Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve springs not strong enough?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
purple
hey Guys.. I was reading a post on another forum trying to figure out my backfiring out the carb problem and I ran across this:

What you do when you put a hydraulic cam in a 914 is use something that
>was *NEVER* engineered by the factory to do this job. And further, I can
>just about certify that it was *NOT* engineered by anyone in the aftermarket.
>They just said, roughly, "oh cool -- we can take this part from here, and
>this part from there, and hey, it's a 914 hydraulic cam kit!"
>
>So how do you make sure that the followers track the cam? Well, you design
>them so that they just do. *OR* you put in *BIG* springs to make damn sure
>that they do (which may wear the bottom surfaces off the followers or just
>eat the surface of the lobes, which ever is softer). How do you keep the
>lifters from either pumping up solid, or going soft (depending on the
>design flaw you wish to exploit here)?? Well, if this is engineered for the
>application, you know what sort of specific heat you have to face, the
>oil recommended, the filtration used, etc and you cope with it. *OR*
>you have a part that is for a different application and can't as a result
>say for sure that won't happen.

I think I may have an idea!

The previous owner had the valves set REALLY loose for a hydro cam. the engine ran great (overheated like a bastard, but thats because he didnt put but one piece of tin on it) but it never backfired out the carb. The valves actually were set with LASH! the thing was clackety as hell for a hydro car, but it still never backfired or gave trouble. that is, until i adjusted the valves to where they were supposed to be, 2 turns past first contact, to put the piston inside the lifter at mid-stroke.

This is when the problems started, now the engine will run like it has tight valves. it only just occured to me that that's how it's running! I'm afraid that i might have burned all 8 seats! because the valve springs were for a 1.8L bus (since they are 1.8L bus heads) is it possible that i have shitty weak valve springs? is that what's causing the backfires and all around un-tunability of this?

Jake Raby
Nope.. Its the super late and super lazy actuation of the valves that the Hydro cam is creating thats causing these issues more than likely... Many engines have been ruined with these Hydro "upgrades".
SGB
Back off 1/2 turn on each intake valve.

edit: bacon? bacon tires? I'm asking...
purple
I have a buddy that has done hydro lifters on other cars (ford v8's or something) and he said to back off on the adjusters too that it sounds like the valves are too tight.

Jake, i'm low on liquid assets right now and about to get married...is there a way I could undo this hydro cam nastiness for less than the price of a new engine?

My tires are so slippery that it's like I stapled bacon onto them and am driving on a hot skillet. the previous owner bought tires that have no brand name on them wink.gif
brer
Hydro spings are slightly stiffer than stock type 4 AFAIK

stock= 180lbs

hydro= 210lbs

Hydro springs have also been an option for a bit more pinch on performance heads, for those who need it.

.... if it was mine I would attempt to get it running correctly and then just drive it until I could buy what I want.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.