeff
18.8 for the 911 fronts, which is 1mm larger than the 914. Don't think there ever was another size. Oh wait, early 65-68 use a 18mm bars.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...orsion_bars.htm
Eric_Shea
His larger rears are compensating for the weight of a V8.

If you were happy with stock before... there's a free set a couple posts up. Hard to beat. I'm not a fan of big bars for street cars. I would say the 911 19mm's (18.8's) would be tops but again, you're going to have to get all new a-arms from a 911 to fit them. This is now "way" out of the plug-and-play arena.

Bigger is not always better. wink.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 27 2008, 05:25 PM) *

His larger rears are compensating for the weight of a V8.

If you were happy with stock before... there's a free set a couple posts up. Hard to beat. I'm not a fan of big bars for street cars. I would say the 911 19mm's (18.8's) would be tops but again, you're going to have to get all new a-arms from a 911 to fit them. This is now "way" out of the plug-and-play arena.

Bigger is not always better. wink.gif

agree.gif My personal choice is to stay soft with the TBars and tune with adjustable sway bars. Again, I would want video of your car being driven hard to really have a strong opinion but you have not complained about the way it was before. Also, driver impression is even more important. Some drivers like to hang the ass end out and others find that disconcerting. I hate understeer but find oversteer acceptable.
rhodyguy
do you like the way it drives and handles now (prior to the bar deal)? have you put it on a set of scales? 17mm up to 21mm stunk.

i like the elephants on my car jon. get the rear carriers while your 'in there'. mind the direction you point the lube fittings on assem. i would plan on an alignment up front and think you can leave the rear alone. i noticed you run alot of camber upfront.
marks914
Thanks everybody, I think I will keep it stock, it rode pretty nice, even with the 17s. The car sees more street/big track time than autocross, so I will leave it softer. the swabar is adjusrable, so I can do some dialing with it.
I just had the car aligned after the turbo tie rod install, here goes another pile of money....

Mark
Wannabe 914-6 owner
I really like the look of your car, especially the spoiler. Is that a off the shelf piece, or something that you fabricated. Very nice car biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.