Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Yeah, sorta OT...but
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pat Garvey
Why, at least into 1976 (maybe later) did Porsche utilize horizontally placed cooling fans on some models? Was it wieght savings? Was it better cooling?. And, how did the fibergalss/composite fans hold up long term?

Just want to know.
Pat
r_towle
I think that the horizontal ones that I have seen were only on race cars.
I would think that space savings along with better control of the air would be the rational.

Our system was probably alot simpler to build, and certainly simpler to maintain.
A vertical fan on an 8 or 12 cylinder would deliver super hot air to the rear cylinders, so two horizontals deliver a better and colder shot of fresh air.

Rich
Dave_Darling
Better cooling, but it ate more HP to run.

--DD
zymurgist
If I remember correctly, they used an aircraft quality gearbox ($$$) to translate the axis of rotation from horizontal to vertical. I guess the Chevy Corvair double-bent-belt method wasn't considered reliable at the speeds those engines were turning.
Jake Raby
The horizontal fans were driven via bevel hears directly off the crank. The method they were driven with didn't draw more HP, it just cost 4x more than a belt driven arrangement.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.