Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bahia Red - what's the correct color
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
OK, I had an interesting conversation with my auto paint store guy. I'm trying to finish painting the engine compartment of my car and dropped by the DuPont store to get a quart of bahia red, L30E. Well, the guy knows that I work on Porsches so I said I wanted a quart of L30E. He says, 'Hey, that's a VW color, don't you want a Porsche color?'. 'Yea, bahia red.' Well he pulls up the color listing for Porsche - bahia red - 022. He also looks up VW - bahia red - L30E.

Here's the breakdown of the colors used:

Porsche - bahia red - 022
qty color
212.2 orange
45.2 red orange
41.2 red violet
13.0 white
618.4 acrylic binder

VW - bahia red - L30E
qty color
148.7 orange
111.0 clean magenta
22.5 white
6.8 quindo maroon
634.3 acrylic binder

So, my question is, which code is the correct color to paint an original '74 bahia red 914?

-- Rob
smontanaro
Which code is on your door jamb? Can you get a bit of your color into your paint guy so he can see which mix it's closest to? (Unfortunately, the door or one of the lids is probably the smallest piece of painted sheet metal you could remove from the car.)

Skip
Pat Garvey
Door jamb plate tells it all, or the COA.

Really, the mixing components are not necessary. The plate tells the story. It is what it is.

As I recall (and do not hold me to this), L30 was the red paint through '74, when they switched to Malaga.

Whatever the door plate says is gospel, unless you have a "clipped" car.
watsonrx13
The door jamb is L30E, which is what I've always ordered paint by. My point was that the paint store had the L30E listed as a VW paint code. Does anyone know if the 911 had a bahia red - 022, for 1974?

-- Rob
smontanaro
It would appear so:

http://www.356-911.com/modelinfo/911colour...colours7173.htm

Skip
watsonrx13
Thanks Skip... So evidently there are (2) color combinations of the bahia red, the Porsche (022) for the 911 and the VW (L30E) for the 914....

-- Rob
siverson
Was this ever resolved? Are there really two reds for Bahia Red?
siverson
And maybe this is a stretch, but has anyone ever seen production #s by color code? What was the most popular color? And how many Bahia Red cars were there?

(I may be back up to 2 914s, and this new one is Bahia Red...)
SirAndy
QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ May 27 2008, 05:06 PM) *

My point was that the paint store had the L30E listed as a VW paint code.

Well, you ARE driving a VW, so what part are you confused about?
shades.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(siverson @ May 25 2009, 09:43 AM) *

has anyone ever seen production #s by color code? What was the most popular color?

I've never seen a complete list by color. Our VIN database can be queried by color, but i'm afraid 5000 out of 120,000 is not a perfect representation ...
shades.gif Andy
Lou W
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 25 2009, 10:51 AM) *

QUOTE(watsonrx13 @ May 27 2008, 05:06 PM) *

My point was that the paint store had the L30E listed as a VW paint code.

Well, you ARE driving a VW, so what part are you confused about?
shades.gif Andy

Damn, I thought everyone knew that. biggrin.gif
URY914
I only have the W left of my car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.