Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spent the weekend with our little Germany Brother and
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
It's funny what brings friends together. I have a 1957 VW Oval project car that has been on the back burner for about 15 years. I have a couple of friends also into Beetles. We have talked for years about getting our cars done and hitting some of the Bug events we always read about.

14 years ago my friend Josh bought a 1966 Beetle. He took my trailer out to California and picked it up as a project. After the paint went on he drove it unfinished for two summers and put it in storage. College, marriage, and a son later and he decided to get a sail boat and offered the car to me.

So, I have another friend (Jason) who purchased a 61 Beetle from California a year after Josh. Josh and Jason were best friends growing up and were into sailing, skate boarding and snow boarding. In fact, Jason's Dad Steve started a snow board manufacturering company because of these two guy's interest in snow boarding.

(Globe Snow Boards)

OK, Fast foreward over 14 years. I finally get Jasons car painted two years ago. We have been working on Josh to finish his car, instead he bails and sells it to me last fall. The planets align, and both cars actually were running and driving, Jason's girl friend, my wife and us bone heads decide this is our chance. We head out with Steve following us in case we need tools, a tow or anything else...

We made it to Stillwater Saturday night. Things were going great but the dark sky's were a little un nerving huh.gif

Click to view attachment

About 20 minutes later all hell broke loose!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

It lasted about 10 minutes! The end result was a bunch of dented trim but the sheet metal and paint is ok! unsure.gif
Click to view attachment

We made it to the show and met up with Kelly and Kyle, Chappy and Ollie, Bill, Paul and Sophie. I didn't get pics of everyone. I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off. But It was great to see everyone!

Here's some of the show!
Click to view attachment

And the best part! My friend Jason placed 2nd with an unfinished car! I figure I won as well as I painted it. smile.gif

Click to view attachment

Oh! And Kelly left early so I collected his first place Trophy!

Click to view attachment

BTW: I averaged about 33 MPG with a 12 year old tune up.. screwy.gif
iamchappy
Great job Kelly! Nice second on the bug with the Ron Rico rum motif interior.

Kelly is going to have to build an addition for his trophies.
rick 918-S
More show pics!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

rick 918-S
I'm glad you got the pics Chappy! Here's a shot of Jason's rear view mirror smoke.gif
iamchappy
How about this one Rick, I would love to give this one a makeover, it was in need of some TLC.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(iamchappy @ Jun 2 2008, 07:58 PM) *

How about this one Rick, I would love to give this one a makeover, it was in need of some TLC.

I asked the guy about it. No sale... dry.gif
ConeDodger
Nice... Where was the show? I don't recall a VW dealership in Stillwater.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 2 2008, 08:00 PM) *

Nice... Where was the show? I don't recall a VW dealership in Stillwater.

Westside Volkswagon St. Louis Park over in Mpls. We Drove down WI 35 from Duluth. It's all 2 lane and 55 mph. We stayed in Stillwater Saturday night and drove in to the metro Sunday.
lotus_65
Hey, it was great seeing everyone!
Sorry we had to bail, but it was the first nice day of the spring (literally) and the pool was calling!

Paul (and Ghia-girl Sophie cheer.gif)

P.S. This is her first ear in almost 2 years! New front teeth, & she was stoked!
Click to view attachment
rick 918-S
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Jun 2 2008, 08:23 PM) *

Hey, it was great seeing everyone!
Sorry we had to bail, but it was the first nice day of the spring (literally) and the pool was calling!

Paul (and Ghia-girl Sophie cheer.gif)

P.S. This is her first ear in almost 2 years! New front teeth, & she was stoked!
Click to view attachment

Nice to see you again Paul. Tell Sophie I said she has great taste in cars! We had a really nice Ghia parked over by us. I wub.gif those things!

Oh! BTW: Jason's girl friend Amy bought a 1973 VW Thing from the car corral. Solid rust free, faded paint and lots of dings, running with like 40,000 miles for $2500.00! what a steal!
type11969
Nice, I had my 69 out for the first time this year last weekend, forgot what a blast it was to drive. The little 1.8 t4 helps. Love the looks and waves.

Click to view attachment

Looking forward to the rest of the show season. Dig your Beetles!

-Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.