Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gskinner
Newbie question - I'm getting ready to dive into my fuel system "issues" this weekend and had a quick question. I recently purchase a used fuel tank for my '72 that had been reconditioned. However, I think the tank is from a later model since the mounting bracket for the canister does not exist and the brackets for the expansion chamber are somewhat different. What is the best solution for fabricating/attaching some type of bracket w/out affecting the integrity of the tank?

Thanks
tat2dphreak
hey Skinner,
great to see another Dallas-ite on the Board.. if you need any help, don't hesitate to give me a call.. I have 2 72's!

I don't know the answer to your question... but I will have an extra tank when I combine my 2 72s into 1... it doesn't have the expansion chamber though, I don't think... LMK if you want it...

again, willkommen aktion035.gif
boxstr
Eliminate the expansion tank. Use the filler neck from your existing tank.
CCLINTANKED
gskinner
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jan 22 2004, 11:52 AM)
Eliminate the expansion tank. Use the filler neck from your existing tank.
CCLINTANKED

thanks for the reply. On the '72, I have vacuum hoses that run up through the driver's side rocker panel to the charcoal canister which is then connected to the expansion tank. If I remove the expansion tank, what should I do with the rest of these components along with their connections back in the engine bay?
SirAndy
QUOTE(gskinner @ Jan 27 2004, 01:05 PM)
On the '72, I have vacuum hoses that run up through the driver's side rocker panel to the charcoal canister which is then connected to the expansion tank. If I remove the expansion tank, what should I do with the rest of these components along with their connections back in the engine bay?

disconnect them and plug the ports on your engine.
i took mine out completely, behind the rockers and all.
remove the expansion tank.
fiddle the small tank vent hose into the big plastic "overflow" and forget about it.

btw. they're not vacuum hoses, they're just for ventilation.

Andy
SirAndy
the one on the fan shoud pushes air through one hose to the charcoal filter, the other hose returns the vapors and vents them into the air filter ...

everything will run just fine without the whole assembly.

Andy
mightyohm
Shouldn't you plug that little pipe on the filler? I think it goes straight into the tank.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jan 27 2004, 05:35 PM)
Shouldn't you plug that little pipe on the filler?  I think it goes straight into the tank.

it's a vent ...
just run the hose inside the big plastic tube that goes out the bottom of the car.

once done, you can tell the Gs you're pulling through those corners just by the amount of gas you smell. cool.gif

Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.