Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WOT: I need some help with a pre-interview questionaire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914rrr
I'm filling out a pre-interview questionaire, and I'd like some input from any hiring managers / HR personnel here. It's an outside technical/industrial sales job that involves 50-80% travel. I'm not sure at this point , but I think it's a base + bonus/commission. Some of the questions are:

When not traveling do you feel that office time is important?

How much do you want to travel with the prospective job?

What type of compensation do you think is fair for the extra time required when traveling to and from job locations?

Salary expectations?

I'm trying to read between the lines on these. It sounds like turnover issues and /or somebody before me burned them on something in the questions.

On the salary question, I've already stalled them on a general employment app with "negotiable". How long can I put them off on this? I'd rather not state a figure until I know more about the overall compensation, travel reimbursement policies, PTO, insurance costs, etc.

Thanks!
Rob
Krieger
How about "open to discussion"
Trevorg7
My thoughts.

There are circumstances that will require my presence in the office but I do not feel proximity has a bearing on productivity therefore office time for the sake of being accounted for is not important.

I think only you can answer this one.

What type of compensation do you think is fair for the extra time required when traveling to and from job locations?

I would assume you are working as a professional therefore travel costs are reimbursed and travel time is expected.

Salary expectations?

List them if necessary but steer the conversation toward levels of responsibilities. When talking about levels of responsibilities it is easier to quantify to a price tag during the offer stage.

Hope this helps.

T

biosurfer1
I have never answered the question of "Salary Expectations", its always been, like Krieger said "Open..." Just because I felt like it was automatically putting a limit on what they would offer. If they offer something well low, then you tell them no thanks and you're on your way... If you put a hard number, I would always be thinking "would they have paid more??"

My take is if they want you, let them tell you how much you are worth to them.
Just please don't ask the... "Where do you see yourself in ten years?" question. ar15.gif
914rrr
Thanks for all the great answers!

My interpretation of the following question:

pertains to something like 'comp' time, example; "...if I have to take a red eye home, am I expected to be at work at 8 AM the next morning, or is it OK to come in at noon?"

I may just call them up and ask for clarification / examples to ensure I'm on the same page.
914rrr
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Jun 3 2008, 07:08 PM) *

I have never answered the question of "Salary Expectations", its always been, like Krieger said "Open..." Just because I felt like it was automatically putting a limit on what they would offer. If they offer something well low, then you tell them no thanks and you're on your way... If you put a hard number, I would always be thinking "would they have paid more??"

My take is if they want you, let them tell you how much you are worth to them.

I couldn't agree more. Being a sales position, I'm hoping that they appreciate my negotiation skills. However, my last exercise in 'negotiating' with an employer (over an onerous non-compete agreement) ended badly.
r_towle

Office time is important in any of the team environments that I have worked in.
Case example is I worked at blah blah and my team and I spent many hours working out the technical details of project X which was a great success.
(sell yourself with a specific story here)

I expect a moderate to high level of travel due to the nature of the role. I have always been efficient and cost conscious with my travel plans to keep the overall cost of sale as low as possible. Typically I try to group my client visits so I can maintain multiple relationships in one trip.
(sell yourself, tell a story of how you normally travel)

In a sales role, I would be an exempt employee working with a fixed portion of my salary, and a variable portion based upon results. My experience of bringing in $XXX.XXX dollars has always require a longer work week than most.

I NEVER state a number unless I KNOW the number. If your in sales, its your job to figure out what the magic number is...ask. ask again...ask in a different way. ask again...three times is a charm..

Salary expectations?

I expect a base salary commesurate with my experience, and an upcapped variable portion with increasing incentives. Other incentives like bonus and stock options have been part of my overall compensation package in the past, along with standard travel and living expenses, and mobile equipment expenses to enable me to work as efficient as possible towards our goals.

I will repeat this so IT CLEAR
NEVER state a number unless you KNOW the number. If your in sales, its your job to figure out what the magic number is...ask. ask again...ask in a different way. ask again...three times is a charm..

Rich

914rrr
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 3 2008, 10:03 PM) *

Office time is important in any of the team environments that I have worked in.
Case example is I worked at blah blah and my team and I spent many hours working out the technical details of project X which was a great success.
(sell yourself with a specific story here)

I expect a moderate to high level of travel due to the nature of the role. I have always been efficient and cost conscious with my travel plans to keep the overall cost of sale as low as possible. Typically I try to group my client visits so I can maintain multiple relationships in one trip.
(sell yourself, tell a story of how you normally travel)

In a sales role, I would be an exempt employee working with a fixed portion of my salary, and a variable portion based upon results. My experience of bringing in $XXX.XXX dollars has always require a longer work week than most.

I NEVER state a number unless I KNOW the number. If your in sales, its your job to figure out what the magic number is...ask. ask again...ask in a different way. ask again...three times is a charm..

Salary expectations?

I expect a base salary commesurate with my experience, and an upcapped variable portion with increasing incentives. Other incentives like bonus and stock options have been part of my overall compensation package in the past, along with standard travel and living expenses, and mobile equipment expenses to enable me to work as efficient as possible towards our goals.

I will repeat this so IT CLEAR
NEVER state a number unless you KNOW the number. If your in sales, its your job to figure out what the magic number is...ask. ask again...ask in a different way. ask again...three times is a charm..

Rich

pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif
ericread
Just remember; If you want this job, lie like a sonofabitch! shades.gif
carr914
Good Luck Rob

T.C.
914rrr
Thanks T.C., and many thanks to everyone who responded. aktion035.gif
r_towle
good luck and take every opportunity to sell yourself.

People love to hear specific examples when responding to questions.
Tell stories..that is sales...
Be honest, a good HR person can smell a lie.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.