Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sputering and Backfire when warmed up... Help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
WolfR32
So I have been having what seems to be a cylinder not firing when my 74 2.0 warms up and under load. We thought it was the FI so put Webbers on, but it is still doing it... going for the coil next.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
rhodyguy
what size of carbs? to include all jetting and venturi sizes. bone stock 2.0 other than induction, dist, and fuel pump? check timing, check valves, check for vaccum leaks. ensure equal carb flow with your synchronometer.
WolfR32
The carbs are 40. But this was happening before I went to carbs… I took it in for a check up after I bought it and that is when the trouble started. I drove it back from San Fran with no problems…
purple
You NEED to put post specifically what's in your carbs, otherwise we cant help you. Also, are your valve adjusted, timing correct, good fuel pressure? Carb float level?

for example:

MAIN:1.30

IDLE: .55

AIR: 200

VENT: 28

That's what my weber 40's are. They do the same thing yours do, pop and crack and backfire.
rhodyguy
and you car should not backfire, sneeze back thru the carbs, whatever. nor should it go on it's nose when you give it the gas.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(WolfR32 @ May 29 2008, 11:45 AM) *

The carbs are 40. But this was happening before I went to carbs… I took it in for a check up after I bought it and that is when the trouble started. I drove it back from San Fran with no problems…

Maybe your "check up" guy did something or unplugged something.
Heeltoe914
Check Vavles as well.
rhodyguy
did you keep all of the fuel injection equipment?
Zardozz
I had some backfire/pop-spit issues on my teener and I thought it was a prob with the turbo/carb/jetting. Turned out to be a bad spark plug.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.