Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: e-bay Vendor Bashing - rant
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike D.
I know alot of you don't like e-bay but I check it a couple of times a week looking for that screaming 914 deal on a part.

I have recently notice a Chicago based Company (that I have never used), that sells alot of 914 parts on ebay that are rediculously overpriced at the starting bid. It's just seems stupid. I hope that no one here has ever had to buy anything from them. I just can't get over this... A $10. seal with a start bid $49...old used 5 stud drilled out 4lug hubs for $299. start. I mean come on. WTF, who's the genius behind this. Did the Doc move north for winter?

DAMN... ar15.gif
mike_the_man
Is that Part Werks of Chicago? I bought a heater flapper box from them on ebay last year, before I found this place. I think I might have paid a little too much for it, but it sounds like they've got worse. I don't think I'd buy from them again. I'm sure somebody on here would have the same used parts, for cheaper. And I tend to trust people on here.

I guess they can ask whatever they want. When nobody is bidding, maybe they'll get the hint.
Mueller
Don't blame the seller, it's up to the buyer to be informed before bidding/buying.

I've sold stuff on eBay that I literally couldn't give away locally........does that make me a bad eBay seller?? smile.gif
Britain Smith
I took a whole lot of stuff that I was carting around to the Carleson swap meet and could sell it for cheap...I put it on ebay the next week and the total profit was over $800. It is amazing the power of the internet and ebay.

-Britain
fraggle00
PartWerks - bought a $4 part from them, took 6 weeks and a lot of bitching to get it.

Will never buy from them again. Service was awful and the prices are just as bad.
redshift
Pre-internet days, I used to buy stuff from them as much as any place.

We used to pick up the phone, and tell them what we wanted, was a really odd way, I know... but..

M
VegasRacer
I
There is a simple solution - If you see something you don't like, use your thumb and click the button on the side of your mouse.

Yes I do hate to see people getting ripped off. Take some comfort in knowing that the higher they set their reserve, the more they have to pay in listing fees. Just hope that nobody bids and eventually they will either go broke or change their ways.

eBay rule # 1 - caveat emptor.
Mike D.
agree.gif
I know it's buyer beware, especially on e-bay. I just had to rant, I kind of feel bad for 914 owners who don't know about us, and end up buying from businesses like that.
And, I too have sold items on e-bay that were unsold at several local swap meets but damn, that's just Highway Robbery!
I've just seen those adds more and more and I can't believe them.
-Mike D.
double-a
i've been a 914 owner for just a few months, so i've only had one dealing with partwerks, and it was mostly good. i won a couple parts from them on ebay and when they arrived, they were both for the wrong year car. to their credit, they quickly remedied the situation, giving me a credit on something else, and shipping me new, correct parts for free.

so, decent first experience there, but i wouldn't bid on most of their ebay stuff, seems too off the charts to me.
Doug Leggins
I agree, their ebay prices are too high! And they strip the parts down so you have to buy each piece of the assembly.

A few weeks ago I called them and asked for pricing on a few parts. Some of the prices were the lowest I could find anywhere, other prices they met the price that other vendors were offering. For my total order they were the low cost vendor. I was surprised by this because of their high ebay pricing. I decided to give them a try with a small order.

My order was about $175. Probably about $25 less than what others were quoting. HOWEVER, I did not ask about shipping charges! - my mistake! Got charged about $40 for shipping charges on what I think should have been easily less than $20 actual shipping charges.

All done - I paid the same as I would have just about anywhere else. I did have problems with my order. They were a little difficult to work with resolving the incorrect shipment, but after a couple of calls they satisfactorily worked it out.

I'm much more likely to take my future business to people that care about and support the 914!
Joe Bob
Yeah I don't even bother looking at their crap....there has been many a thread on them on the skyrat board.....
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I have bought some items from them off of E-Bay. never a problem. My first big purchase for my 914 was a rebuilt trans axle $995.00 that was in Nov. of 2000, no problems. They were a little slow on the return of my core charge,but not bad. Any time I buy anything on E-bay I set in my mind what I will pay with shipping and don,t go over that. Any one can ask anything for a item , no one puts a gun to your head to buy it. my 2 cents Dave smilie_flagge6.gif
morph
I have sold a lot of stuff on e-bay, when I sell used parts I try to set the starting bid low, some stuff I thought would sell for a lot didn't sell, and some stuff I thought wouldn't sell sold for a lot. E-bay is mostly about getting a good price on things, or getting hard to find parts. If their prices are too high, no one will buy from them and they are going to pay really high insertion fees. I have never bought from them, but I have seen their stuff. smile.gif
Hawktel
If you don't like their prices, don't buy from them. If you feel strongly enough, do not buy from them, and recruit more members to here so that they can get educated.

headbang.gif
Rgreen914
I bought one item from "that" place last year (the rubber elbow that goes between the throttle body and the air-cleaner on a 1.7). When it arrived it had a couple of cracks in it and I tried to contact them by e-mail, since it was not supposed to have any cracks. After several tries, no response! Since then I have spent a couple of thousand dollars on teener parts on and off ebay and "that" place will never get another penny from me!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.