Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV joint washer- which way?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dbgriffith75
I'm sure pics would be of help here, but I don't have much time before I have to get off to work, so if you can advise me on this w/out them, great. If not, I'll try to get some posted tomorrow.

On the CV axle/joint assembly, there's a cupped washer (can't think of a better way to describe it) that fits behind the joint assembly, against a flare on the axle at the end of the splines. What I'd like to know is which way is that washer supposed to be positioned- with the cup towards the joint assembly, or away from it? Mechanically speaking, I think it should be positioned toward the assembly to keep tension on the snap ring, but I'd like a second/third/fourth/25th opinion. biggrin.gif

Thanks! I'll check back tomorrow.
SirAndy
QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ May 27 2008, 12:12 PM) *

I think it should be positioned toward the assembly to keep tension on the snap ring

you got it!
thumb3d.gif Andy
dbgriffith75
Thanks for the confirmation Sir Andy- homage will be paid to you in the amount of 24 packages of Ramen noodles- your choice of chicken or beef. biggrin.gif

On a related note, while I was looking for some replacement snap rings for the axles, I stumbled across this "how-to" page on tearing down/rebuilding CV axles. I thought it was pretty good and wish I'd found it sooner. Here's the link:

http://www.connactivity.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faqcv.html

Check out step #11- it's the best!
dbgriffith75
Back on the CV joints, I got my new snap rings, now I'm just curious what the best way to go about installing them is. The joint inner race needs to be pressed down some to allow the ring to seat into the groove on the shaft.

One thing I've already tried is a furniture clamp on the inner race, the other end on the axle, but that didn't work. And I don't want to start beating the piss out of it trying to get the ring to seat.

Any suggestions?
Gint
Vice. Another pair of hands might help also.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 4 2008, 09:05 AM) *

Vice. Another pair of hands might help also.

agree.gif have someone push down on the inner race while you seat the circlip ...

shades.gif Andy
Cap'n Krusty
The cupped side of the washer goes toward the CV joint, so the other end of the washer will be pressed against the flange on the axle. As for installation of the snap ring, I've found a large deep socket just big enough to catch the outer edge of the snap ring works well. Hit it sharply with a BFH until the snap ring seats. The Cap'n

Here's a drawing:

______________/\ //l________
l l
.............axle shaft.............................
______________ l l________
\/ \\ l

dbgriffith75
The cupped side of the washer goes toward the CV joint, so the other end of the washer will be pressed against the flange on the axle. As for installation of the snap ring, I've found a large deep socket just big enough to catch the outer edge of the snap ring works well. Hit it sharply with a BFH until the snap ring seats. The Cap'n

Here's a drawing:

______________/\ //l________
l l
.............axle shaft.............................
______________ l l________
\/ \\ l

... that's a drawing? Haha. Okay, if beating on it won't hurt anything, I'll give it a try. The extra set of hands would be nice but it's difficult for me to find help. My old man is generally busy w/ farming, a lot of my friends aren't that interested in cars and the ones that are have their own projects going. I'll give the socket thing a try w/ my mallet and if that doesn't work, I'll try to get another set of hands.

As for the vice idea... that'd have to be a big f'ing vice! Unless you rigged something up?
Cap'n Krusty
Well, the drawing came through a bit garbled, and I dunno how to fix it ..........
The top line is correct. Figure it out from there ............The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 4 2008, 10:14 AM) *

Well, the drawing came through a bit garbled, and I dunno how to fix it ..........

you can't have multiple spaces in HTML, that's why your 2nd and 5th line look funny.

replace the spaces with dots (.) and you should get it to line up ...
bye1.gif Andy
Tom
Yep , the big socket worked fine for me also.
As for the link and step 11. That's why we nicknamed them jesus clips in the navy. It spins off and you say "Jesus where did that go". Of course when out to sea, you won't be able to find a spare. Ha, Ha.
Tom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.