Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
My alternator is making a nasty noise. Metal on metal. No red light on the dash. It's pretty loud and the hose-to-ear tests lead me to the alternator.

I read the Bird Board article (http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_alt_replace/914_alt_replace.htm) on replacing the alt, which seem pretty straight forward.

Anyone have any other tips or tricks for doing this?

All help is appreciated, since I need to do this on Thursday night.

Thanks,
Joe
SGB
Make sure yiu have disconected and labled everything before you climb under. Wear eye protection as you are compelled to look up into the crud you are knocking free in order to see what you are doing.
JeffBowlsby
Check over your alt harness carefully for broken casing, exposed wires especially where it passes through the tin. Let me know if you need a new one...wink.gif
McMark
From our Tech Articles
KaptKaos
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 4 2008, 12:03 AM) *

Thanks Mark. I did a search, but the search only covered the forums. I appreciate it! smilie_pokal.gif
purple
it's a real bitch to do with the engine in the car. Loosen the bottom bolt a bit first before doing the top one, it makes getting the belt off easier.

when trying to put the belt back on, pull the plugs so that you can rotate the engine easy to get the belt worked onto the pulley.

other than that, it's a serious pain in the ass.
shelby/914
OK, so I'm old and weak so putting it back in was the real PITA. Hard to hold in place while trying to reconnect wiring etc with one hand. Finally hung it off a piece of cord. Then you have both hands to work with. It may actually be easier to drop the motor.
ericread
I had some alternator problems last summer and had to work on my alternator about four or five times. Needless to say, I got pretty good at removing and replacing the alternator. Takes me under an hour. I just never had that much difficulty. I followed the step by step instructions in the Pelican article, and always did the work by myself.

No need to drop the engine for something so trivial...

If you run into insurmountable problems, let me know. I'm over in Irvine and can drop by if necessary.

Eric Read
KaptKaos
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 4 2008, 08:15 AM) *

If you run into insurmountable problems, let me know. I'm over in Irvine and can drop by if necessary.

Thanks Eric.

I have shop class tomorrow night for 3 hours. I should be able to get it done. Having a lift and a few extra hands will certainly help. I took one off of my old motor tonight, leaving the tin on, and it wasn't too bad, so we'll see.

Wish me fun!

ericread
Have Fun!!! smash.gif

If you run into any problems, PM me. I work at my office until about 2:00 pm PDT, and I am online on the board during my work day. I usually check in on the board again about 3:00. Let us know how it goes. driving.gif
SGB
Lift.
Extra hands.
No prob.
KaptKaos
Woo Hoo piratenanner.gif

Got under the car, and was about to drop the alt, when I notices that the nut was missing from the pivot bolt!!! ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

I put a new one on, tightened it all up and smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif

Boy, I got lucky!
ericread
SWEET!!!

So now that you have extra time on your hands, what are you tearing apart next? biggrin.gif
KaptKaos
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 5 2008, 07:48 PM) *

SWEET!!!

So now that you have extra time on your hands, what are you tearing apart next? biggrin.gif

Hopefully the starter on the black car (see progress thread link below).

I may have to cut the rear trunk to get it out. I will actually have time this weekend to work on it. smilie_pokal.gif
Allan
Glad it was something easy Joe...

Aaron and I changed the one on my car a couple of years ago and it wasn't all that bad. Took us about an hour.

I have a feeling I'll be changing the one on my six pretty soon.

Not looking forward to that at all... sad.gif
ericread
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 5 2008, 08:48 PM) *

SWEET!!!

Why would you need to cut the trunk to get to the starter?
KaptKaos
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 6 2008, 07:17 AM) *

SWEET!!!

The oil tank for the /6 is mounted in the rear trunk and extends down and blocks access to the starter.
ericread
QUOTE(KaptKaos @ Jun 6 2008, 10:22 AM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 6 2008, 07:17 AM) *

SWEET!!!

The oil tank for the /6 is mounted in the rear trunk and extends down and blocks access to the starter.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I understand. Probably easier than cutting windows in the oil tank. sawzall-smiley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.