Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weber carb comparison
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Lavanaut
I'm wondering what the differences are, and in general (flame suit on) which is "better"? More specifically, what would be the benefits/drawbacks in changing from IDTP-->IDAs? For what it's worth, this isn't something I'm considering doing, it's something that's already been done on a factory /6 I'm looking at. I have the opportunity to purchase the IDTPs in addition to or as a replacement for the IDAs, but have been told the engine is running very, very well with the IDAs. I like the originality idea of sticking with the stock carbs, but don't want to sacrifice performance or the convenience of a more modern, more fully developed product *if* that's what the IDAs constititute.

Basically I don't know shit about carbs. Yet. smile.gif Any and all feedback (opinions even!) would be appreciated.

Thanks all

chowtime.gif

edit: Replaced "40s" verbiage with "IDFs" in an attempt at clarity
re-edit: Replaced "IDF" verbiage with "IDA", since that's what they actually are
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 3 2008, 09:49 AM) *

Any and all feedback (opinions even!) would be appreciated.

Carbs suck! stirthepot.gif
Lavanaut
av-943.gif
sixnotfour
if its a six, its either IDTP or IDA or IDS

IDTP's have a step on the mixture screw.
Lavanaut
Yes, they're IDTPs. I wasn't positive if it was IDTP or just TP. Thanks for clarifying.
SLITS
Well, Foist .... I do not know nor never have heard of a triple throat IDF.

911 engines (including 914/6) were equipped with Weber 40 IDA 3Cs, 40 IDAP 3Cs, 40 IDS 3Cs and 40 IDT 3Cs. This is not to mention the Solexs and Zeniths.

And I don't know the differences between IDA / IDAP / IDS / IDT.

From the information I have at hand, they are all the same.

AND .... carbatooters for a street engine really SUCK; I am a dyed in the wool FI man. If I want to hear the engine suckin' air, I take the airbox cover/filter off. biggrin.gif

Damnit Jeff
Lavanaut
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 3 2008, 01:29 PM) *

That's good to know, thanks Ron. I'll check back with the seller.

AND .... carbatooters for a street engine really SUCK; I am a dyed in the wool FI man. If I want to hear the engine suckin' air, I take the airbox cover/filter off. biggrin.gif
I'm not necessarily pro-carb or anything here fellas, it's just that WOW, finding a stock injected factory Six is TOUGH! shades.gif
sixnotfour
slits do you want the rod ?
SLITS
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 3 2008, 01:37 PM) *

slits do you want the rod ?

A 5 cylinder 3.0 may leak a tad bit of oil. Just got your message and I will get back to you in short order.
SLITS
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 3 2008, 01:35 PM) *

That's good to know, thanks Ron. I'll check back with the seller.

I'm not necessarily pro-carb or anything here fellas, it's just that WOW, finding a stock injected factory Six is TOUGH! shades.gif

No such thing ... but ... a conversion does. You take the carbatooter 12-17 mpg; I'll take the 22 - 27 mpg with FI. flag.gif
Lavanaut

911 engines (including 914/6) were equipped with Weber 40 IDA 3Cs, 40 IDAP 3Cs, 40 IDS 3Cs and 40 IDT 3Cs. This is not to mention the Solexs and Zeniths.

Ron, you were correct, the carbs on the car I'm looking at are 40 IDA 3Cs. I've changed the topic title to reflect that fact.

Now...anyone out there able to compare the two for me at all...?

Thanks

ps: Hey sixnotfour, if you're gonna give Slits the rod please do so in private... wink.gif
6freak
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 3 2008, 02:42 PM) *

Ron, you were correct, the carbs on the car I'm looking at are 40 IDA 3Cs. I've changed the topic title to reflect that fact.

Now...anyone out there able to compare the two for me at all...?

Thanks

ps: Hey sixnotfour, if you're gonna give Slits the rod please do so in private... wink.gif

WEBERS RULE IF TUNED PROPER ....we need a screw driver happy face
sixnotfour
not giving , he's buyin.

IDA's wider range of idle mixture adjustment. (no step, full taper)

since your looking for #'s matching you might as well have the correct carbs on hand.
Lavanaut
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 3 2008, 02:50 PM) *

IDA's wider range of idle mixture adjustment. (no step, full taper)

Cool thanks. Can you translate that for me a little bit? Meaning, given those facts, how does that affect tune-ability, performance, ease of use, etc, when comparing the two?
sixnotfour
Depends on the motor build , stock no difference.
ask why he changed em ?
brant
factory 6's were all carbed
the difference would be the number on the outside of the carb are just not right for a number matching car

I wouldn't think there would be any difference in performance
and even the numbers not matching should really produce no difference either
I suppose in a full pro concours maybe....

but for practical purposes... no difference

I don't know the minute differences between the T and A

I do know the IDS carbs had an auxillary enrichment circuit for high rpm
they only made that carb for 2 years (and none on 914's obviously)
even that is a minute difference, but one could argue it is a performance difference at least.

from a realistic view:
my guess is that the original T carbs were getting worn out, and since they cost 1k to have rebuilt propperly, it was cheaper for the owner at that point to put on a set of IDA's than to rebuild them.. its the throttle shafts that wear and no rebuild/self kit addresses that issue. your choices are between 800-1400 to have it professionally addressed.

brant
Lavanaut
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 3 2008, 03:00 PM) *

Depends on the motor build , stock no difference.
ask why he changed em ?

Hmm ok. As for the motor, from my understanding it was very recently rebuilt to stock specs but "L" pistons were used. The seller is not the person responsible for the swap-out, but when I asked him, he commented that in general the IDTPs were somewhat of a step down from the IDAs. For what it's worth the seller is a 911 guy, so that may be no more than his opinion.

Actually, here's pretty much what I know about the motor at this point, "The original motor was rebuilt by Gary Dielacher of GD Racing in San Bruno, CA and has less than 5,000 on it. The PO told me that they used early '67/'68 911 2.0L pistons which have a higher compression than the stock T pistons"

I guess it need not be a secret, this is the car I'm looking at... smile.gif
Lavanaut
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 3 2008, 03:10 PM) *

factory 6's were all carbed

I actually do know this, my earlier comment was intended as sly humor..but obviously didn't work too well. Should know better.

The rest of your info is good to know, thanks. What would a good set of IDTP carbs go for do you think? I'd assume they'd need to be rebuilt.
Lavanaut
Actually Brant, to comment further ~ that's exactly what I wanted to know. "no performance difference". I'm just trying to decide if I should opt to have the IDTPs rebuilt and put those on the car, or leave the IDAs. I'm aware of the desirability of these cars when fully stock, but that's another topic.

Thanks again
Lavanaut
I ended up passing on the car. Thanks though for the feedback all. Oh yes, and for the opinions as well. smile.gif
SLITS
'68 T engine .. 110 HP / 157 ft/lb .. 8.6:1 ... 32/32 ports ... 42/38 valves ... 40 IDT

'68 L engine .. 130 HP / 175 ft/lb .. 9.0:1 ... 32/32 ports ... 39/35 valves ...40 IDA & 40 IDAP

6freak
QUOTE(Lavanaut @ Jun 4 2008, 11:05 AM) *

I ended up passing on the car. Thanks though for the feedback all. Oh yes, and for the opinions as well. smile.gif

golf course .....Florida car the man just payed 12k ...wanna bet on it..wheels been changed out and some one said cars arent investments
Lavanaut
QUOTE(6freak @ Jun 4 2008, 12:52 PM) *

golf course .....Florida car the man just payed 12k ...wanna bet on it..wheels been changed out and some one said cars arent investments

Yes it's the same car, no secret there.
bfrymire

Damnit Jeff

Forgive me for somewhat hijacking the thread....

If you prefer FI, which one is the best to use??? I have a carb'd 2.7 and I would love to move to FI. Just which one and where to get it.

Public or PM is fine, to avoid further hijacking...

smile.gif

-- brett
J P Stein
Jeff Gamroth at Rothsport. The best cost money.....bout the same as 2 new PMO carb set-ups.
SLITS
QUOTE(bfrymire @ Jun 4 2008, 10:55 PM) *

Damnit Jeff

Forgive me for somewhat hijacking the thread....

If you prefer FI, which one is the best to use??? I have a carb'd 2.7 and I would love to move to FI. Just which one and where to get it.

Public or PM is fine, to avoid further hijacking...

smile.gif

-- brett

Just use the stock CIS system. Once everything is right .. it's right. Turn key and go AND it is very reliable. Maybe you lose 15 hp from carbs, but I can still get a $400 ticket in short order.

And if you are in love with the sound of carbs suckin' air, take the airbox cover off ... you'll hear plenty of sucking. laugh.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 5 2008, 07:17 AM) *

Just use the stock CIS system. Once everything is right .. it's right. Turn key and go AND it is very reliable. Maybe you lose 15 hp from carbs, but I can still get a $400 ticket in short order.

And if you are in love with the sound of carbs suckin' air, take the airbox cover off ... you'll hear plenty of sucking. laugh.gif

Yeah, find yourself a archaic 30 year old CIS system & stick that on your car.....you'll love it. barf.gif
SLITS
Well JP, I have brought 4 of them back to life in the last 2 months with nothing but compressed air and carb cleaner.

If you consider CIS archaic, what the hell do you consider carburetors?
brant
popcorn smiley....
Root_Werks
CIS is a very simple metering system for engines and have very few wearing parts about them.
J P Stein
For anyone interested in high performance engines.....
The factory CIS on a 3.0L with standard exhaust makes 180 hp in USA form.
Gamroth's EFI makes 260 hp with all stock internals & a better exhaust.
A hi-po 2.8L Ax engine that I know of made 10 more hp (285 hp) & 30 ft/lbs more torque when using the same EFI over using carbs. All at the flywheel.

My home built 2.7L AX motor makes 198 hp & 190 ft/lbs *at the wheels* using carbs.

Stuff CIS.
SLITS
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 5 2008, 05:33 PM) *

For anyone interested in high performance engines.....
The factory CIS on a 3.0L with standard exhaust makes 180 hp in USA form.
Gamroth's EFI makes 260 hp with all stock internals & a better exhaust.
A hi-po 2.8L Ax engine that I know of made 10 more hp (285 hp) & 30 ft/lbs more torque when using the same EFI over using carbs. All at the flywheel.

My home built 2.7L AX motor makes 198 hp & 190 ft/lbs *at the wheels* using carbs.

Stuff CIS.

And a Subie WRXSti Turbo made 394 at the wheels.

Your point?
J P Stein
I guess the point is you can't stay on it and are not worth talking to.
Rusty
Well, I see that someone pumped your regular dose of sunshine up your beehind, JP. Same as ever, huh? laugh.gif

I seem to remember that Gint had a beautiful set of IDA3Cs. I did a quick search, but can't find the pictures or where he had them done.
SLITS
Damn, insulted by a parking lot racer. I don't think I'll ever get over it.
LvSteveH
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 5 2008, 11:14 PM) *

Damn, insulted by a parking lot racer. I don't think I'll ever get over it.

It's almost as bad as being out wrestled by a realtor sad.gif
Root_Werks
I am running old Zeniths on my 2.5 right now and they seem to produce a lot of power for the engine. With gas going to hit $5 soon and $6-7 next summer, it's tempting to convert over to FI if nothing else to go from 20mpg to hopefully something more like 25-28mpg.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jun 6 2008, 07:37 AM) *

I am running old Zeniths on my 2.5 right now and they seem to produce a lot of power for the engine. With gas going to hit $5 soon and $6-7 next summer, it's tempting to convert over to FI if nothing else to go from 20mpg to hopefully something more like 25-28mpg.

Yes, it's coming. The cars-as-toys culture is headed for oblivion....at least the driving part. This includes most all "recreational vehicles"...land, sea, or air.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.