Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can't keep my '73 1.7L running
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BCinSC
1973 1.7L FI 99% original.
Took it out of storage last weekend. Checked oil, vac hoses, fuel lines, dwell, timing and off she went.
Drove to/from work fine for 2 days (~90 miles), then died out and would not restart for any significant duration
Checked that I was getting spark at cylinder, fuel was in the rail (don’t have gauge to check actual pressure), and air intake was unobstructed.
Since I stored with ¼ tank gas without stabilizer, did not dump and replace, but merely tanked up on premium, I figured I had likely clogged fuel filter. Replaced and slightly better, but not much (little rusty particulates came out of filter as fuel drained even though tank was pulled (and allegedly conditioned) 3 years ago. Gas coming out of line upstream from filter is clean and clear ( I should know - I drank plenty; didn't think to clamp line and use a glass to catch the remaining - doh). Should I be pulling the fuel pump to clean it out? Blow-back the injectors and rails? Maybe I should take up smoking?).
Swapped Relay - OK. Replaced Fuel Pump fuse. No change.
Took out, disassembled, fully cleaned and checked distributor. Fuel Injector triggers look and meter fine. Gapped ignition points to .4mm. Returned dist to location and approx timing. Got it to start and idle high for about a minute, maybe 2, then cutout. Several more instances like that – where I finally get it to catch, it will run for 30 sec to a minute and die out. So enough fuel is occasionally making it through to light her up, but not sustain?
Didn't know there were FI grounds under the plenum - that ought to be fun to reach. I guess next I'll pull an injector
Thought it was starved of fuel , but maybe it’s air? Or is my fuel pump toast?
Thank you for looking and replying.
TravisNeff
Check your head temp sensor (TS2). for values go here: http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/
toon1
Water in the gas? storing it with 1/4 tank in the north east....it's a good possibility. It should be stored with a full tank to prevent condensation.
BCinSC
Checking Cylinder Head Temp Sensor. Solution for water in gas? Previous 4 years I stored with full tank, but before storing last year, it was out of comission and I didn't get to fill. Bad me.
toon1
you can buy an additive to take car of the water OR you can use 90 proof alchohol ( I don't know the ratio of ALCH. to fuel).

BTW, checking the CHTS is good BUT they will fail in a weird way. Usually, they DO NOT fail immediatly. The will go out in an intermittent type of failier( spelling).

They may test ok through all the ranges BUT when they are placed in the head and are under a heat soak, you will see the resistance spike back and forth from high to low resistance. As it spikes to the high resistance side, it will fool the ECU/ brain, that the engine is cold hence ADDING more fuel.

I have seen this more than once through Megasquirt datalogs. Normally only when the head temps get into the 360-365* range.

It's alway's good to check though.
BCinSC
By the way, this turned out to be intermittent fault in the trigger points. That's why she'd run a little, then die like she was starved of fuel. Replaced the points and shes run 2000 miles already this summer (until two days ago when the left front wheel bearing went)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.