Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Supplier for electrical connectors?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ScottD914
Gentlemen; I'm well into a major rust repair job on my '74/ 914/4 and I've decided to replace my wiring harness (since it out of the car anyway) with modern GXL automotive wire. I found a supplier for the wire that matches the factory color code, but I haven't found a source for the OEM VW connectors. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
esp
You may be able to find the connectors at Tyco Electronics' site

http://www.tycoelectronics.com/industry/automotive/

However, I don't know if you will be able to purchase small quantities of connectors from Tyco or any of the big distributors.

Another option may be to replace just the terminals in the connector. You could crimp new terminals to the wires and insert the terminals into the old plastic housing. Similar terminals may be easier to find than the entire connector because the plastic housings my not be NLA.
brp986s
not sure about this but auto atlanta used to advertise the connectors.

there are similar connectors on eagleday.com. maybe call them and see if they can locate them.

there is a place in england with a website named something like automotive wiring products.com Might be 'auto' or 'automobile'. I googled it recently

I used to get them at import car parts stores, but haven't tried that in years.

oh yeah, maybe member Jeff bowlsby still makes harnesses - use search

good luck
championgt1
agree.gif Bowlsby harness. Look him up on a member search.
ScottD914
Gentlemen; Thanks for the guidance, I'll scope all the suggested sources. Shopping's easy! Once I have the parts I'll have to put on my wire-biter hat and get'r done.
914Sixer
If I remember correctly a company called AMP made the connectors from the middle 70's on. They were big in the telcom industry also.
esp
AMP was purchased by Tyco International and later spun off into Tyco Electronics. I don't think that there were a lot of connector companies around back then, so there is a good chance that AMP made the connectors.
TimT
Eagleday
ScottD914
Thanks to all for your guidance. Tim suggested Eagleday.com! That's an impressive collection of products! Check it out! Eagleday

AvalonFal
Try www.rallylights.com. They have the small uninsulated female terminals that have the barb on the back to hold them into the OEM plastic housings, if you want to reuse the housings. I just bought 25 of each size from them, so small quantities should be OK.

Paul
MrKona
Someone mentioned a UK company. It is Vehicle Wiring Products

Eagleday is great, and you will notice that they have many of the same products as Vehicle Wiring Products, but when I built a harness a couple years ago, I had two orders shipped from the UK, as the prices are better than Eagleday. Shipping was very reasonable. They only charged me $10 per shipment I believe.

You can find any connector you need to build a new harness except for the large plastic connector that fits into the fuel pump relay near the battery tray. You'll have to reuse yours, or if it's broken, find one from an old harness.

Before you go ahead and build an entirely new harness, you might want to strip off the old brittle casing on your current harness, simply inspect the terminals and wiring, make any needed repairs, and then recover the harness. It's a lot easier and cheaper! A little heat from a heat gun makes the brittle casing temporarily much more pliable and easier to cut off. This approach saves you a lot of time and expense, not to mention having to acquire an OEM ratcheting crimper for the terminals. I picked up a spare wiring harness earlier this year, took off the old casing, inspected it, and then put a fresh casing on it (fire-resistant Polyolefin heat shrink tubing). Replacing the injector boots is more difficult since you are trying to slide them over the terminals. In this case, I simply wrapped the terminals with a little electrical tape, put a little oil on the tape for lubrication, and the boots slid on right over them.

Some pictures of the recovered harness attached...
MrKona
Oh yah, and you will, of course need a tool to remove the terminals from the plastic connectors.

Bus-boys.com sells a cheap one that I've used. Item # ZVT-90601, Fuel injection harness pin tool. $2.95.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.