Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Poll: Is your tranny mounted corectly in the rear?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
Recently I have noticed a lot of trannies that are incorrectly installed concerning the rear mounts. One was soo bad that at a race the rubber in the mounts pulled out leaving the tranny to lie on the ground and breaking the throttle link on the carbs. The other two were on well raced SCCA race cars, but they were not as bad of an error as the dropped tranny one.
Attached is a pic of how it is supposed to go:

40 is the nut that goes on top of 35

35 is a plate that was missing on the dropped tranny racer. This plate keeps the bolt 38 from pulling through the mount 36

36 is held to the frame with 2 grade 8 13mm bolts and nuts, 41, 42, 43

Now comes the parts that always get screwed up.....

37 is mounted below the mount with the CUP PART FACING DOWN. I have been finding these facing up and this will not stop your tranny from sliding off of the bolt. The cup of 37 is meant to go over the ear from the tranny that grabs the bolt.

Then 39 is the washer for the bottom of the ear, which is last to go on.
Dr Evil
I reposted to fix the poll....I wish I spell check the poll dry.gif
Eric_Shea
Please Do Not Mount the Tranny.

Click to view attachment
davep
barf.gif barf.gif
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif
Trevorg7
Guess who did mine?

T
Krieger
QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ May 30 2008, 02:37 PM) *

Guess who did mine?

T

Your what? barf.gif
plymouth37
My tranny is sitting on my garage floor right now but I plan on mounting its rear soon.

barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif av-943.gif
zymurgist
I don't know how Babydoll's tranny is mounted, but if it's wrong it's all my fault.
Borderline
Thanks Mike! I should have known you would know the correct way to mount a tranny with all the experience that you have!

Do you always use a rubber? I've switched over to a hard mount at the rear but not sure what to do up front.

confused24.gif
sww914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 30 2008, 02:25 PM) *

Please Do Not Mount the Tranny.

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the advice, I'll try to stay off of that one. Yucky.
SLITS
No matter how I mount it I am always correct ..............
type47
oh no! i read this and had to look at mine. on one of mine, the cup (37) is "down" and correct but the bolt 38 goes the other way. on the other, the cup is missing!
0-fer

can someone post a clear pix of the cup. maybe i have one in my stash but can't ID it from the parts diagram.....
Dr Evil
I have some if you need one. I can send it with your 11/32 socket poke.gif
Chris Hamilton
This thread got me a good WTF.gif are you looking at.

Damn over the shoulder internet browsers. wacko.gif
Wilhelm
When you mount the tranny don't good manners imply something about reaching around?
plymouth37
QUOTE(Wilhelm @ May 31 2008, 01:48 AM) *

When you mount the tranny don't good manners imply something about reaching around?

Well that visual just ruined my day! Please don't include an assembly diagram of that manouver!
flat4
QUOTE(type47 @ May 30 2008, 07:37 PM) *

oh no! i read this and had to look at mine. on one of mine, the cup (37) is "down" and correct but the bolt 38 goes the other way. on the other, the cup is missing!
0-fer

So is mine. It does make it harder to get the box in or out, but otherwise I don't think it matters. I will switch next time I have it apart.

Cheers, Steve
type47
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 30 2008, 07:48 PM) *

I have some if you need one. I can send it with your 11/32 socket poke.gif

thanks but just wait until the ECC. if i could see a pic, i can see if i have one. 11/32? is that some special klingon (couldn't think of a nationality to not insult... biggrin.gif ) dilithium crystal gadget? laugh.gif
type47
OK now, i'm not obsessing that i have a part mis-mounted or missing on my car. nope, the Dr made me do it. so, i searched my parts stash and came up with this. sorry for the poor pix but there are 2 washer styles (i suppose) the washers look identical except one has a notch in it. i looked at my 74 and it has a washer with a notch so i installed washers with notch in the 73. the 73 (bahia red in avatar) had solid transmission mounts when i bought it. the question came up, of course, on how to orient the notch properly. idea.gif my wag is so that the notch will keep the mounting bolt in (so it's facing the side of the car, either one) and then when you want to drop the trans (and engine) you just loosen the mounting bolt and rotate the washer so the trans ear can slide off the bolt.
scotty b
QUOTE(Borderline @ May 30 2008, 04:59 PM) *

Thanks Mike! I should have known you would know the correct way to mount a tranny with all the experience that you have!

Do you always use a rubber? I've switched over to a hard mount at the rear but not sure what to do up front.

confused24.gif

Internet search says a reach-around is normally acceptable
Dr Evil
QUOTE(type47 @ May 31 2008, 06:41 PM) *

OK now, i'm not obsessing that i have a part mis-mounted or missing on my car. nope, the Dr made me do it. so, i searched my parts stash and came up with this. sorry for the poor pix but there are 2 washer styles (i suppose) the washers look identical except one has a notch in it. i looked at my 74 and it has a washer with a notch so i installed washers with notch in the 73. the 73 (bahia red in avatar) had solid transmission mounts when i bought it. the question came up, of course, on how to orient the notch properly. idea.gif my wag is so that the notch will keep the mounting bolt in (so it's facing the side of the car, either one) and then when you want to drop the trans (and engine) you just loosen the mounting bolt and rotate the washer so the trans ear can slide off the bolt.

Notches go in towards the tranny. They are fro the tranny ears.

I find it disturbing how Eric always has that nasty pic on tap when someone mentions tranny.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 31 2008, 08:29 PM) *

I find it disturbing how Eric always has that nasty pic on tap when someone mentions tranny.

have you ever been to his house? the place is packed with "trannies" ...
shades.gif Andy
type47
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 31 2008, 08:29 PM) *

Notches go in towards the tranny. They are for the tranny ears.

which is strange because the notch is narrower than the ear and clears the ear by at least 1/4" if not 3/8", that is, if there wasn't a notch there would still be 3/8" clearance between the rim of the washer and the trans ear.
Dr Evil
Ya know, I could be wrong about the notches now that I think about it. You may have something with your "sliding the tranny out" theory. I couldnt find a diagram.
roadster fan
I thought the notched cup washers were for the rubber outside motor mounts and the notches fit around the cross bar. The non-notched ones are for the tranny, though either will work just as well back there.

Don't know for sure, just a recollection.

Jim
type47
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Jun 1 2008, 12:06 PM) *

I thought the notched cup washers were for the rubber outside motor mounts and the notches fit around the cross bar. The non-notched ones are for the tranny, though either will work just as well back there.

you're correct! according to PET illustration 119-00 that shows a notched washer on an early (tail shift) engine mount bar part number 15.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(type47 @ Jun 1 2008, 04:44 PM) *

QUOTE(roadster fan @ Jun 1 2008, 12:06 PM) *

you're correct! according to PET illustration 119-00 that shows a notched washer on an early (tail shift) engine mount bar part number 15.

Ah ha! Thats why I couldnt find a diagram with them on the tranny.
Jax914
yeah...the notched ones are for the early engine mount bar...

chris914
These are off my car. Are they stock?

Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
yup
FourBlades

The last thing I expected this morning from the forum was pictures
of trannies with #37 cups....

icon8.gif icon8.gif icon8.gif
watsonrx13
Dr., is this mounted correctly?

IPB Image

-- Rob
Dr Evil
Yup smile.gif thumb3d.gif
watsonrx13
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jun 25 2008, 01:57 PM) *

Yup smile.gif thumb3d.gif

Great, now I can answer this poll correctly.... laugh.gif

-- Rob
r_towle
Two extra heavy duty coat hangers here.
I sprung for the thicker coat hangers...I figured it was worth the extra 0.12 for the thicker ones...

they are a bitch to bend, but its still holding up after all these years.

Rich
zx-niner
Now I'm confused. Rob's photo shows the bolt pointed downward. The diagram appears to be opposite. I don't think this makes any difference, but it's not stock. I've only seen and installed mine like Rob.
Dr Evil
QUOTE(zx-niner @ Jun 25 2008, 09:30 PM) *

Now I'm confused. Rob's photo shows the bolt pointed downward. The diagram appears to be opposite. I don't think this makes any difference, but it's not stock. I've only seen and installed mine like Rob.

Good eye smile.gif It doesnt matter, but I too have only installed them with the bolt pointed down.
PeeGreen 914
I think it's better having the bolt down. You really should turn the bolt when you tighten. So if you have the nut up it really will be a bitch to turn.
scotty914
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jun 26 2008, 12:26 AM) *

So if you have the nut up it really will be a bitch to turn.

sorry i could not resist

if it is a tranny turning the bitch's nuts is just revenge for putting me in that situation
ArtechnikA
Mine were installed by the factory, so I'd have to consider that 'someone else.' I figure they installed them correctly...
J P Stein
Save some weight with WEVO.....my nuts are down....... and now tight.
RJMII
So, what's better... nuts up or nuts down? I pulled my drivetrain this morning and it was nuts down, too. I had it in there that way so if the nut came off, then the angle would keep me from losing too many pieces.
J P Stein
"Best shop practice"......an oldie but goodie.....is: whenever possible you tighten the nut. You won't learn that in college. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.