Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaking gas cap. Fumes when cornering hard.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
It seems my original metal gas cap leaks a little on hard cornering. Pelican no longer offers it. Any other sites?

Can the cork gasket be replaced? I'd rather not go to a aftermarket cap. confused24.gif

Roy.
SGB
wow your car looks nice. I can't answer your question. I just like the car.
Spoke
popcorn[1].gif

I have 2 older caps that both leak fumes. Can I use the rubber gasket from the new (VW type) caps I've purchased?
nothing to add for a fix...

my older cap leaks fumes, also!

i'm waiting with Spoke....
QUOTE(SGB @ Jun 1 2008, 06:48 PM) *

wow your car looks nice. I can't answer your question. I just like the car.

Thanks, but... Good from far, but far from good. Needs alot of work. shades.gif
davesprinkle
QUOTE(96740 @ Jun 1 2008, 06:41 PM) *

It seems my original metal gas cap leaks a little on hard cornering. Pelican no longer offers it. Any other sites?

Can the cork gasket be replaced? I'd rather not go to a aftermarket cap. confused24.gif

Roy.

I cut a new gasket out of a sheet of rubber. Make sure it's Buna-N or Nitrile. 1 beer, some scissors, and 3 or 4 minutes. Works like a charm.
I cut a new gasket out of a sheet of rubber. Make sure it's Buna-N or Nitrile. 1 beer, some scissors, and 3 or 4 minutes. Works like a charm.

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif I've got the beer.
Brett W
There ain't much way the early caps can be fixed. The cap is the same as a Vangon cap if I remember right. You can replace them but the tank will still leak fumes when cornering hard. I tried different thing to try and get mine to stop leaking. Even the new one leaked. You really should update to the later model stuff. 75-76 has the nicer screw on cap.
QUOTE(Brett W @ Jun 1 2008, 10:00 PM) *

There ain't much way the early caps can be fixed. The cap is the same as a Vangon cap if I remember right. You can replace them but the tank will still leak fumes when cornering hard. I tried different thing to try and get mine to stop leaking. Even the new one leaked. You really should update to the later model stuff. 75-76 has the nicer screw on cap.

Oh well. I kinda like the smell anyway. drunk.gif w00t.gif yellowsleep[1].gif
2-OH!
You can make the cap seal from sheet cork from any FLAPS but that might not be the real culprit...

Mine continued to leak fumes until I replaced the seal under the scupper...That was the real problem...And, if you overtorque the dozen or so small bolts, the new seal will leak because it will crack open...Don't ask me how I know, 2 seals later...

Replace both and make sure under the tank is dry (old rubber lines not leaking)and the problem should go away...

2-OH!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.