Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Certificates of Authenticity: How Accurate Are They?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
JackB
The C of A for my 914/6 says my car had vinyl seats (they have corudroy inserts) and a rear fog light (I can find no evidence of one ever having been mounted). So, in general, can the C of A be relied upon to describe the car as it was delivered?

Jack.
Gustl
does it show the option codes?

as I've seen in the past, sometimes the option codes seems to be correct, but the guys at Porsche just mis-interpreted then dry.gif

bye1.gif Gustl
Mr_Zambezi
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 3 2008, 10:00 PM) *

does it show the option codes?

as I've seen in the past, sometimes the option codes seems to be correct, but the guys at Porsche just mis-interpreted then dry.gif

bye1.gif Gustl

Ditto, that is what George H. (DR 914) relayed to me as well. As a result the certificates can be incorrect. You should know what your car came with from the production info on the site, as well as looking it up in a book, such as B. Johnson's restoration book. If your certificate doesn't jive with what these sources tell you, you may have a problemo! I hear Porsche knows of the problem and is working on it?

I just ordered mine and have my fingers crossed. Hope this helps somewhat.
watsonrx13
Jack, I've heard several stories of people ordering the COA and not getting the correct information. I also sent out for a COA for one of my cars and it came back with the correct description. So, I guess it's a crap-shoot. BTW, I've heard that if you aren't satisfied with the results, you should be able to contact them and work out the differences, without any extra cost.

-- Rob
1970 Neun vierzehn
Here....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=76235
Pat Garvey
My guess is that porsche still does not give a crap about the child fathered out of wedlock (914). My COA is nebulous at best, and repeated emails & calls to VM about it over 2 years have met with zero response.

Bet if i had a contemporary Porsche, it would different. A total waste of money! I don't think the people at PCNA care or know their ass from a hole in the ground. We're on our own!
Pat

ps: scuse me for the less-than-appropriate verabge - just tired of fighting it. Not really happy with the Porsche company these days - seem to have forgotten thier roots.
carr914
The CoA's would be more accurate if a grade school kid wrote one with a crayon. It doesn't matter if it is a 914 or 911. My 74 Carrera was so wrong, a blind midget could get it better. No offense to any blind midgets around here. Wait what would a blind midget do with a Porsche...there has to be a joke in here somewhere.

T.C.
Rusty
For our cars, the COA is a joke and a waste of money.

The lack of seriousness on this issue is a direct reflection of how PCNA & PCA feels about 914 and their owners... until they want our $$$.
auerbach
My COA came in saying that I had a 912 with tinted glass. I don't think so!
JackB
Thanks, everybody. I've owned many early 911s and 356s and never had a COA that didn't look right. I guess this isn't true for the 914/6. The tipoff for me was the rear fog light. I mean, how many US cars could have been delivered with these? I think I'll quit worrying about it and just enjoy the car.

Thanks again!

Jack
smg914
QUOTE(JackB @ Jun 16 2008, 08:16 PM) *

Thanks, everybody. I've owned many early 911s and 356s and never had a COA that didn't look right. I guess this isn't true for the 914/6. The tipoff for me was the rear fog light. I mean, how many US cars could have been delivered with these? I think I'll quit worrying about it and just enjoy the car.

Thanks again!

Jack

Last year I did some research on why there were so many errors on 914-6 COA's. I discovered that when they were looking up the options they were using the Option Code List for Porsche 944/951/968 cars. They didn't realize there was a difference. Many of the option code numbers for the 944/951/968 cars are the same as the option code numbers for the 914-6. The only problem is that the actual options are different. That is why you will see High Output Air Conditioning (option code 570) on many 914-6 COA's. Option code 570 for a 914-6 should be a Center Seat Cushion. Option Code 571 on a 944 is a Fog Tail Light. On the 914-6 571 is Front Fog Lights.
Gustl
QUOTE(smg914 @ Jun 17 2008, 06:21 AM) *

On the 914-6 571 is Front Fog Lights.

Steve, M571 is definitly the rear fog light on the 914 & 914-6
I have the price list (german) where it says so - currently I'm in a hurry so I can't post it now - maybe after I'm back home from the office

bye1.gif Gustl
smg914
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 16 2008, 09:33 PM) *

QUOTE(smg914 @ Jun 17 2008, 06:21 AM) *

On the 914-6 571 is Front Fog Lights.

Steve, M571 is definitly the rear fog light on the 914 & 914-6
I have the price list (german) where it says so - currently I'm in a hurry so I can't post it now - maybe after I'm back home from the office

bye1.gif Gustl

Hmmm maybe your right. When I saw 571 "Fog Lights" for the 914-6, I assumed that was referring to the ones in the front bumper.
Gustl
here we go

this is a partial scan of W41-010-0371-0108 (price list for optional equipment, 914 & 914-6, 911 T/E/S, valid from March 1, 1971)

571 ... Nebelschlußleuchte (nicht mit US-Ausstattung)
translation:
571 ... rear fog light (not with US equipment)

JackB
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 17 2008, 02:58 PM) *

here we go

this is a partial scan of W41-010-0371-0108 (price list for optional equipment, 914 & 914-6, 911 T/E/S, valid from March 1, 1971)

571 ... Nebelschlußleuchte (nicht mit US-Ausstattung)
translation:
571 ... rear fog light (not with US equipment)

So, the rear fog light was not even available on a US spec car. That makes my COA incorrect. PCNA owes me a refund!

Jack
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.