Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CD Ignition Systems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kargeek
I am thinking of adding a CD ignition to the 914...anyone have experience with the Mallory, Permatune, Crane or others? Dave H
Gary
I'm running an MSD 6AL. Works great.
Kargeek
Gary, any issues with operating your factory tach? Some systems require an adapter for the tach signal.
Gary
The MSD has a tach-out with a module of some sort. I'm not currently using it. The AL also has plug-in modules for RPM cutout. I've got a 6k in there now.
KenH
Just put the CRANE XR3000 ingition (complete kit with optical trigger) and LX91 coil on and it made a world of difference.

XR3000 about $120 (do WEB search) LX91 about $50. No TACH problems as this is not a multi spark system as is the MSD.

Ken
gklinger
I used the Crane HI-6 with their LX91 coil for about 3 years. Really liked it, in particular really smoothed the idle and overall made for a nice running motor. I did need to use their tach adapter to get the tach to work. Currently it’s off the car, but I plan to re-use it when I install the Mallory distributor and MegaSquirt.
HarveyH
I've got a 2056 with cam and Webers. An electronic point module and the Crane HI-6/PS-91 each made a significant diference to the running of the car. When I drew this up I was still using the 009 distributor that the PO installed. Since replaced with the original 2.0 distributor, but haven't updated the drawing.
Kargeek
HarveyH, You bring up an interesting question... are you running the 2.0 dist with your carbs utilizing it's vacuum advance? DH
HarveyH
Kargeek asked:
HarveyH, You bring up an interesting question... are you running the 2.0 dist with your carbs utilizing it's vacuum advance?

I am. My webers have a tubular port just below the throttle plate area. Had to take out a small threaded plug smash.gif to access the port, but it's there. Hooked up a hose from there to the distributor canister advance side and it works like a champ. Seems to give smoother acceleration comming off-idle.

Harvey
Rouser
If you're using the ports next to the mixture screws, those aren't the correct vacuum ports.

Those provide constant vacuum, not variable, and are used with a manometer for syncing the throats/carbs. Distributor vacuum advance occurs above the throttle plates, not below. Just for clarification ...
Kargeek
The vacuum advance issue is interesting as I was reading on the Air cooled net website about their custom curved dist with vaccuum advance. The 050 and 009 dist's really don't have the proper advance curve- the 050 is close but at low-mid range rpm, timing is retarded and a vacuum advance is supposed to help. Now, are you running vacuum off both carbs? This is what is recommended. My delorttos (sic) only have one carb with the off idle vacuum port and i'm thinking that the vacuum signal would be unbalanced and weak.
Dave Hall
Gary
A port on the second carb isn't hard - there's a boss there for it. I drilled it out carefully and bought a brass tube to fit. As I recall, I used a very small bit first for the vacuum port and a bigger bit for the tube. Comes out right above the plate, just like on the other side. Rather than swage it in, I JB'd it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.