Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to Properly Repaint?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
Mr_Zambezi
Hello all;

Thought I would join the world as well? Pat Garvey has given me great advice on 914Club and I found him here as well. bye1.gif

Background:
Semi new 914 owner, but quickly becoming well seasoned! The fun began last May 07. I'm now neck deep in a 73 1.7L resto.; just cut the right engine shelf and battery tray out this weekend. The sound of the air chizzle made me cry!

Question:
Concerning paint, I'm trying to get the closest match to the original Zambezi Green. I was told that Porsche more than likely shot their cars with Spies Hecker in the 70's; is this true? Also, what should I shoot it with now, sikkens? Dupont (hecker)? PPG?

Just for the record:
I'm becoming a original/concours fanatic. I love the nestagic look. My car is 90% original, was well maintained, but also well driven. The dime dings, scratches, and rock chips forced me to repaint the car. Plus, the last owner shot the enitre engine compartment with a black coating.
scotty b
Most German cars used either Spies or Glasurit, and to date IMHO those are the ONLY paints to use for a top quality job. Yes Dupont, Sikends, PPG and many others will work well and all should be able to mix the paint pretty damn close look good but IF you want your car as close to original as possible use Spies or Glasurit single stage. And remember there is a major difference between an ORIGINAL paint job and an overdone paint job. These cars WERE NOT SLICK from the factory, and ironically the more the car is worth now days the werse the original paint would have look ed. Ever seen an ORIGINAL racecar paint job ?? barf.gif. This is something I try to tell all of our customers when they state they want a " restored " car. Most actually want an " over restored " car.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jun 4 2008, 08:36 PM) *

Most German cars used either Spies or Glasurit, and to date IMHO those are the ONLY paints to use for a top quality job. Yes Dupont, Sikends, PPG and many others will work well and all should be able to mix the paint pretty damn close look good but IF you want your car as close to original as possible use Spies or Glasurit single stage. And remember there is a major difference between an ORIGINAL paint job and an overdone paint job. These cars WERE NOT SLICK from the factory, and ironically the more the car is worth now days the werse the original paint would have look ed. Ever seen an ORIGINAL racecar paint job ?? barf.gif. This is something I try to tell all of our customers when they state they want a " restored " car. Most actually want an " over restored " car.

Soctty, yup!

When i had my 914 repainted in '79, I went to a shop that specialized in Benzes. Why, because one of my best buds was thier lawyer. He, the bud, was a 356 guy, but recogized that 914's were the next wave. The guy who owned/owns the shop said he wouldn't touch my 914 - "they're throw away cars" he told me. But my bud (Bud was his name ) convinced hoim to do the car. Hell, I'd already one the Parade Concours once.

So he did the car. Took out the mystery foam behind the sail panels, had his "lead guy" hand fabricated new panels (they weren't available then), leaded them in. Long story short, but when it came to paint he actually gave me options. I could have a slick paintjob, or have it redone to factory specs. I told him to match the finish on the engine lig, but not repaint it - wanted to hold him.

So, everything was redone, with Glasurit, except the engine lid. He matched the orange peel perfectly (he IS a craftsman). To this day, I defy anyone to find that that me 914 has been repainted, though the engine lid has not.
Pat

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.