Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What would you do? Problem with a customer who is
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hwgunner
So back in very early January, I got an email from a seller that needed some parts that I had. It turns out that his inventory was off and I happen to have what he needed. He asked if I could ship 4 of a particular item to one of his customers right away and I said I would and that I would send him an invoice later.

I sent the items out the following day. A coule days later I get another email that the same customer needs 2 more of the same item so i say ok and send those out the following day. the day after the second shipment went out I sent an invoice to this seller and asked him to mail a check, along with a copy of his resale license since I did not charge him sales tax.

Several weeks went by without payment and I contacted this person again. He said that he thought the check had gone out and that he would check into it. He got back to me and said that the check had just gone out.

Several more weeks went by and nothing so I contacted him again. This time he said that he looked into it and that the check had gone out but had not been cashed so he would put a stop on the check and send another. Several weeks later nothing again and so I get ahold of him again and he says that he will send a check. Here we are today and no check.

I have not tried to contact this person again because I wanted to see how others would handle it. I am not going to say who it is yet but I may in the near future. I should also say that when I made this deal I was aware that there were plenty of people who had complained about this person but decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and do it for him. I have since read of other problems and am just tired of waiting based on BullShit excuses. What would you do in this case?? I feel like I am getting sheeplove.gif
HeloMech
tell him enough is enough and if he doesn't pay up, you're going public... freedom of speech and all. Then if he's actually a 'seller' with a license, etc... call the BBB. They won't close the case until they know you are satisfied with the results.
SGB
Give him 72 hours to wire the money to you.
http://www.westernunion.com/info/selectCountry.asp

hwgunner
Forgot to mention that I gave him a deal on teh parts that i sold him also. I did not charge him full price. I made $1.00 on each one. He, I would guess, made considerably more than that.
So.Cal.914
I went to your store and looked around (nice place), you are a legitimate business Man. There are legitimate ways to deal with this. Like SGB said 72hrs.
orange914
that stinks... i hope everything is just misunderstandings. i've always been impressed with the high quality of the group here. i've bought and sold many times here and never been shanked, well just once were a part was paid to be but wasnt insured (broken in the mail)... blaa, blaa, blaa.

anyway, i'm hoping for the best, but IF it turns out wrong we all need to be up on the particulars. not to have our noses in it but to keep the site safe for all. beside that it may just keep him on the up-n-up. he may just have his hands full (not that that is an excuse). beerchug.gif

mike
computers4kids
Hello People...January, I don't think so. It's now June. His grace period has expired. Call the BBB.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jun 2 2008, 08:49 PM) *

Hello People...January, I don't think so. It's now June. His grace period has expired. Call the BBB.

agree.gif 72hrs and then he's toast. You have always been fair with me and it is not fair of him to take advantage of you.
Heeltoe914
You seem to have gone out of you way to give him a chance good for you. Me no way! I have been burned to many times.

Send him a link to this topic let him know the power of the Internet goes far beyond this group of 914 owners. Tell him to Pay up our start looking for a new career. No names until your ready to say goodbye to your money. Maybe???
Is he selling more than just 914 stuff? find out where he is promoting himself and drop a topic on that board. He’ll pay.

I I know its not the money that your after I understand that it’s the principle of the whole thing.
sean_v8_914
I like Heeltoes idea
lotus_65
popcorn[1].gif
ericread
Given that there are always a number of flakes proportonate to any population, this board has grown to a point where membership does not guarantee integrity. That said, you really need to re-evaluate your business practices.
1. You shipped several units of a product on a verbal agreement (no cash).
2. You shipped a secondary set of products, again on the verbal agreement (no cash).
3. Your profit margin on the items shipped was ~$1.00 each.

Sounds like you're in the wrong business. idea.gif

Any time a customer needs immediate shipping, it shouldn't be that difficult to secure funds. Money wire, Paypal, etc. If the buyer can't come up with the money now, then what makes you think the buyer will be good for it later?

Your profit margin should be a no-fly zone. You need to be reimbursed for your expenses and your time, otherwise, why would you continue making/stocking the product? And when someone you really trust requires a no-sh*t emergency order, it is not unethical to add a service fee to this order. Since you havn't gotten payment up-front, you do have an increased risk of non-payment. Your bill should reflect that increase in risk. Additionally, you probably don't want to reward buyers that create emergency requests. Discount for orders placed in advance, but never discount emergency-ship orders.

Lastly, once you out a customer, you open yourself to questions of integrity. New customers don't want to hear that you publish a list of "bad customers". And quite frankly, do you really think outing the customer will result in payment? Continue to contact the customer, or turn it over to a collection agency. But don't lower your standards just to "get back" at the bad customer.

Yeah, out of morbid curiosity, I'd love to see the name of the person that didn't pay, but it just isn't good business practice. happy11.gif

Just my $.02. confused24.gif

hwgunner
This person is not really a customer, he is a seller who needed a favor because he did not have the part that he needed and I did. As for the profit margin, I generally make more on the item but discounted to him because he re-sells the part. It is no longer about the $$. It is about integrity. but what is the difference between this situation and one where this seller takes a persons money and then does not ship the item purchased??

Now, as for being in the wrong business, I am in this to make a profit but I do not have the financial stake in it that others do. I have a real job and that is the bread and butter. This all started because I love 914's and wanted to get a little extra $$$ for the habit. I saw that I could offer parts, many of them cheap, and make a little for myself. I am in the right business. I just need to be a little smarter.

QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 3 2008, 07:35 AM) *

Given that there are always a number of flakes proportonate to any population, this board has grown to a point where membership does not guarantee integrity. That said, you really need to re-evaluate your business practices.
1. You shipped several units of a product on a verbal agreement (no cash).
2. You shipped a secondary set of products, again on the verbal agreement (no cash).
3. Your profit margin on the items shipped was ~$1.00 each.

Sounds like you're in the wrong business. idea.gif

Any time a customer needs immediate shipping, it shouldn't be that difficult to secure funds. Money wire, Paypal, etc. If the buyer can't come up with the money now, then what makes you think the buyer will be good for it later?

Your profit margin should be a no-fly zone. You need to be reimbursed for your expenses and your time, otherwise, why would you continue making/stocking the product? And when someone you really trust requires a no-sh*t emergency order, it is not unethical to add a service fee to this order. Since you havn't gotten payment up-front, you do have an increased risk of non-payment. Your bill should reflect that increase in risk. Additionally, you probably don't want to reward buyers that create emergency requests. Discount for orders placed in advance, but never discount emergency-ship orders.

Lastly, once you out a customer, you open yourself to questions of integrity. New customers don't want to hear that you publish a list of "bad customers". And quite frankly, do you really think outing the customer will result in payment? Continue to contact the customer, or turn it over to a collection agency. But don't lower your standards just to "get back" at the bad customer.

Yeah, out of morbid curiosity, I'd love to see the name of the person that didn't pay, but it just isn't good business practice. happy11.gif

Just my $.02. confused24.gif

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(HeloMech @ Jun 2 2008, 08:18 PM) *

tell him enough is enough and if he doesn't pay up, you're going public... freedom of speech and all. Then if he's actually a 'seller' with a license, etc... call the BBB. They won't close the case until they know you are satisfied with the results.

And exactly what would calling the BBB do? The Cap'n
ericread
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Jun 3 2008, 08:00 AM) *

This person is not really a customer, he is a seller who needed a favor because he did not have the part that he needed and I did. As for the profit margin, I generally make more on the item but discounted to him because he re-sells the part. It is no longer about the $$. It is about integrity. but what is the difference between this situation and one where this seller takes a persons money and then does not ship the item purchased??

Now, as for being in the wrong business, I am in this to make a profit but I do not have the financial stake in it that others do. I have a real job and that is the bread and butter. This all started because I love 914's and wanted to get a little extra $$$ for the habit. I saw that I could offer parts, many of them cheap, and make a little for myself. I am in the right business. I just need to be a little smarter.

You are correct on all accounts. I was just making a general observation regarding the protection of margins in a risk-based sales scenario. I certainly didn't mean to imply any negativity towards you.

My point is that just because many of us here are hobbiests (as we do not provide these products as our primary source of income) we should not allow ourselves to supply product at a price which is below our costs (taking into account both materials, our labor and risk). And we should recognize that although we may be selling to fellow board members, the sales risk is nearly the same here as if you are selling to an unknown buyer in eBay.

Now we're up to my $.04. wacko.gif

PanelBilly
No good deed will go un-punished. I've been told that many times. I recommend you pester him. Call everyday. Leave messages. Send emails. Make your name or the sound of your voice remind him that he needs to pay. Leave messages at his work. Make it a game for you and an anoyance for him. Squeeky wheel thing.
6freak
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 3 2008, 08:28 AM) *

No good deed will go un-punished. I've been told that many times. I recommend you pester him. Call everyday. Leave messages. Send emails. Make your name or the sound of your voice remind him that he needs to pay. Leave messages at his work. Make it a game for you and an anoyance for him. Squeeky wheel thing.

BASEBALL BAT THE MOTHERF%$# LESSON LEARNED ...NUFF SAID HOW DO YOU LIKE ME KNOW
dbgriffith75

agree.gif And when that doesn't work...

BASEBALL BAT THE MOTHERF%$# LESSON LEARNED ...NUFF SAID HOW DO YOU LIKE ME KNOW

agree.gif with that.

biggrin.gif
brer
no need to post any names.

A phone number will suffice.

happy11.gif
BKLA
Options:

• Report him to a credit agency. Not Cheap, but sometimes worth it. Can f&@k up his credit!

• If you really don't care about the money, then turn it over to a collection agency (unless its too little). They will pester him but good. you will never get back what you are owed, but might make you feel better.

• Point out that the 914 community is small and has a loooonnnnngggg memory! KARMA dude, KARMA

• Set up a time driven boycott of him and his company. (See note above!)
bandjoey
Ask for a friendly attorney on the world site, or an attorney friend, (comp) to send him an invoice for the full retail amount, including sales tax and shipping with pay or else. hopefully, he'll pay.

after holding your money so long, favor pricing is out.

small claims court?

mad.gif
Heeltoe914

Well you mite find yourself in court. Harassment is a bad call.
Heeltoe914
Ok I feel better now cheer.gif

I checked all emails to make sure I didnt forget to pay someone.
Not me biggrin.gif
carr914
Out the Bastard, I say
auerbach
is this the same guy who sold stuff and never shipped?
hwgunner
ot but Heeltoe914, do you know Tubular George??

QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Jun 3 2008, 05:28 PM) *

Not me biggrin.gif

hwgunner
My mommy is an attorney!

QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 3 2008, 01:32 PM) *

Ask for a friendly attorney on the world site, or an attorney friend, (comp) to send him an invoice for the full retail amount, including sales tax and shipping with pay or else. hopefully, he'll pay.

after holding your money so long, favor pricing is out.

small claims court?

mad.gif

PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Jun 3 2008, 05:24 PM) *

Well you mite find yourself in court. Harassment is a bad call.

I think it would be tough for him to prove harassment when he owes you money blink.gif Maybe that's just me but I know crediters do harass people and it seems to be fine. confused24.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(auerbach @ Jun 3 2008, 06:51 PM) *

No..... and THAT guy eventually made good....
Heeltoe914
QUOTE(hwgunner @ Jun 3 2008, 07:54 PM) *

Not me biggrin.gif

Yes I do we have meet a few time in the past at differant SOLATUBE Conferences. Good man.
hwgunner
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Jun 3 2008, 08:39 PM) *

QUOTE(hwgunner @ Jun 3 2008, 07:54 PM) *

Not me biggrin.gif

Yes I do we have meet a few time in the past at differant SOLATUBE Conferences. Good man.

He has done some tubes for us. aktion035.gif
ericread
QUOTE((*)(*) @ Jun 3 2008, 08:20 PM) *

QUOTE(auerbach @ Jun 3 2008, 06:51 PM) *

No..... and THAT guy eventually made good....

Holy shit Batman!!!

AUERBACH - I'm in love with your avatar wub.gif
auerbach
if he is in NY and you want a letter, just ask. Heck, I'll even sue him!
hwgunner
QUOTE(auerbach @ Jun 3 2008, 09:24 PM) *

if he is in NY and you want a letter, just ask. Heck, I'll even sue him!

Thanks but he is not in NY. the amount is really kinda rediculous also for a lawsuit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.