http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...-1/newsletter01
So.Cal.914
Group Buy? smile.gif
plymouth37
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 28 2008, 10:01 AM) *

Group Buy? smile.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
URY914
From what I have read about this car it has a somewhat clouded history.
It's been rebuilt and renumbered a couple times. Buyer beware.
ericread
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 28 2008, 11:01 AM) *

Group Buy? smile.gif

I'm in for $25.00. beer.gif

plymouth37
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 28 2008, 10:01 AM) *

Group Buy? smile.gif

If all 9,110 members went in for $219.54 we could get it, no one would get much seat time though!
kpfoten
"I want Porsche to win LeMans..."
ericread
QUOTE(kpfoten @ May 28 2008, 11:27 AM) *

"I want Porsche to win LeMans..."

So step up with your $219.54.

laugh.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(ericread @ May 28 2008, 06:55 PM) *

that's interesting - in 2005 a guy from Austria claimed that he owned ths Steve McQueen 908 ... and that's not the guy who would sell it again idea.gif

I think I should ask him if he still has it ...

here are 2 photos that I took at an Oldtimer Fair in 2005

ericread
So does every white Porsche with a number 48 become Steve McQueen's Porsche?

Maybe as a group buy we can buy the entire fleet!!!

PeeGreen 914
Correct me if I'm wrong here. It says that the car was featured in McQueen's movie "Le Mans". I thought he drove a 917. It has been a while since I have seen the movie but I don't remember a 908.
Gustl
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ May 28 2008, 08:09 PM) *

Correct me if I'm wrong here. It says that the car was featured in McQueen's movie "Le Mans". I thought he drove a 917. It has been a while since I have seen the movie but I don't remember a 908.

at the movie he drove the 917

but to get all the real 1970 race sequences he had to qualify for the real race
and he did with the 908 - and he built some cameras on the 908 to be able to take real race atmosphere ...
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Gustl @ May 28 2008, 12:25 PM) *

and he did with the 908 - and he built some cameras on the 908 to be able to take real race atmosphere ...

ah... thanks Wolfgang
URY914
I told you the history of it was a little wacky.
SGB
I'll put in my $219.54! Does that mean I'll get first drive?
race914
My bet is that Seinfeld will be high bidder...
ericread
QUOTE(SGB @ May 28 2008, 04:08 PM) *

So far, you're third in line. You get your one-day ride sometime in October of 2009. I need to perform safety tests for a few months before it goes into the rotation.

BTW; I think it'll be easier if we directly deposit your share into my account. Please PM me with your bank account number, pin, SSN, address, Mother's maiden name and a alternate VISA or MC card number. I'll get right to the transfer as soon as I receive the PM.

drunk.gif
SGB
av-943.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(ericread @ May 28 2008, 08:13 PM) *

So far, you're third in line. You get your one-day ride sometime in October of 2009. I need to perform safety tests for a few months before it goes into the rotation.

$219.54 for a day in a 908? I'm in. Just don't any of you putzes crash it before it's my turn driving.gif
ericread
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ May 28 2008, 09:19 PM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ May 28 2008, 08:13 PM) *

$219.54 for a day in a 908? I'm in. Just don't any of you putzes crash it before it's my turn driving.gif

We'll pencil you in as soon as we receive your funds. Oh, in case I failed to mention... Your track day fees include fuel, pit team, track rental, securty, photographer, medical standby team, timer crew, track safety team, and a few miscellaneous expenses (i.e. eric read's helicopter and New York Condo). So, along with your $219.54, please provide the sum of $141.892.16. Cash is preferred, and should be immediately sent to me in a unmarked FEDEX shipping carton.

My thanks for your inquiry, and see you at the track!
brp986s
QUOTE(Gustl @ May 28 2008, 12:25 PM) *

the Solar Productions 908 was entered in order to film the race but finished 9th - not bad!
mskala
There's a book about this, I can check when I get home, but I'm almost positive Steve McQueen did not actually run in the '70 race, they had other drivers for the car, with instructions on how to operate the cameras and to come in to change reels (quite often). So, finishing 9th is even more impressive driving an older, underpowered, overweight car, with bunches of extra pit stops.
URY914
http://vintageracingservices.com/news/news-mcqueen908.html

Nowhere does it say that SM drove the car at Lemans.
Richard Casto
He was planning on racing, but IIRC the bond holder for the movie would not let him race. He gets hurt/killed in the race, they can't finish the movie. I think the 908 was the camera car, but I also think he was going to be driving a customer 917 if he had been allowed to race. I think I have seen entry list that lists the 917 he would have driven.
kart54
The vintage racing services site is really interesting, thanks URY914. Did anybody check their race rental program?
They rent a 1970 Trans Am Camaro for racing as well as a Porsche 914/6.
Now those would be fun rides. I would truly enjoy driving somebody else's car and not having to worry about breaking it.
McQueen has always said he qualified and drove the car for part of the 24 hours.
McQueen has quite a history. He is also the oldest driver to ever win the 24 hours of daytona. If I remember right he was in his 70's. Driving the final stint after a large lead had been established his times were still similar to the previous drivers and he finished with almost the same margin of victory as he started his stint.

Kart54
ericread
QUOTE(kart54 @ May 29 2008, 12:22 PM) *

The vintage racing services site is really interesting, thanks URY914. Did anybody check their race rental program?
They rent a 1970 Trans Am Camaro for racing as well as a Porsche 914/6.
Now those would be fun rides. I would truly enjoy driving somebody else's car and not having to worry about breaking it.
McQueen has always said he qualified and drove the car for part of the 24 hours.
McQueen has quite a history. He is also the oldest driver to ever win the 24 hours of daytona. If I remember right he was in his 70's. Driving the final stint after a large lead had been established his times were still similar to the previous drivers and he finished with almost the same margin of victory as he started his stint.

Kart54

Dammit! Pay your $219.54 and get in line. biggrin.gif

BTW; Steve McQueen died at the age of fifty on November 7, 1980. sad.gif
URY914
Paul Newman drove the daytona 24 hours when he was in his 70's, not SM. I think PLN only won his class not overall.
carr914
McQueen and #48 3 Races together

T.C.

Click to view attachment

carr914
QUOTE(race914 @ May 28 2008, 07:15 PM) *

He already has #20. Him behind the wheel RennSport II

T.C.

Click to view attachment

carr914
Couple more McQueen goodies

T.C.

Click to view attachment
URY914
Let's see a pic of your jacket, biggrin.gif
carr914
OK

Click to view attachment

signed by McQueen

Click to view attachment

Chad McQueen that is

Click to view attachment
carr914
More McQueen

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

carr914
OT. Paul, here is a picture from Rennsport III with you in it. Therefore, you can prove you take your own pictures when you come out with your coffeetable book with Frenchie's pictures in it biggrin.gif

T.C.

Click to view attachment
URY914
Thanks, TC.

You're getting the first signed copy of my book. Frenchy's getting the second.
race914
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 29 2008, 01:00 PM) *

T.C.

Click to view attachment

He's also got the very first 911 and the last air-cooled 993 too. Nice collection : )
jimtab
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 29 2008, 01:00 PM) *

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Yeah, but it's a coupe....#48 is a spyder......come on..... biggrin.gif
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 29 2008, 12:00 PM) *

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Where's da PORSCHE emblem? rolleyes.gif I'm guessing they wanted to save the couple of grams that the emblem would add. idea.gif Maybe that's why the 914 didn't get an emblem......the factory wanted to eek out the best possible power-to-weight ratio. laugh.gif

Paul
URY914
This ad was in a magazine after the movie...

plymouth37
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 29 2008, 04:16 PM) *

Wow, that is one hell of an ad. What an amazing group of cars.
carreraguy
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 29 2008, 04:16 PM) *

Geez! I'm drooling just reading that! THREE of my favorite freakin' racers!
Can you imagine what they went for in those days!? rolleyes.gif
carr914
McQueen helmet with rainshield.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
URY914
Here he is at Sebring getting the cast wrapped up.

carr914
Foreign LeMans Movie Lobby Cards

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
URY914
smile.gif
carr914
See Paul, even McQueen drove with a wheel condom.

T.C.
URY914
Yes he is Mr. Cool. He can drive anything an be cool.

Here he is in his buggy...

carr914
That kinda looks like a jacked-up version of your lightweight without the body biggrin.gif
Pat Garvey
1981 Parade - Asheville.

Henry Payne (I think)has a 908 in the parking lot of the hotel (Grove Park Inn?). It's about 8 am.

Squirts some starter into the intakes. Fires it up. Starts something like "budda but, budda but" for long enough to get the plugs to fire. Then it (with his help) starts going "buhhm, buhhm, brrp, brrp, brapp, brapp, bbramm, bramm, rappa, rappa". Assume he new the starting sequence. After about 20 seconds the windows of the hotel start to open. Heads poke out, with crooked fingers pointing and people yelling - to no response.

I really wish I'd captured the event on film! Aint't nuthin like the sound of a vintage Porsche.

Beat him in the autocross, with my stock 914. Don't ask!
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.