Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: through bolting the relay cover
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yeahmag
I tried some two part epoxy and 1/4"-20 all thread to make a new threaded rod for my relay board, but the epoxy didn't hold. Can I just drill all the way through and lock it in place? Is there a better way?

Thanks! I'm getting real close now!!!

-Aaron
SirAndy
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jun 2 2008, 07:51 PM) *

I tried some two part epoxy and 1/4"-20 all thread to make a new threaded rod for my relay board, but the epoxy didn't hold. Can I just drill all the way through and lock it in place? Is there a better way?

good question ... someone here probably has a old board that they can dissect to see if there are any circuits running under the boss for the threaded rod ...
idea.gif Andy
dbgriffith75

-Aaron

good question ... someone here probably has a old board that they can dissect to see if there are any circuits running under the boss for the threaded rod ...
Andy

YES, there are circuits running underneath the boss. DO NOT DRILL IT! Well... unless you want to replace the board. biggrin.gif

What I reccommend is going to your local hardware store and just picking up a few bolts of various thread types and sizes that look close to what you need. Get them of the appropriate length, but longer than what you need by an inch or so. And make sure to get metric. You should be able to buy them individually for cents a piece, maybe a little over a dollar depending on what you get. And buy wingnuts that will fit each one as well. And washers if you need them.

And I can't remember who, but somebody here mentioned using those felt pads that are used for the bottoms of chair legs that keep them from scratching the floor, so pick up a pack of those as well. Between the bolts, wingnuts, and pads the total package should cost only a few dollars.

Then just go back to your shop and simply figure out which bolt will fit in the boss. Once you know, screw the appropriate wing nut onto the bolt, cut off the head, smooth the burrs by filing or a bench grinder, whatever you prefer, and screw the wingnut off the end that you cut the head off. This will make the 1 or 2 threads you need for starting the wingnut. Then install the stud, punch a hole through one of the felt pads and slip it over the stud onto the relay cover. This will keep excess moisture, dirt, etc. from getting in there.

And there you have it. I'm actually yet to do this myself, but that's how I plan on doing it and I don't see why it wouldn't work. So unless somebody's got a simpler, shorter method, that's the best I can do for ya.
yeahmag
The 1/4-20 is finished quite nicely... I may try JB Weld. If not I'll go up to 5/16" and try that (it's easier for me to find wing nuts in SAE). I also had set it up with a lock nut and a large washer to take the load. I finished it off with a wing nut and rubberized sealing washer. Looked great! Too bad the glue didn't hold...
bperry
Yep there are traces directly under the Boss.
See photo.

Click to view attachment

I'm surprised that epoxy didn't work.
The key will be to get the board clean, clean, clean.
Also I'd rough up the plastic a bit.

I'd use a threaded standoff and glue it into the boss hole
making sure it stuck up out of the hole a bit with plenty of extra epoxy.
You probably will have to enlarge the hole to get the standoff to fit and give
enough room for the epoxy.

Then you can use a threaded rod or even the original rod if you have it.

Some expoxies I've used are total crap. They kind of harden and don't
stick to plastics. I've had good luck with LocTite.
Make sure it lists wood/metal/glass/Tile/Plastic.

Also let it cure for the full 24 hours.

--- bill
yeahmag
I cleaned the entire board with electronics cleaner, but it seems to be very weak. I'll try roughing up the inside of the bore a touch with a dremel and a sanding drum. Who knows with this epoxy, it dried hard, but I've heard you complaint from more than one person.

I like the idea of a stand off too... Is that a standard hardware store item?
ericread
QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ Jun 3 2008, 12:00 PM) *

-Aaron

Andy

YES, there are circuits running underneath the boss. DO NOT DRILL IT! Well... unless you want to replace the board. biggrin.gif

What I reccommend is going to your local hardware store and just picking up a few bolts of various thread types and sizes that look close to what you need. Get them of the appropriate length, but longer than what you need by an inch or so. And make sure to get metric. You should be able to buy them individually for cents a piece, maybe a little over a dollar depending on what you get. And buy wingnuts that will fit each one as well. And washers if you need them.

And I can't remember who, but somebody here mentioned using those felt pads that are used for the bottoms of chair legs that keep them from scratching the floor, so pick up a pack of those as well. Between the bolts, wingnuts, and pads the total package should cost only a few dollars.

Then just go back to your shop and simply figure out which bolt will fit in the boss. Once you know, screw the appropriate wing nut onto the bolt, cut off the head, smooth the burrs by filing or a bench grinder, whatever you prefer, and screw the wingnut off the end that you cut the head off. This will make the 1 or 2 threads you need for starting the wingnut. Then install the stud, punch a hole through one of the felt pads and slip it over the stud onto the relay cover. This will keep excess moisture, dirt, etc. from getting in there.

And there you have it. I'm actually yet to do this myself, but that's how I plan on doing it and I don't see why it wouldn't work. So unless somebody's got a simpler, shorter method, that's the best I can do for ya.

agree.gif

I purchased a short piece of all-thread, a matching wingnut and a round felt pad (as described above). Superglued the all-thread to the post hole and 15 minutes later, it's done. The felt pad is used on top of the cover to prevent dust from entering the all-thread hole and to keep the cover from rattling. It's worked perfectly for about the past 9 months. And (most importantly) it is effective and cheap!

aktion035.gif
bandjoey
long velcro strap from a sewing shop? stretch cord? popcorn[1].gif
type47
shame on you for not getting METRIC all thread.... biggrin.gif
ericread
Shame on you for not getting METRIC velcro strap... biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
So if you go in and ask for 100cm of velcro strap is that metric velcro strap? biggrin.gif
yeahmag
You guys are useless...

smile.gif
bperry
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jun 3 2008, 02:51 PM) *

I cleaned the entire board with electronics cleaner, but it seems to be very weak. I'll try roughing up the inside of the bore a touch with a dremel and a sanding drum. Who knows with this epoxy, it dried hard, but I've heard you complaint from more than one person.

I like the idea of a stand off too... Is that a standard hardware store item?

Try Lowe's.
They have a specialty section in the hardware isle.
Lots of cool stuff in blue drawers.

You might look at using a binder/screw post.
It looks like a flat top screw but it is hollow and the threads
are on the inside.
There is a part that is like this (different name, I can't remember) but
it is used on wood. It has the hole all the way through it so you could
slip it inside the boss opening with the flat top sitting on top of the plastic boss.
If you get the one for wood, you might have to cut or file off the spike that
sticks into the wood. If possible you might want to keep them as they
will keep the post from spinning/turning. If you keep them you will have to
drill or notch the boss for the spikes.

here is a link to a picture of what I'm talking about.
ScrewPost.com
Sorry I don't have a photo of the wood version.

I have purchased these and the wood version at Lowe's.

You should be able to find something that will work.

--- bill
dbgriffith75
I purchased a short piece of all-thread, a matching wingnut and a round felt pad (as described above). Superglued the all-thread to the post hole and 15 minutes later, it's done. The felt pad is used on top of the cover to prevent dust from entering the all-thread hole and to keep the cover from rattling. It's worked perfectly for about the past 9 months. And (most importantly) it is effective and cheap!

Is there a problem w/ the studs working loose from the boss or something? There's all this talk of epoxy and superglue and loctite and condoms and prescription drugs... erm, ignore those last two...

The boss is threaded so I don't see why an epoxy is needed if the stud is properly "torqued" per say. Unless this is just being done as an extra measure to ensure that it doesn't.

So if you go in and ask for 100cm of velcro strap is that metric velcro strap?

Yes, it is... and while you're there make sure to pick up a muffler belt and have your tires inflated with summer air. You don't want that nasty winter air throwing your car off balance. biggrin.gif
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jun 3 2008, 08:57 PM) *

You guys are useless...

smile.gif

Weird, I hear that from my wife a lot biggrin.gif
ericread
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jun 4 2008, 09:43 AM) *

QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jun 3 2008, 08:57 PM) *

You guys are useless...

smile.gif

Weird, I hear that from my wife a lot biggrin.gif

Yeah, that is weird. After I hear that from a lot of people, I sometimes wonder if it's something I've said?
confused24.gif

yeahmag
I guess the original boss on my relay board is long gone. The only thing I have is a smooth, non-threaded, plastic hole.

Geez... The air in my tires is two years old. Does it go bad sitting on jack stands?

wink.gif
eastbay851
as stated before. why glue and then cut etc. stretch cord battery hold down. large rubber band from a wind-up balsa wood airplane?
76-914
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
realred914
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jun 3 2008, 07:57 PM) *

You guys are useless...

smile.gif

what you trying to do here????

is teh stock threaded hole in the relay plate stripped? I recall the rod is a bit thinner than a 1/4 -20 rod

whats the broken part that you need to fix? maybe there is a better way.

so whats broke?????
yeahmag
I fixed this over a year ago! The sanding/epoxy did the trick.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.