Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: air pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gity
I have a 76 914 with the air pump. I do not have to meet any smog req. where I live. Should I remove the air pump and tubing? Any good or bad results? Best way to plug holes? I also have a hesitation at about 4k with stock FI.
blitZ
I removed mine as there is no smog regulation for older cars here. It's less clutter in the engine compartment. I had plugged mine with bolts, but had Len weld them shut when the heads were rebuilt.
Cupomeat
Is it a D-jet (2.0l) or an L-Jet (1.8l)?

The troubleshooting methods are very different depending.

As I think there were almost no 1.8l 1976 914s, I suppose it is a 2.0l.

If so, check the temperature sensor in the head, many are faulty and can cause a hesitation.

As for the Air pump, I'd remove it and plug the holes. Then get an A/F meter and adject the mixture as per D-Jet specs. Shouldn't be much different as it is only dumping air to the exhaust side.

Jeffs9146
If you ever plan on selling it and you don't want to eliminate California buyers then you should leave it on or at least save it! A 76 needs smog in CA.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 29 2008, 11:31 AM) *

If you ever plan on selling it and you don't want to eliminate California buyers then you should leave it on or at least save it! A 76 needs smog in CA.

agree.gif
Rand
Will the CA smog requirement continue to be according to the manufacture date of 1976, or at 32 years of age (or whatever)?

I'm glad we are exempt up here, but I think our system is based on the age of the car. If '76 had smog requirements this year, it would become exempt next year.
hcdmueller
If you don't want to completely remove the system just take out the pump and leave the metal tubing in place.

I did that to mine and the engine ran smoother. It also got rid of the annoying popping in the exhaust on decel.

I thought about plugging the holes into the head but the thread pitch is odd and I had trouble finding the right size bolts.

My car came from California. I got the feeling nobody there was willing to deal with the emissions even though my car was completely stock an running very well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.