Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Scissor lift installed in pit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PRS914-6
Thought I would post my installation of a scissor lift. It's a full rise scissor lift made by Bend Pak and will raise a vehicle 6 feet. It's designed to sit on the floor and ramps were included but I hated that you could only get one car at a time in the shop and the lift kind of consumed the area. The two post systems are much cheaper but then you have posts to deal with.

So, out came the saw, shovel, forms and concrete truck. Once the concrete cures, I will drop it in the new hole and the lift will be flush with the surface of my shop with 3/4" clearance all the way around. No more ramps or metal sticking up. I even installed an underground conduit for the hydraulic hoses and the air emergency lock system.

The idea being to be able to use the garage like normal and still have a lift. It was a lot of work but I hope it will be worth it in the long run.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
Yeowza... nice job (as usual)

Humor us; show us a picture of something you've done 1/2 assed! Let us know you're mortal damn it!! biggrin.gif
biosurfer1
So when do us locals get a tour??
PRS914-6
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ May 30 2008, 10:31 PM) *

So when do us locals get a tour??

My plan is to paint my shop and replace the lighting in the next month. Once I'm done with that I'm planning on having a "celebration" BBQ since the car is done too. Can't pick a date until I'm done though.
URY914
Very nice. If you're going to do a job, do it right. And you did.
iamchappy
Just what i dont need, having to start on another project, Thanks!

Good work, I have considered recessing my lift into the floor as well, I have to use wooden ramps to drive up on to clear the lift.
Gint
Nice!
PRS914-6
Another thing to consider if you are doing this and have a roll up door......I installed a Liftmaster 3800 jackshaft door opener. It operates off the spring shaft on the wall unlike the chain or screw style that sits overhead in the middle of the garage, just ripe to stick through the top of your car. sad.gif I also extended the door tracking up 12". When open my door almost touches the ceiling, only eating up a few inches of ceiling height now.
Gint
I've been considering one of those for some time now to get the extra clearance for my lift. How much room does the liftmaster box need on the side of the door?
Krieger
smilie_pokal.gif Very nice! I've never seen anything like that. Please post some pics when complete.
PRS914-6
QUOTE(Gint @ May 31 2008, 06:38 AM) *

I've been considering one of those for some time now to get the extra clearance for my lift. How much room does the liftmaster box need on the side of the door?

Normally you need about 3 inches vertical and 9" on the side. It can mount on the right or left side. I actually cheated by notching out the sheetrock and raised my shaft and operator even higher. The limiting factor is the spring shaft, not the operator. To get maximum clearance, I raised the shaft as high as possible and then raised the end of the track as high as possible. The result is a track that is not quite level overhead but it really doesn't hurt anything and it gives maximum clearance in the center where you really need it. With my 10' ceiling, I can raise the 914 the full height of the lift and walk under the car without bending over. I'm a short guy though.......
Gint
My ceiling is only 9.5' and I'm not really short. I need all the room I can get. I'm using a hydraulic stool on wheels and roll around underneath. It actually works pretty well, but I'd love to get the extra height.
roadster fan
wub.gif Another inspiration. I agree with Eric, please show us something you did in your shop below your usual standard. please, please, please....... pray.gif

Awesome job. I saw a similiar project on another forum (garage journal maybe) that had a cover over it to make a smooth floor when not being used. No chance to roll an ankle etc.

Jim
plymouth37
Wow, nice setup. I need one!
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 30 2008, 11:17 PM) *

Humor us; show us a picture of something you've done 1/2 assed! Let us know you're mortal damn it!! biggrin.gif

E,

You ought to see his tractor leak hydraulic fluid! biggrin.gif I benefitted from this purchase and install. I got his previous lift that goes to about 40" high... Plenty for me.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 1 2008, 10:55 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 30 2008, 11:17 PM) *

E,

You ought to see his tractor leak hydraulic fluid! biggrin.gif I benefitted from this purchase and install. I got his previous lift that goes to about 40" high... Plenty for me.

To bad Clay didn't have you around when him and Slits had there 'Height' contest.
PRS914-6
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 1 2008, 09:55 AM) *

[You ought to see his tractor leak hydraulic fluid! biggrin.gif

Hey I fixed that!!! chair.gif Of course the reason was that the leaking hydraulic fluid was costing me 10 times more than the damn seal to fix it.

Yep, I admit I am anally picky. Think about my poor wife having to deal with that slap.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jun 1 2008, 11:15 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 1 2008, 09:55 AM) *

[You ought to see his tractor leak hydraulic fluid! biggrin.gif

Hey I fixed that!!! chair.gif Of course the reason was that the leaking hydraulic fluid was costing me 10 times more than the damn seal to fix it.

Yep, I admit I am anally picky. Think about my poor wife having to deal with that slap.gif

Well there you go... I have been to Paul's house several times and the tractor was the only thing that came up a little short... And now, even that is biggrin.gif

Paul, do you have pics of the lift in the sunken bed yet?
PRS914-6
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 1 2008, 10:28 AM) *

Not yet. I'm really chomping at the bit to stick it in there w00t.gif but I don't want to chip the concrete since it's so green. That lift weighs about 1500 lbs and it will tough to drop it in without incident.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jun 1 2008, 11:43 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 1 2008, 10:28 AM) *

Not yet. I'm really chomping at the bit to stick it in there w00t.gif but I don't want to chip the concrete since it's so green. That lift weighs about 1500 lbs and it will tough to drop it in without incident.

Do you need help dropping it in? I know you are tight with your neighbors but I could come up if you want. I want to get you to install those Elephant Bushings on my rear control arms anyway. And I have a little repair to do on some lugs I got from Eric Shea. Two popped out during the shipping. He tack welds them in and maybe you could reweld them?

Are you going to lower it in with the tractor?
NoEcm
QUOTE(PRS914-6 @ Jun 1 2008, 11:43 AM) *

I'm really chomping at the bit to stick it in there w00t.gif but I don't want to chip the concrete since it's so green. That lift weighs about 1500 lbs and it will tough to drop it in without incident.

Depending on the concrete mix your ordered, you may want to wait a week or two before dropping the lift in.

In the meantime, keep the concrete damp as to allow it to dry very slowly. Consider covering the new concrete with something that will retain moisture like towels or burlap. Even covering it with a sheet of plastic and watering it once a day will help the concrete to cure stronger.

Google "curing concrete"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete#Curing:

"Improper curing can cause scaling, reduced strength and abrasion resistance and cracking"
r_towle
Think like the egyptians.
Lay four 2*4's over the pit, drag the lift onto the boards.
Once it is lined up perfectly, jack it up, remove three of the boards, lower it down....

Rich
rhodyguy
what did the opener run you? nice unit. combine them with the high lift track and there is quite a bit of overhead clearspace.
PRS914-6
Rich, I was thinking of rolling it on on a couple of long pipes until it's sitting over the hole. Then attaching chains across the unit on both ends long enough to get a floor jack under the chain. Jack it up, remove the pipes and lower it down. Remove the chain.

The operator lists for over $400 but you can easily find them for $300.00 if you look around.
PRS914-6
OK, lift is in the hole and it works great. Control panel located on the wall. Just need to install a cover plate over the pit connecting the two sides.

Click to view attachment
Krieger
Very nice work!
Michael N
QUOTE(Krieger914 @ Jun 2 2008, 07:34 PM) *

Very nice work!

agree.gif Super clean install.
ConeDodger
Just saw it in person... It is fanfreakin' tastic!!! Thanks again for the bubblegum Paul!!!
So.Cal.914
That is SOooo awsome.Click to view attachment
tdgray
Tooooo cool :Schwing:
6freak
QUOTE(tdgray @ Jun 3 2008, 08:19 AM) *

Tooooo cool :Schwing:

Fan freak`n tastic But wait wheres the beer fridge...........Nice work..... pray.gif the lift
So.Cal.914
pray.gif the lift
roadster fan
wub.gif

Jim
trojanhorsepower
Man that looks great. Please post a video of it picking up your 914 now that it is installed in the floor. My father-in-law has one of those, but the little one that only lifts the car ~ 36".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.