Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire pressures
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
What is the best starting pressure for autox
205/50 15 Khumo V710

Gotta run tommorow, so please give advice.

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 31 2008, 05:39 PM) *

What is the best starting pressure for autox
205/50 15 Khumo V710

Gotta run tommorow, so please give advice.

what does khumo recommend? i'd say, start somewhere in the low/mid 30s and see how that feels and adjust accordingly ...
shades.gif Andy
r_towle
did that last season...they get really greasy if you start at the Khumo pressures...they end up in the 40's after one run...

Just looking for a few guys that are running these to see what everyone else likes to do...we ended last year at 26lbs all around when cold...

Rich
plas76targa
Rich, I have Kumho's that are the 205/50's ..forgive me not sure if they are the V710's. I ran the last two AutoX's here with them in the hight 30's - 36-38. The chalk lines wore off really close to the shoulder's. I'm still a novice in the AX arena but I hope this helps.
mskala
I've reduced the pressure over the last few years, our cars are light and you want to have a good sized contact patch. I've gone down to ~28, keeping them there by just letting out air every run if necessary. This may be different using the 5.5" rims you have. I have 7" rims and am using 215/40/16 V710's, so my sidewalls are also smaller.
Borderline
Depending on your suspension setup, I've had 24/26 recommended to me and with the way my car has been lightened, I've run as low as 20/25!!!

Kumho's recommendation of low 30's is for cars that weigh 500-1000 lbs heavier than ours!

Have fun!
PeeGreen 914
I am running 225/50s at 27lbs. They feel good from start to finish.
plas76targa
Wow, after reading these replies I may try less than the 36-38 I've been running.

Rich - curious, what did you end up trying over the weekend and how did you do?
Joe Ricard
26 cold seems to be about right as I try to maintain 30 hot. Tire pyrometer readings over 110 are considered warming up.

I usually see pressures raise about 3 to 4 degrees per run till they stabilize at a temp.

PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jun 2 2008, 06:26 AM) *

26 cold seems to be about right as I try to maintain 30 hot. Tire pyrometer readings over 110 are considered warming up.

I usually see pressures raise about 3 to 4 degrees per run till they stabilize at a temp.

agree.gif
r_towle
we ran 26 cold.
Never touched them...not my idea of fun.

We will go up a few pounds in the rear to allow a bit more sliding.

Rich
PeeGreen 914
You didn't get any heat in them?

You shouldn't be sliding. If you are the tires have too much or too little air.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jun 2 2008, 11:03 AM) *

You didn't get any heat in them?

You shouldn't be sliding. If you are the tires have too much or too little air.

If you're not sliding, you ain't tryin' hard enuff. biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif Maybe that's wht Britan Is faster blink.gif
PeeGreen 914
So I talked with a fellow teener who AXs with me who is running the same tires you are. His car feels very nice on the track and he is running 31 and 33.
r_towle
track and autox are different animals..

Sliding the rear end in tight chicago boxes has a certain advantage...
We are close...we will tune it in over time.

Rich
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 2 2008, 05:07 PM) *

track and autox are different animals..

Sliding the rear end in tight chicago boxes has a certain advantage...
We are close...we will tune it in over time.

Rich

I still disagree, but what do I knw... My times are slow. unsure.gif
r_towle
tires dont heat up as much during a 1 minute autox versus a 20 track session.
The turns at an autox are much more severe versus a sweeping turn at a track....

I would prefer more tire pressure at the track and less at an autox.

The sliding can be controlled once we get the pressures perfect.
these autox setups favor the 911's typically, so there are long high speed sections, and turns that work best of you can swign the ass of the car around and then stand on the gas...like a 911.
In the 914 the car tends to bod down if you loose to much speed, so a bit of sliding helps keep the speed up.

We were less than a second behind the winner of the class, so we are close...there was a bit of push and with the whole new suspension, new tires, new steering rack, new front bar etc etc...its just fine tuning now...but we will win this year...
Rich
PeeGreen 914
You need to come out here for some good AXs. Ours are designed by a teener but still keeps it good for the momentum cars like the 914. I've never had the priveledge of taking my car to the track, but I AX regularly. So does the guy that I gave you his tire pressures. I think the part I am sidagreeing with is your term sliding. If by that you mean drift I would agree as when you are exiting a box your car with drift out a little, but you do want to avoid that as much as possible as it slows you down. If you ever find yourself out in our area and we have an AX you are always welscome to codrive my car biggrin.gif I welcome all tire warmers wink.gif

So on another note... my tires raise about three to four degrees on the first run... did this not happen to you? It should have unkess it was really cold out or rainy out.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jun 2 2008, 05:38 PM) *

If you ever find yourself out in our area and we have an AX you are always welscome to codrive my car biggrin.gif I welcome all tire warmers wink.gif

So on another note... my tires raise about three to four degrees on the first run... did this not happen to you? It should have unkess it was really cold out or rainy out.

Come July 5 (weather permitting) we can swap rides.....also assuming there is sufficient time. biggrin.gif

My tires gain 3-6 lbs pressure every 2 runs, assuming normal ambient temps.
Usually this subsides after 3-4 of such cycles then holds constant. Brit & I drive very much the same....he just goes a little faster everywhere....about 2 sec quicker on a 60 sec course.

Booting the back end around a particular cone is acceptable practice in my book.
The LSD makes that much more controllable.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 2 2008, 06:06 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jun 2 2008, 05:38 PM) *

If you ever find yourself out in our area and we have an AX you are always welscome to codrive my car biggrin.gif I welcome all tire warmers wink.gif

Come July 5 (weather permitting) we can swap rides.....also assuming there is sufficient time. biggrin.gif

My tires gain 3-6 lbs pressure every 2 runs, assuming normal ambient temps.
Usually this subsides after 3-4 of such cycles then holds constant. Brit & I drive very much the same....he just goes a little faster everywhere....about 2 sec quicker on a 60 sec course.

Booting the back end around a particular cone is acceptable practice in my book.
The LSD makes that much more controllable.

I am really trying to make that but at this point I am not sure. I have a baby due on the 9th of July. It would be fun to see how your car goes. You have a bit more power and a bit less weight.

I agree with the after a few runs it holds constant, but Rich is saying he did't get any change. #1 they need to be checked as not all tires get the same heat as others so you need to make sure they all are the same at the beginning of the run. My tires raise about 4lbs on the forst run, 2 lbs on the second, and sometimes 2 more on the third. That would be 8lbs from where I started. Plus, when I start out my tires are cold so the second run should have more grip if at the correct PSI and the third run should be the best.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.