Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is RPM Redline?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfort
the engine is an early 2.0L case with 2.7L pistons/cylinders for 2.5L displacement. E cam. getting a shift light so that I don't over rev engine but I have no idea how to program it. what is an appropriate red line for this engine?
brant
it depends a lot on how the heads are built
If they are stock heads, with stock-spec springs, and stock weighted everything...... then I'd go with stock redline for those heads.

ericread
The engine RPM redline is just under the rpm when your engine implodes. My recommendation is to rev the engine until it seizes. The redline is about 300 RPM below that point. biggrin.gif

"If you don't ask, how are you ever going to learn"

Seriously, the redline is based upon the engine geometry, heads, valves valve springs, etc, etc, etc. Not easily ascertained form the information you have provided thus far. idea.gif

sixnotfour
it depends a lot on how the heads are built
If they are stock heads, with stock-spec springs, and stock weighted everything...... then I'd go with stock redline for those heads.

add
E cam

jmill
The valve train is usually the RPM limiting factor. To increase redline above stock you would need to go with heavier springs and/or lighter valves and keepers. Valve float is what gets you into trouble with piston to valve clearances.
Downunderman
With E cams, shift light 6,800, limiter 7,100.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.