Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: And now, the moment you've all been waiting for...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dbgriffith75
That's right, I finally got around, stole my wife's digital camera, and took some shots for y'all. By rights I should be heading to work right now but I was so excited to do this that I said screw it- I'm on time every day anyway, they won't b*tch about me being late once. Besides it's made a good rainy day project.

Anyway, I tried just attaching them to this post, but I'm no digital picture wizard, and so the pics are just waaaay too big to attach. So instead, I built a web page for them. Somehow a high school project of mine survived for the last 7 years w/out the host domain deleting it, so I just used that. I do want to warn you tho- unless you've got high speed, this page could take a while to load- the pics are HUGE! But it's okay, because you get a good view of everything.

So without further delay, here's the link:

http://mystyk3.tripod.com/porschepage.html

And now with them accessible to you guys, I have some questions I'd like to ask about a few things. Unfortunately I really should be off, so I'll try to get back tomorrow. For now, enjoy; and thanks for your patience. biggrin.gif
ericread
Very nice - looks like quite a project!

I'm pretty sure you can fix the Hell Hole with a little bondo biggrin.gif
rick 918-S
Get busy! sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
Heeltoe914
Have a great time at it. Whats the Plan? Driver, showcar. A/X??
SGB
Wow, you got the rumored Helmet optioned car?
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(SGB @ May 29 2008, 09:17 PM) *

Looks like a Great option if your heater is disconnected. smile.gif
dbgriffith75

Looks like a Great option if your heater is disconnected.

It is quite a great option. The mongrol's shedded hair puts a nice coating of insulation all throughout the interior. biggrin.gif

Have a great time at it. Whats the Plan? Driver, showcar. A/X??

The plan is to sell it once it's finished. I'm just too dang tall to fit in the car w/out the top off and even then it's a squeeze. I'd like to try and drive it once it's running again just to see how smooth it rides, but I don't know if that'll be possible as my knee hits the steering wheel, making it quite challenging to get my foot on the clutch.

So anyway, on to the questions I was talking about yesterday:

Looking at Pic #6 you can see where I have new feul line installed. Well kind of, since right now the tunnel lines are out. I had the tank in it before when I was trying to get it to run; but pulled it back out to do the cleaning. Anyway, I was curious- since I'm going to be replacing the tunnel lines with steel (stainless, as was suggested to me a couple days ago), why wouldn't it be a good idea to route a steel line from the pump to the tunnel line? Just route it in the same direction as the rubber line- from the tunnel, off to the right and curving back around to the pump, leaving it short a few inches to allow a rubber line to run from the pump to the hard line (for ease of changing the pump.) Seems to me it's a good idea to prevent kinking in the line. Has anyone done this and what would be disadvantages?

Then look at Pic #8- what's a good way to go about fixing spotty rust like that? If you look at Pic #7 and see the areas I've sandblasted, that's what the rust damage is like in all those areas. I know by rights I should just get a replacement trunk pan, but I don't see why patch work can't be done instead. I was thinking of tacking sheet metal to the underside of the pan, and then using seam sealer or equivalent to fill it in. I'm pretty sure bondo doesn't adhere to rust; and I wouldn't want to use that anyway. Any suggestions?

And finally, pics #4 and #5 of the hell hole. I was looking at the left side engine shelf, and I noticed there was a plastic plug in a hole in that side; but that it wasn't in the bottom but offset to the right on the slope of the metal. (Prolly shoulda gotten a shot of this so we could compare, haha.) Is that a drain hole, and if so, is there supposed to be one on the right side as well? Seems to me that there should be drain holes in these areas, because it doesn't matter how well you seal something up, water is bound to find its way in there one way or another.

That's all I've got for now. Thanks in advance for the advice.
dbgriffith75
Nobody has any suggestions for me?
So.Cal.914
My Uncle is 6'-6", he drove one as a DD for 20 yrs. If your 6'-7" Nevermind.
brer
Looking at your hell hole all I can say is read "bringing out the dead" thread. Excellent technique and overview of the structural issues involved in repairing that area.

In the trunk I would cut out the rusted areas and make some clean patched for the upper area, replace the whole trunk pan in the lower part.

Lots of work to do right.
Are you committed to the project? I only ask because its going to be ALOT of work, but that could be fun if you like metal work.

I certainly don't have the talent to get that deep into one.

beerchug.gif
dbgriffith75
Are you committed to the project? I only ask because its going to be ALOT of work, but that could be fun if you like metal work.

Committed enough to do what needs to be done. I'm not a huge fan of doing metal work; but my career straight out of the Corps was a welder; so I'm very familiar with working with steel. Besides that this isn't the first car I've restored, so I'm also familiar with the work needed to do sheet metal repair.

I was just looking for suggestions on other ways to repair the rust as opposed to just replacing the whole trunk pan; so thanks for the tips.

My Uncle is 6'-6", he drove one as a DD for 20 yrs. If your 6'-7" Nevermind.

Try 7'1"- nah, not really biggrin.gif I'm 6'3", and I could probably deal with driving it if I really wanted to; but as far as interest in keeping this car around either as a toy or dd, I'm really not that interested.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.