Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension Console Rust
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
atomix8
Hi all, thanks first of all for the help that this board has quietly provided me in my first year of 914 ownership. I bought mine knowing SOME of the rust issues, but as you'll see below, I didn't fully understand how bad the rust on the passenger trailing arm mount was. It has certainly gotten worse with mileage, and some of the poor Baltimore roads.

The outer "ear" that always cracks seems fine. However, the metal between the inner trailing arm mount and the outer "ear" is...well...rusted to the point where it looks down right cracked. In the first picture, it's the area running top to bottom in the picture, but ALSO underneath the brakeline where it makes a "C" channel as shown in the second pic.

I've done my share of searching and I can't quite find this failure on other teeners, and I can't tell if any of the sheetmetal the AA, etc sells addresses this area.

So the questions are...how the heck can this be fixed? Do I need to find and carve up a tub? Is metal available? Can this be fabbed? Down to bare metal and plated over?

I'm fine with most mechanical projects within reason, but my "garage" is a driveway right now sad.gif . I know, good point in life to own a 914. The tempting solution is to let a local VW/Porsche shop have a look, but I'm not sure I'd survive the price quote. I'm looking to return the car to safely drivable, not concours quality.

Advice is appreciated!

--Dave

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
r_towle
the area the typically rusts is the inner suspension console, and the lower portion that ties into the outer long.
The reason is the acid enriched water runs down inside the suspension console via the top most spot welded joint...so it fills up th inside.

ALL of it (most of it) is available in sheet metal replacement panels.
Welding is part of the 914 ownership learning curve.

Rich
atomix8
"Welding is part of the 914 ownership learning curve."

Haha, I know you're right, and I believe the best quote I ran across was that every 914 should come with a 3 foot square of sheet metal.

So is this the lower portion of the suspension console? The AA suspension console only includes:
IPB Image

I had previously thought the rust damage was limited to in front of the battery, which was minimal in the engine bay. Looked more like a rear window leak than a battery problem. I'll take a better look at the suspension console itself though!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we also have the two reinforcement pieces here that lap over the console "leg" that connects the inner console to the outer console. We are working on the outer console as well
r_towle
George has all of it.
The part you pictured does go under the long a little bit, and its the main culprit for rust.

When replacing that parts, you also need an engine tray (the piece just below the suspension console) for that is attached to the console and is difficult to remove and re-use.

The piece under the long is typically fabricated on site, its a simple piece to make once the new console is in place.
The outer console is rare to be rusted, but I am sure it happens.

Rich
Wes V
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 28 2008, 05:14 AM) *

we also have the two reinforcement pieces here that lap over the console "leg" that connects the inner console to the outer console. We are working on the outer console as well

George;

Please check stock!

About two months ago I called and you only had the most forward one (914 501 142 10) and I think the one I got was your last.

You didn't have the rearward one (914 501 144 10).

They are NLA from Porsche.

I'm still in need of the rearward one, but have been working in other areas.

Wes Vann
atomix8
Appreciate the help, I think I know what I need now. But for the record, the cracked area shown in detail and rusted through in the larger shot, that's the "console leg"? I hadn't seen this previously as a common rust stop, but sounds like it is.

Oh well, time for new metal, and to find someone competent to weld. I don't think I have the time to learn before the summer comes!
crash914
you are welcome to drag it over and work on it here..have welder available. I am already helping with an engine rebuild and a little rust repair would be fun...feel free to give me a call..

cell 410.596.5880
located just off I 70 and marriottsville rd...
Have garage and trailer....
herb
rhodyguy
offers don't get much better than that! right on.

k
xperu
Man I wish I could get an offer like that! I have ripped off by one body shop (bad work and $$$) and hopefully not a second time. I just need a good assessment; I am visiting this site every day to the point of obsession, just to learn as much as I can. The offer and expertise and the offer itself is worth more than money, there are great people on this site. Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.