Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve cover oil breather fittings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chris914
I know people have added external oil breather systems to their 914’s and added fittings to the valve covers because their heads didn’t have the ports be the intake manifolds.

I was wondering where on the valve cover they put the fitting and what type of fitting did they use. A picture would be really helpful and appreciated.
Gint
I just drilled some into my heads. This thing has enough crankcase pressure to operate a small conveyance. Like at least enough for a go-cart.
SGB
Yea, I guess I thought the concensus was that it complicated Valve cover removal too much, but the advantage obviously is the ease of the drilling the cover instead of the head. here is a question: Are 914 valve covers all the same? Are they the same as a VW bus 4? Hmmm...
jhadler
Hopping onto the thread of valve covers...

Now that my motor is FINALLY running, it's leaking form the valve covers (duh).

I'm beginning to suspect that my pretty powder coated valve covers are slightly warped. New gaskets and sealant, and it still leaked. What's the consensus on the aluminum valve covers that bolt on as opposed to using the spring bail?

And if not the bolt on variety, what tips and tricks are out there to prevent valve cover leaks?

I wound up setting off the smoke detector in the garage when I backed the car in. Oil dripping from the valve cover onto the headers...

-Josh2
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(jhadler @ May 28 2008, 10:28 PM) *

Hopping onto the thread of valve covers...

Now that my motor is FINALLY running, it's leaking form the valve covers (duh).

I'm beginning to suspect that my pretty powder coated valve covers are slightly warped. New gaskets and sealant, and it still leaked. What's the consensus on the aluminum valve covers that bolt on as opposed to using the spring bail?

And if not the bolt on variety, what tips and tricks are out there to prevent valve cover leaks?

I wound up setting off the smoke detector in the garage when I backed the car in. Oil dripping from the valve cover onto the headers...

-Josh2

I'll let someone who still has a four confirm this but I have heard they are no good. When I had a four I had them and they did seem to be a problem, but I really didn't drive that car very much.
orange914
heres a valve cover or maybe drilled into head breather on e-bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...:SS:MOTORS:1123
lotus_65
QUOTE(orange914 @ May 29 2008, 02:17 AM) *

i looked at using those, but i didn't see a way they'd mount without contacting the rockers while running the engine. those are identical to the fittings that come with the empi breather boxes btw.

i felt like the best place to vent was at or near the top of the cover, so i flanged a couple 33° brass plumbing elbows and welded them on. i soldered extensions up for the hoses.
then i had to cut new holes in the tin and fixed the hoses to the fittings from above.

it is a pain to remove the valve covers when i want to adjust the valves, but i think it works fine. sorry i don't have any pics...
computers4kids
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ May 29 2008, 04:13 AM) *

QUOTE(orange914 @ May 29 2008, 02:17 AM) *

i looked at using those, but i didn't see a way they'd mount without contacting the rockers while running the engine. those are identical to the fittings that come with the empi breather boxes btw.

i felt like the best place to vent was at or near the top of the cover, so i flanged a couple 33° brass plumbing elbows and welded them on. i soldered extensions up for the hoses.
then i had to cut new holes in the tin and fixed the hoses to the fittings from above.

it is a pain to remove the valve covers when i want to adjust the valves, but i think it works fine. sorry i don't have any pics...

I used those fittngs and kit from CBPerformance...works great. I mounted the fittings on the upper top of the valve cover on the end facing the trunk...placing them in the recess between the rockers. The hose is a bit tight to the bottom of the tin but dooabale. The fitting angle allows you to route the hose upward and I brought the hoses through the tin backing plate...works great. It stopped my oil leaks. I can post a picture later if you want...off to work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.