Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Installing a V-8...a few questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
computers4kids
I'm installing a chevy 305 with a renegage kit and I have a few questions.

There seems to be plenty of room to leave the battery tray in the OEM position, why do many move the location to the trunk?

I have the Renegade wiring harness but no diagram...can someone send me a copy?

The exhaust is headers with twin turbo exhaust. Do you remove the stock exhaust heat sheild...it fits either way. Is it good to leave it or remove it?

Where do you source your power for the front 'dual fan radiator?' From what I have read it needs to be powered all the time, not switched. Is there a source to tap into in the front trunk or do you run a dedicated line...if so how heavy?

I would really love to see pictures of your V-8 914 front end so see what kind of setup you did for valance and cutting the bumper! I'm good on the fender cuts.

Stupid Question: The renegade recommends using #8 1/2 metal screws to attach the brackets that hold the coolant hoses to the bottom of the car. It mentions to be careful not to puncture the fuel lines in the tunnel. How can you tell if your'e going to hit a fuel line or not? ...other than just hoping and guessing?

Sorry for all the questions...
Mark
Edited.....thought I would add some before and a after picture since this thread has evolved into a v-8 install/restore/modify thread. The story begins....
Click to view attachment
michaelt55
Mark;
Heres a photo of my radiator setup... I have the 916 front so I just use the cutout to get my air. I also have my fluid lines hard plumbed...no clearance issues..

Michael
andys
Mark,

If your stock headers have heat shields, I would recommend you keep them. Managing the heat in the engine bay of a V8 914 is a wise idea, and you may as well take advantage of the oportunity in your case.

Andys
plymouth37
Stupid Question: The renegade recommends using #8 1/2 metal screws to attach the brackets that hold the coolant hoses to the bottom of the car. It mentions to be careful not to puncture the fuel lines in the tunnel. How can you tell if your'e going to hit a fuel line or not? ...other than just hoping and guessing?

When I worked at Renegade I used rivets to attach the brackets, to ensure that I would not nick the fuel lines I used a drill bit with a drill stop so the bit could not drill farther than it needed to.

There seems to be plenty of room to leave the battery tray in the OEM position, why do many move the location to the trunk?

I have seen a few V-8 cars with batteries in the stock location with no problem, just make sure your battery tray is solid. Most people move theirs to the trunk because there battery tray is rotted or because they want to lower their cars center of gravity.
If you do move your battery to the front trunk you will have no problem finding a power source for your radiator fans.
marks914
Here is how I did my front trunk.
Why did I move my battery? I don't know, i wish I had left it in the engine compartment. Its the first thing I did on the car. You need to wire the fans with a relay so that you do not overload the sender for the fans. I used a JC whitney adjustable fan. Also went with a custom $275 dual pass radiator done by a local shop, worksd great!
I also ran hard lines wherever I could

Mark

IPB Image

IPB Image
dbgriffith75
This just blows my mind...

I mean, I understand if it comes outta the factory w/ a v8; but to actually swap a 4 cyl for a v8... how it's even possible is beyond me. There's barely room in the engine compartment w/ a 4 cyl... cramming in a v8 has got to be a squeeze!

Is there a lot of butchering that has to be done? I can't see it happening w/out at least some being required... unless you put it in sideways maybe??
plymouth37
QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ May 28 2008, 12:26 PM) *

Is there a lot of butchering that has to be done? I can't see it happening w/out at least some being required... unless you put it in sideways maybe??

Just a small notch needs to be cut in the rear firewall to clear bigger distributers.
A lot more cutting is needed to install the radiator than the V-8 engine itself.

This is what 500HP looks like...
IPB Image
cobra94563
Stock location is fine if tray is solid.
Something to consider if you move it for weight reasons. I put the battery in front, thinking that I would move the weight forward and lower.
Ran the lines, didn't plan everything out - spare tire doesn't quite fit in front and now carry that weight in the trunk (...fix it later..).
marks914
QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ May 28 2008, 12:26 PM) *

This just blows my mind...

I mean, I understand if it comes outta the factory w/ a v8; but to actually swap a 4 cyl for a v8... how it's even possible is beyond me. There's barely room in the engine compartment w/ a 4 cyl... cramming in a v8 has got to be a squeeze!

Fits and sometimes looks like it belongs there, sure makes for a fun, easy to maintain car, 30,000 miles and counting.

Mark

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
dbgriffith75
Fits and sometimes looks like it belongs there, sure makes for a fun, easy to maintain car, 30,000 miles and counting.

I don't know about easy to maintain... don't get me wrong, I'm very familiar w/ the old V8's- drove an old stepside chevy for years with enough room under the hood to hide one, mebbe two dead bodies if I needed to. biggrin.gif Yes they're easy to maintain.... but in that amount of space? Are joo sure? biggrin.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ May 29 2008, 07:31 AM) *

Are joo sure? biggrin.gif

There is more room to work on a chevy v-8 than there is on a porsche 4 cylinder motor by far...actually the fit is quite amazing.
computers4kids
QUOTE(computers4kids @ May 28 2008, 09:21 AM) *

The exhaust is headers with twin turbo exhaust. Do you remove the stock exhaust heat sheild...it fits either way. Is it good to leave it or remove it?

Thanks for the PMs and replies...I wasn't clear enough. I'm talking about the 1/2 moon shaped heat shield that is welded (mine is bolted) to the bottom of the rear trunk floor. The turbo mufflers hand down quite a ways, so I'm thinking this tin serves no purpose any longer and would be good to remove?

Where do you source your power for the front 'dual fan radiator?' From what I have read it needs to be powered all the time, not switched. Is there a source to tap into in the front trunk or do you run a dedicated line...if so how heavy?

A member offered to send my the Renegade directions, hopefully they will be clear. Sounds like a need to run a 10 gauge wire back to the battery with a relay?

I would really love to see pictures of your V-8 914 front end so see what kind of setup you did for valance and cutting the bumper! I'm good on the fender cuts.

I made a lot of progress yesterday. I made all the cuts in the front trunk for the dual fan radiator and exhaust holes, the cut for the larger dizzy, removed the proportional valve and installed a tee, hung all four Renegade motor mounts, installed the rear konis with 200lb springs, prepped the engine compartment. That took longer than I hoped. Next step, bolt up one of my sideshifters to the chevy 305 and drop it in. I also picked up from a local trunk company all the green striped hose and clamps for the cooling. I have to go back to work for a rest, then attack it agan.
dakotaewing
Here are some pics I have of various cars...
wes42
I just saw your thread.....Good Luck with your installation, You will love it!

And as for everyone who thinks it is a tight fit...Well, in some places it is, but mostly it goes in just fine. Surprisingly the big stuff goes right in, it's all the little things that will eat up your time and money.

There are lots of things to learn along the way, and it will be a love/hate relationship for awhile, but once you get the bugs all out.....Well, you'll just be grinning every time you drive it!

Watch out for my mistake....Keep the HP to less than 300!! I hate having to modulate the power with my right foot. This is like having a shifter kart for the street.

Oh.....and have you given ant thought to the tranny and higher ratios? If you haven't, you will. Don't worry, you really can mod it yourself.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/131811953jvkZCJ

Wes
wes42
QUOTE(wes42 @ May 29 2008, 07:21 AM) *

And as for everyone who thinks it is a tight fit...Well, in some places it is, but mostly it goes in just fine. Surprisingly the big stuff goes right in, it's all the little things that will eat up your time and money.

There are lots of things to learn along the way, and it will be a love/hate relationship for awhile, but once you get the bugs all out.....Well, you'll just be grinning every time you drive it!

Watch out for my mistake....Keep the HP to less than 300!! I hate having to modulate the power with my right foot. This is like having a shifter kart for the street.

Oh.....and have you given ant thought to the tranny and higher ratios? If you haven't, you will. Don't worry, you really can mod it yourself.

Wes

Click to view attachment
wes42
QUOTE(wes42 @ May 29 2008, 07:29 AM) *

QUOTE(wes42 @ May 29 2008, 07:21 AM) *

Wes

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
dakotaewing
MAS
michaelt55
QUOTE(dakotaewing @ May 29 2008, 09:59 AM) *

Here are some pics I have of various cars...

HEY!! that's my car!! blink.gif
plymouth37
Here is my front end. With Renegades lower valence.

Click to view attachment
michaelt55
Just a question...are those jackstands sitting on coaster dollies? Be careful it does not fall on you........ stationary jackstands are one thing...when they become a rolling jackstand..I dunno...scary! blink.gif
jimkelly
throttle cables - what are you guys using - stock or custom?

how are you routing it?

i am stuggling with this.

Jim
marks914
Here is mine, an extended terry cable, it came with the attachment to the bellcrank as well. Mine is 18" longer, but you could get away with 12"
Mark

IPB Image
cobra94563
I currently using the STOCK throttle cable pulling up the passenger side with a holley running backwards.
I tried a edelbrock, as you have, and also used the stock cable on the driver side and a plate attached to the throttle lever, and pulled from the low side of the acrb. I took the carb off to rebuild it, so no pics available. (didn't seem smooth, but I didn't get a chance to play with the spring tension.)
If I ever have to buy a new cable, i'll probably get a custom.
computers4kids
Well, I came home tonight after work and felt like turning a wrench so I headed for the garage. I went ahead and bolted a sideshifter up to the chevy v-8. I was glad to see once I had pulled the tailshifter which was on there, I saw the a new 9 inch two stage Sachs clutch...yes, the PO had purchased the upgrade clutch package.

Things were moving along, so I figured I would try to see how the motor was going to fit. That was easier than installing a 4! I feel like I'm making progress...the motor is now bolted in place and clearances are good...by pulleys, sides, and the lid will close. I will have to cut the brace on the lid. Anyway, that's enough for today.

Oh...I did notice that the housing that bolts to the water pump was not tight and on closer inspection was just loosely attached with no gasket. Will I find that gasket at FLAPS?...or do I need to source it from Renegade. I guess I could make one as well.
plymouth37
If I remember correctly the gasket you need is off of a 70's big block V-8 Chrysler water pump. That should at least get you close.
jmmotorsports
QUOTE(computers4kids @ May 29 2008, 10:38 PM) *

Well, I came home tonight after work and felt like turning a wrench so I headed for the garage. I went ahead and bolted a sideshifter up to the chevy v-8. I was glad to see once I had pulled the tailshifter which was on there, I saw the a new 9 inch two stage Sachs clutch...yes, the PO had purchased the upgrade clutch package.

Things were moving along, so I figured I would try to see how the motor was going to fit. That was easier than installing a 4! I feel like I'm making progress...the motor is now bolted in place and clearances are good...by pulleys, sides, and the lid will close. I will have to cut the brace on the lid. Anyway, that's enough for today.

Oh...I did notice that the housing that bolts to the water pump was not tight and on closer inspection was just loosely attached with no gasket. Will I find that gasket at FLAPS?...or do I need to source it from Renegade. I guess I could make one as well.

The gasket should be a Fel-Pro 11730

Jerry
BIGKAT_83
The stock cable works fine if mounted correct. I did make the cable mount alot higher in order to open the carb all the way.
Click to view attachment
computers4kids
More progress...installed exhaust, prepped the front trunk and installed the radiator. I pulled the valve cover for fun to take a peek...brand new built 305 with roller rockers to boot. Today, I hope to run the coolant lines and reinstall the gas tank.
computers4kids
After cooking breakfast and some family time...I headed for the garage. Today I ran all the coolant lines under the car, hung the coolant resevoir can, a overflow jug, installed the gas tank and put the front end stuff back together.

I going to need some help on the cutting of the front bumper. I have a very nice early bumper with good chrome...will a plasma cutter cut an opening without screwing up the bumper? I want to put somekind of grill in the opening?? I see renegade offers a spoiler, still looking for options.

I will also need to either cut or buy a dual opening rear valance. OK...enough babble, here's some pics.
computers4kids
radiator lines & front trunk compartment (gas tank, etc)
rhodyguy
which one of the cars in your signature is that? nice progress. narrow body car right? what a sleeper!!! haha.

k
computers4kids
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 1 2008, 11:55 PM) *

which one of the cars in your signature is that? nice progress. narrow body car right? what a sleeper!!! haha.

k

It's the 75 that I stripped down and now is primer. Was going to put Jamie's motor in, but decided to go to the darkside instead. No flairs, atleast not right now. Should be a kick to drive. It will have a built, high reving 305 that should push 300 hp...we'll see.
rhodyguy
does your engine require premium fuel? nice to have a big parts stash to gleen the nice stuff from isn't it. 'like money in the bank honey'

k
computers4kids
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 2 2008, 12:19 AM) *

does your engine require premium fuel? nice to have a big parts stash to gleen the nice stuff from isn't it. 'like money in the bank honey'

k

It will run on regular gas. Good parts are like gold, one of the few things that our economic slow down hasn't effected. Although, I know I will regret selling those 2ltr stainless...they look like they're almost new.

Funny thing about working on this project now, I acutually have to use some of my american tools...that was weird the first time I had to reach for a 9/16th wrench instead of a 13mm. laugh.gif I guess that's part of the darkside.
computers4kids
Moving along...
Took all the brakes off and getting ready to replace all the rotors, pads and bearings. Probably going to put BMW calipers on the front for now.

I'm ready to cut my front bumper...ouch, it's really too nice to cut (early). I lookiing for tips and tricks for cutting the bumper hole and adding a grill to it. I've seen a few out there....how did you do it?

It's also time to lengthen the sideshifter rod. I've read about ideas of adding 1/1/4 inch up to 2 inches in length depending on your end goal. I'm not to sure if just some length is going to work for me. My oil pan is not the stock shape. It's some special pan that the PO had installed when the motor was built. It's shallower and has a wider girth...which may protrude too much for the curve of the rod????
I'll post a picture...it's a bit dark...I'll replace later with a better one.
JRust
Don't ruin a nice early front bumper! Find another used one better suited to cut on. You cut my bumper I'll kill you ar15.gif ! av-943.gif No seriously I would try to find another bumper to modify. Those early ones are hard to find in that shape.

If you really want to do something brake wise you need to go 5-lug. That is a pretty easy swap & gives you more brake options! You also have a much larger Wheel base to choose from idea.gif

As far as extending your rod I get a bunch of emails in my spam everyday about this. I can forward you some f that wil help happy11.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
computers4kids
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 6 2008, 08:47 AM) *

Don't ruin a nice early front bumper! Find another used one better suited to cut on. You cut my bumper I'll kill you ar15.gif ! av-943.gif No seriously I would try to find another bumper to modify. Those early ones are hard to find in that shape.

As far as extending your rod I get a bunch of emails in my spam everyday about this. I can forward you some f that wil help happy11.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

OK...smartass, I did lengthen my rod yesterday, without the help of magic pills. I cut the the rod on the straight section, threaded a good chunk of "all thread" which fit nicely. Adjusted length to be 1 /1/4 inch longer, checked to make sure fit good and then welded it into place. My wife is getting use to her new yard art...had to paint it!

Oh yeah, I put those beautiful early chrome bumpers on my 74 driver, removing the painted ones...which I liked, but will have no problem cutting on for the v-8 project.

Also fabbed a nice throttle bracket...getting closer.

And, replaced all the rotors, pads, and installed new stainless lines. I might drive it a bit to determine how radical or not I need to go with the brakes etc.
JRust
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jun 9 2008, 04:52 PM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 6 2008, 08:47 AM) *

OK...smartass, I did lengthen my rod yesterday, without the help of magic pills. I cut the the rod on the straight section, threaded a good chunk of "all thread" which fit nicely. Adjusted length to be 1 /1/4 inch longer, checked to make sure fit good and then welded it into place. My wife is getting use to her new yard art...had to paint it!

Oh yeah, I put those beautiful early chrome bumpers on my 74 driver, removing the painted ones...which I liked, but will have no problem cutting on for the v-8 project.

Also fabbed a nice throttle bracket...getting closer.

And, replaced all the rotors, pads, and installed new stainless lines. I might drive it a bit to determine how radical or not I need to go with the brakes etc.

Man I forgot all about my smart ass post! LMAO av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif Reading it tonight
computers4kids
A little more progress today...the focus was bumper updates or should I say "bumper backdate."
I drilled the appropriate holes for the early bumpers (front and rear). I drilled and mounted early fog lights. Using Engman's late bumper block-offs (another great member product) I capped the late bumper shock holes. The engman block-off plates were designed for the fronts, but I made them work on the back holels has well. I then mounted my 74 bumpers on the car to check for fit...yes. When I get around to it...I'll pull the bumpers back off and weld-up the titty holes. Got luck today...everything went right.

The front bumper still also needs to be modified for air flow...haven't decided what kind of opening I want to make...or the size of the opening. I've been looking and there's quite a variety out there. I'm really not sure how small I can go and still have efficient cooling here in the hot valley. idea.gif
I really like the last picture's breather opening...but looks pretty small compared to others.
JRust
Looking good Mark! What color are you planning on painting it?

Making progress on mine too. Made a slight miscalculation on my clutch (needed a 200mm not a 215). Ended up ordering a new PP & clutch from Kennedy. Should be here thursday. Then I just need to put my tranny in & I am good to go. Oh & bleed my brakes
TC 914-8
Lots of great pictures, I have a Rod Simpsin kit and the Cooling lines are run thru the rocker panels. When you mount the lines under the car, and come across a speed bump, the first thing to hit is the lines. Yes, with the battery in the front trunk you will have a solid source of voltage for the fans. Your engine compartment and battery tray looks solid, if you keep the battery in the engine compartment I would run no less than #10 and possibly #8 stranded copper.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
TC 914-8
I re-ran the factory cable from two tight turns in front of the engine to sweep under the passenger side header and come up behind the engine. I ordered a linkage kit from Dale Witch on Ebay to make a custon linkage. take a look at the picts. The cable pulls from the passengerside and connects to the drivers side thru the rod and Heim joints.
Click to view attachment
Jeffs9146

This is my favorite V8 conversion and it shows that anything is possible!

Alien Build
computers4kids
QUOTE(TC 914-8 @ Jun 11 2008, 12:31 AM) *

I re-ran the factory cable from two tight turns in front of the engine to sweep under the passenger side header and come up behind the engine. I ordered a linkage kit from Dale Witch on Ebay to make a custon linkage. take a look at the picts. The cable pulls from the passengerside and connects to the drivers side thru the rod and Heim joints.

Tony, thanks for chiming-in...I love fresh ideas. Appreciate the tips on wiring and that's quite an amazing linkage setup you have going. I am going to leave the battery in the engine compartment. After looking at a lot of conversions, I went ahead and ran the lines under the car...if you have a picture of your rockers with the lines running through them I would love to take a gander.

As far as the carb linkage, Renegade sold me a bracket...which didn't fit my manifold for some reason (holes on bracket a tad narrower...too much to slot). Anyway, I came-up the driver's firewall, fabbed the bracket, and used the cable set off a FI throttle body and it seems to work real well...will see.
computers4kids
Today I started installing the Renegade wiring harness that came with the kit. Wiring is not my strong suit and I have four questons. The firs picture is an overview of the wiring harness and where the questions are located. The following four pictures each represent one of the questions. Hopefully this makes sense...
computers4kids
last question
turboman808
QUOTE(wes42 @ May 29 2008, 07:29 AM) *

Oh man that is so sick.
cobra94563
your progress is much faster That I ever got things done. smilie_pokal.gif :

comment on your throttle cable setup...
The cable pivot pulls from the 6 oclock position and ends at approximately the 8:30 position. I noticed when I had that, my cable did not pull the all the way open. The begining and ending position was not in line with the cable path. I'm not sure you will have that problem, but if you do, 2 (of several possible) solutions - angle the cable up, like the picture of big kat's setup, or add plate on the throttle lever to move the cable attachment to the 4-5 o'clock position, and it will pull level to full open at the 7 o'clock position

Sorry,no pics on my setup (I when back to holley setup.)

Thanks for keeping up the progress updates! popcorn[1].gif
JRust
Mark is kind of like diaria with his car. You hold off working on it then it all kind of explodes av-943.gif SO it sits there for a few days & then boom! He gets a bunch done
jimkelly
got a custom cable from terry cable - 18 inches longer than stock - got almost all my throttle range now - still need to install a swivel type linkage at the carb.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.