Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CNG conversions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
echocanyons
Is there anyone here has done a CNG (compressed natural gas) conversion on a car?
I was wondering if our aircooled cars (4 and 6's) have the potential for this conversion?

I am not sure if there are any CNG fillup pumps here in california but I remember lots of them in Utah.

Is there any kits available to retrofit to CNG

just thinking out loud really
ericread
I believe the CNG auto project was brought to a close here in California after the auto manufacturers pulled their support of the technology about 18 months ago. This would leave me to believe fuel stations are no longer available.

Maybe someone else can add to this...

JB 914
nope they are available, at least in Orange county LA County. there is a station in Seal Beach and some others, according to my neighbor, who has a Honda Civic that is CNG. there is also a kit you can install at your home to fuel up from home.

If i drove alot in the city i'd consider one with a home fuel kit. they are about the same cost as a the conventional Honda once you take advantage of the incentives.

Sorry can't help you on the conversion quesitons:(
Mr.C
There is a home fueling setup you can buy to fill your CNG vehicle. I can't remember the name of the company. Basically what it does is hook up to your house line. It takes a few hours to fill though, because it has to work with a 1/3lb of pressure coming in and pump up your tank to something like 1500psi I believe. I don't know the exact figure, but if you fill at home it works out to something like a $1.25 a gallon.
The CNG Honda Civic was offering these as a package. If I remember correctly the CNG compressor was around $3000.
dbgriffith75
Just start stocking up on LP tanks for gas grills biggrin.gif
roadster fan
I just saw a public CNG filling station at San Jose International Airport the other day so I would guess others are around too.

Jim
ericread
Oops rolleyes.gif So I was wrong...

Here is a link to a map for CNG filling stations around the US.

http://www.cleanenergyfuels.com/stations/stations.html

bye1.gif
3d914
You might want to do some further reading to be certain there is a real gain from this type of conversion. It may appear so on the surface, but may actually be otherwise. Here's a place you can start.

Good luck,
roadster fan
QUOTE(3d914 @ Jun 2 2008, 08:34 PM) *

You might want to do some further reading to be certain there is a real gain from this type of conversion. It may appear so on the surface, but may actually be otherwise. Here's a place you can start.

Good luck,

That study is from 1990. You would need to use the formulas and the current price of gasoline to come to a new conclusion. Excluding taxes the price of gasoline is 69cents in that study.

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.