Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who is an original owner?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Any original owners out there? Do you still have the window sticker?

I'm curious as to what they sold for. pray.gif confused24.gif beerchug.gif

Roy.
smontanaro
I'm not the original owner but I do have the window sticker at home for my '70 /6. I think it was a touch over $6k. I'll try to remember to check it after work today.

Edit: window sticker says 6,309.50. MSRP: 6,099.00. Transportation charge, $25.50. Options were: metallic blue paint, $95.00; leather covered steering wheel, $35.00; tinted glass, $55.00.

Also, I bought a 1973 1.7l new for a touch over $5000.

Skip
dw914er
my mom is the original owner

its a 73 1.7 with the appearance package with metallic paint job (silver) and sold for $6044.23. This isnt technically off the window sticker (car was ordered) but shows the price.
DonTraver
My Step-Dad John was the original owner, he owned her for 30 years and then sold her to me. Sort of became a family heirloom. After John died last year, Mom told me that John had been worried about where/who his 6 would go to after he died. He was really happy that I asked about buying it and restoring it. When he sold her to me, she had 11k on a fresh engine, and everything worked. I took it from there, and everything still works.

He sold her to me for $10k. How cool was that for a rust free 1970 914-6. During the restro, I only found two spots of rust about the size of a small fingernail.

Later, Don
Pat Garvey
I bought mine on 8-21-72. Don't have the windoe sticker, because I lived in Kentucky - who uses the window sticker to apply sales tax when you register (doesn'r matter what you paid for the car - the sticker or Kelley book applies). Don't even ask me about the 70E I bought for a bargain fron Tn! Kentucky is VERY good at knowing how to screw you.

But...I still have my original BOS from Classic Porsche/Audi (Cincinnati). With appearance group, I paid $4295.50. A bargain, right? That was almost 50% of my annual earnings then! Times changed & paid it off in 18 months.

Don't want to think about the bucks I've spent since then for part & resto to keep it alive. But who cares when it's your only child!
Pat
Nie Zu Alt
I'm not the original owner, but here is the window sticker from my '73 1.7L with the same options - appearance group and silver metallic paint!

IPB Image
JeffBowlsby
I have a growing collection of window stickers on my collectibles webpage at the link in my signature below.
QUOTE(Nie Zu Alt @ Jun 3 2008, 10:44 PM) *

I'm not the original owner, but here is the window sticker from my '73 1.7L with the same options - appearance group and silver metallic paint!

IPB Image

Holy cow! That's cool. beerchug.gif beer.gif smilie_pokal.gif
dw914er
QUOTE(Nie Zu Alt @ Jun 3 2008, 10:44 PM) *

IPB Image

nice, notice our price difference. Mine was in Des Moines, so delivery fee was more. Also mine came with the Mahle pressure cast wheels, undercoat, and the porsche stripe kit. Amazing though
Pat Garvey
Great stuff guys, but......

Am I the ONLY one who is an original owner? Seriously doubt that. Where are the rest of you old farts? Well, actually, I'm only 61, so there has to be someone who's at least 64 who still is an original owner. Speak up!

The topic was original owners. Think hard, old farts. I don't want to be alone here.
Pat
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jun 5 2008, 08:25 PM) *

Am I the ONLY one who is an original owner? Seriously doubt that. Where are the rest of you old farts? Well, actually, I'm only 61, so there has to be someone who's at least 64 who still is an original owner. Speak up!

The topic was original owners. Think hard, old farts. I don't want to be alone here.
Pat

Wow. In today's world, keeping a car for this long is rareity. What a relationship. That Neal Young song ... "Long may you run" comes to mind. beerchug.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZORK6nI8kg
dw914er

Pat

well, my mom is the original owner. I am just going to get the car (legally) when i finish college. And I just happened to drive it since I had my license.

My mom is younger than you though, Pat.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(dw914er @ Jun 5 2008, 11:43 PM) *

Pat

well, my mom is the original owner. I am just going to get the car (legally) when i finish college. And I just happened to drive it since I had my license.

My mom is younger than you though, Pat.

Who isn't?
jonferns
I'm not the original owner, but here's what I have for my car, not the best scan, but its somewhat legible.

Click to view attachment
Johny Blackstain
QUOTE(96740 @ Jun 3 2008, 01:44 AM) *

Any original owners out there? Do you still have the window sticker?

I'm curious as to what they sold for. pray.gif confused24.gif beerchug.gif

Roy.

Yes, yes & here's my Kardex:
iamchappy
My brother purchased it and i purchased it from him 6 months later.
I have all the stickers for your entertainment.
My red folder and the maintenance book are still perfect.
dcheek
I am the original owner of a 76 2.0. Took delivery in December 1975. Unfortunately I don't have and didn't think to ask for the original sticker. This was in pre-Porsche Club days and there are many things I would have done, or not done, like dealer installed undercoating. At least I had the sense not to get "factory" air conditioning, after I saw the butcher job necessary to install the condenser in the trunk.

I do have the original invoice from the dealership and the total cost including tax was $9100.00. At 24 years of age and just out of college, this was major league coin for me. I saved up $6000.00 and took a loan out for the other $3100.00. At the time I was looking for a new sportscar and narrowed it down to 3 choices; Corvette, Porsche 914 or Lancia Beta Scorpion (remember those). I actually had a 4th choice which was the newly introduced 924, but being an Air Cooled guy (or kid) I just didn't float my boat. I ruled out the Lancia and figured, in the long run I would run into parts availability problems, not to mention a sparton dealer network. That left the Corvette and the 914. I went to a Chevy dealer to test drive and, as they say in Mexico; No way, Jose. I trotted off to the Porsche dealer and they literally threw me the keys and let me take it for a spin! As my friend in the car business says, "Feel of the wheel is half the deal". Returning from the test drive I plunked down my deposit and purchased this Malaga Red/ Black interior 914 2.0, loaded with every factory option except the aforementioned A/C. It was supposed to have a Tan interior but that's another story.

Dave

orthobiz
QUOTE(dcheek @ Jun 24 2008, 05:39 PM) *

I am the original owner of a 76 2.0. Took delivery in December 1975. Unfortunately I don't have and didn't think to ask for the original sticker. This was in pre-Porsche Club days and there are many things I would have done, or not done, like dealer installed undercoating. At least I had the sense not to get "factory" air conditioning, after I saw the butcher job necessary to install the condenser in the trunk.
Dave

C'mon Dave, tell some more stories! Good to see you post. I called you about a year and a half ago to ask if you were willing to sell your beauty (of course you weren't). Seeing your car and Paterek's America at club events NNJR in the 80's are among the high points of my Porsche experience!

Paul
dcheek
Paul,

Thanks for the kind words.

Dave
jk76.914
OK guys. Get ready for sticker shock. I'm not the original owner, but this IS our 25th summer together.

Here's the sticker- read it and weep!

Click to view attachment
moneysmarts
Just posting this pic in order to link the VIN update page.
Steve
moneysmarts
Steve
moneysmarts
Steve
moneysmarts
Click to view attachmentheadbang.gif
anderssj
Click to view attachmentHi Roy,

I don't have the window sticker, but I do have a copy of the invoice . . . .

$4474, for a 72 with appearance group, tinted glass, and an $18 center cushion (hard to believe that price).

When I bought the car I thought I'd be doing well to have it 5 years--if somebody had told me that I'd still be driving it 36 years later I wouldn't have belived them (but then, I was only 21 biggrin.gif )

Pat Garvey
Don't have my window sticker, but do have the original bill of sale if anyone is interested.
Pat
Sarastro
I purchased my new 914 in the fall of 1973. Here is the sticker:

Click to view attachment
HOF porsche914
Very cool looking at the old stickers, any way to get a reprint from the factory, VIN 4762900096 ??
Tom_T
QUOTE(HOF porsche914 @ Dec 12 2008, 10:13 PM) *

Very cool looking at the old stickers, any way to get a reprint from the factory, VIN 4762900096 ??

Weren't the window stickers printed up in the US under some DOT or other Federal Law? unsure.gif If so, then the factory would never have had anything to copy.

I just asked Porsche Cars of No. America last week while they're doing my COA, and they said: "No, that's why we offer a $10 discount on the COA if you send in a copy of yours...." So unless a prior owner submitted their window sticker for a particular car, then they might be able to send you a copy if you asked real nice!?

A word of warning about Porsche's records - they're not always that correct, by their own admission! Earlier this week they tried to tell me that their records show that my 73 914-2L VIN-4732901954 was allegedly first sold in Connecticut in Sept. 73, while my Calif. DMV registration card shows the first sold/registered date a year earlier on 11/9/72, and it was a 9/72 build date! I suggested that someone probably mis-keyed a 74 MY perhaps ending in ...01954 as a 473 in error, and supplied a copy of my CA DMV card from 12/26/75 which also shows the 11/9/72 first sold date. Hopefully they'll correct their data files!?

You might try your state of original sale's DMV/BMV to see if they'll research their microfilm records for prior owners, then try to run them down to see if they saved it in an old file box somewhere...ya never know. blink.gif I just found out that CA will do it for $20 per year researched (see DMV website under "information request"), so I'm hoping they'll turn up something. And looking thru your own old records might turn up some leads. I have to dig out my old 1975/76 records when I bought my 73 2L used in 12/26/75 to see if I have anything saved from the seller, whom I think wast the original owner - but then at 56.5, I've got "half-zymers"!!!

It cracks me up the way these marketing geniuses listed a bunch of "N.C." standard equipment as psuedo-options on these stickers! ...I mean really - fuel injection, gas tank with cap, full set of 3 control pedals.........!!!! lol-2.gif

And then apparently no 2 of them were consistent on what was or wasn't listed for any particular year/model, from what I've seen here & on the PCA-914-SIG-List stickers! I think that they just wanted to make it harder for "us in their future" to figure out how these car really came equipped! dry.gif

Joe Bob
The 76 2.0 price of $8K plus shows how VW by cranking the price on the Karmann bodies killed the 914/6 and ultimately the model....I mean 'vette'sa with a V8 were in that price range.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.