Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 009 Distributor install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
Took it out to replace the oil seal. Stupidly did not mark where anything was and cranked the engine over. How do I get everything all lined up again? Which direction does the top of the distrib point to since you can turn it all directions once long 10mm bolt is loose. Haynes Book says to turn engine over by hand. How do you do that??? There is a notch you line up under the round cross top shaped inspection cap at the front of the engine. Removing this, all I see is the top of the fan blades.
These are most likely very simple elementary, simple questions but I dont know where to start. If there is a reference article somewhere, please let me know.Any and all help is appreciated
r_towle
Flip the distributor over and look at the key that fits into the slot.
It is not centered on the shaft, its offset a little bit.

It can only fit one way.

Rich
craig downs
With #1 at TDC on the compression stroke put the distributor back in. The rotor should be pointing at the #1 plug wire on the cap if it does then use a timing light and retime the distributor and your done.

A couple of easy ways to find #1 compression stroke without removing the valve covers is:
Use a compression checker and bump the engine over until you see a reading then line up the timing marks on the fan.

If you don't have a compression checker then you can hold your finger over the plug
hole and have someone bump the engine over until you feel pressure then line up the timing marks on the fan. Make sure you have the coil wire pulled out of the
distributor.
craig downs
QUOTE(EJP914 @ Jun 3 2008, 06:55 PM) *

Haynes Book says to turn engine over by hand. How do you do that??? There is a notch you line up under the round cross top shaped inspection cap at the front of the engine. Removing this, all I see is the top of the fan blades.

If your car is off the jack stands you can bump the engine around by putting it in 5 gear and rocking forward or backwards.

After you remove the cap you look toward the rear of the inspection hole and you will see a V notch on the fan shroud just above the fan. This is where the marks on the fan line up to. On page 65 in the Haynes manual there is a pic that shows the notch.
klink
Also there is a notch on the distributor housing under the dust cap that's under the rotor. That is also supposed to point towards #1 plug wire same as the rotor.
EJP914
QUOTE(craig downs @ Jun 4 2008, 01:08 AM) *

QUOTE(EJP914 @ Jun 3 2008, 06:55 PM) *

Haynes Book says to turn engine over by hand. How do you do that??? There is a notch you line up under the round cross top shaped inspection cap at the front of the engine. Removing this, all I see is the top of the fan blades.

If your car is off the jack stands you can bump the engine around by putting it in 5 gear and rocking forward or backwards.

After you remove the cap you look toward the rear of the inspection hole and you will see a V notch on the fan shroud just above the fan. This is where the marks on the fan line up to. On page 65 in the Haynes manual there is a pic that shows the notch.

Craig: Car is up on stands. If I put it in 5th gear and turn the rear brake rotor should I not get the same results as If the car is on its tires on the ground? - the distrib rotor should turn? I tried this but the distrib rotor never moved. Your thoughts? Thx.
craig downs
That only works if your car is off the jack stands because of the differential. So unless
you put the tires back on and get it off the jack stands you'll have to use the starter to bump it around. If you can the putting it in 5 gear method is easier because as you rock it forward and backward and look down in the inspection hole for the timing marks at the same time.
RoadGlue
I swear I'm not trying to upset the applecart here, but you know, while you have the 009 out, why not replace it with something that has a real advance curve? The 009 was never intended for higher performance motors (and yes, that applies to stock t4 motors with carbs) and it has one of the most modest curves from Bosch's lineup. There are people here that know how to change the mechanical advance weight springs so that you get more advance, but it might just be easier to get a Mallory or another model. Just my 2 cents, and I was surprised that it wasn't brought up by another member sooner.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(EJP914 @ Jun 4 2008, 11:03 PM) *

Craig: Car is up on stands. If I put it in 5th gear and turn the rear brake rotor should I not get the same results as If the car is on its tires on the ground? - the distrib rotor should turn? I tried this but the distrib rotor never moved. Your thoughts? Thx.

With the car up in the air you need to prevent the opposite wheel from turning while you rotate the other wheel to turn the crankshaft. This can be done with a block of wood against a tire, or if the wheel is off, screw in two wheel bolts and position a long bar between them and the ground so the hub can't turn in the opposite direction from the one you are using to turn the crankshaft.
EJP914
Got the wheels on and did the car rocking thing in 5th gear. What kind of "mark" is on the fan that lines up with the housing notch? Is it a paint mark or a stamped line or arrow? After 34 years, fan is pretty dirty. Hard to see anything clearly.
Once these are lined up, which direction do you turn the top of the distributor? There is a cut out or notch in the distrib that the cap fits into. Does that notch have to line up with the notch in the distrib shaft?
Sorry to be a PITA over this. Thx for the replies and help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.