Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gasoline
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mavrick272
Which kinda gas should I run in my 914?
should I use lead additives or just run premium in it?
or just run regular (crosses fingers)

This is really irrelevant, seeing as it's going to be a long time before she's on the road....but just thought I'd ask

thanks!
Spoke
I run premium w/o any additives.
shelby/914
My basically stock '76 2.0L with euro pistions runs just fine on 87, which is midgrade at this altitude. have also ran 85 with no knock. experiment and see
Gint
I've never put anything but regular gas in a 914. By regular I mean 85 at altitude and 87 at sea level.
SLITS
I've never run anything but lo-grade, cheap ass, water contaminated, towel-head juice.
Phoenix914
If if runs fine on regular, use it. There would be no benefit to using higher octane gas.
John
You guys burn gasoline in your cars?

Out here in Kansas City, we have so much gasoline that we just burn it right in the storage facility........

Actually, lightning struck the tank last night and lit the fire.

low grade (87) gas works fine in stock 914's. I use 91 in my 3.2 powered 914.
ericread
Awesome! Looks kinda like the Universal Studios fire on Sunday!!

The Univerals fire has been estimated a about $5Million in damages. With the cost of gas, that may be comparable to the Kansas City fire!
6freak
QUOTE(Mavrick272 @ Jun 4 2008, 09:34 AM) *

This is really irrelevant, seeing as it's going to be a long time before she's on the road....but just thought I'd ask

thanks!

you cant aford gas...walk.......... sheeplove.gif ben laden sheeplove.gif G.W Bush
purple
My issue with premium gas is that I have to advance my timing pretty far to get my teener to run right. I'm backing off that stuff and have moved to mid grade (which is mixed inside the pump from 1 part regular, 1 part premium, there are only 2 gas types, regular and premium, fyi)

I havent re-timed yet, but will this weekend...
Gint
You're wasting your money.
Spoke
Looks like I'm the only one so far using premium....Hmm....

The owners manual for my '71 1.7L says "98 Octane (Premium)"

and the owners manual for my '74 2.0L say 91 RON

What is the conversion from RON to R+M/2? Is 91 RON regular or premium?

Price diff these days between regular and premium is still about 20 cents/gal. For a 10 gallon fillup @ $4/gal, diff is $2 on $40.
BMartin914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 4 2008, 04:42 PM) *

Looks like I'm the only one so far using premium....Hmm....

The owners manual for my '71 1.7L says "98 Octane (Premium)"

and the owners manual for my '74 2.0L say 91 RON

What is the conversion from RON to R+M/2? Is 91 RON regular or premium?

Price diff these days between regular and premium is still about 20 cents/gal. For a 10 gallon fillup @ $4/gal, diff is $2 on $40.

Gint is right.

I seriously doubt you found ANYTHING in your manual for your 1971 Porsche that indicates to use 98 octane.

It is quite likely though that your manual and your car direct you to use 91 RON which is a standard not used in the United States...find the equivalent octane rating by taking (RON+MON)/2, you'll get the octane rating of the fuel.

You will find in most situations that (91 RON + X MON)/2 equates to regular unleaded gasoline.
Spoke
From the owners manual for my '71 1.7L:
John
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 4 2008, 11:10 AM) *

Awesome! Looks kinda like the Universal Studios fire on Sunday!!

The Univerals fire has been estimated a about $5Million in damages. With the cost of gas, that may be comparable to the Kansas City fire!

Our little fire was probably a little more than $5M.

Supposedly there was approximately 1.2M gallons burned.

I wonder what their "carbon footprint" was.....

Our local gas prices have not increased. (YET)

Burn the cheapest gas your car can use without knocking/pinging.

In Missouri, there is no law requiring stating if gas is 100% or an ethanol blend. Apparently, most all of it is a blend and there is no difference (in Missouri) in actual octane rating between midgrade gas and lowgrade gas. The news did an expose' on the whole thing a few months back. Only the sticker (and price) on the pump is different.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 4 2008, 06:46 PM) *

Looks like it says 98 octane to me confused24.gif

I run 110 mixed with premium.
eg914
I have a 1.7L in my car, and run premium. I tried running lower grade, and had pinging and run-on issues. Is the compression ratio in the 1.7L engine higher than the larger displacements?
IronHillRestorations
The higher the octane the slower the burn. The higher octane, the more additives the fuel has in it, which ends up on the top of your piston and on you cylinder head. The more carbon build up you get means it raises the compression and you get carbon hot spots on the piston or cylinder head which results in pre-ignition, so you run higher octane fuel and the endless cycle continues.

Always run the lowest octane you can without pre-ignition (pinging).
r_towle
QUOTE(SLITS @ Jun 4 2008, 01:41 PM) *

I've never run anything but lo-grade, cheap ass, water contaminated, towel-head juice.

agree.gif
These aircooled 4 cylinder cars can run on anything...that is by design.
With 20Mm beetles sold, loads of buses sold worldwide...the motor (with its low compression, and restricted heads/exhaust) can run on any fuel worldwide.

I shop for the cheapest gas, period.

I did, while autoxing, blend it with race fuel to net 105 octane...but the race fuel is now $8.00 per gallon and I dont rce my car anymore...

Rich
rhodyguy
with the carbs, i found the idle increased when i dropped down to mid-grade a few years back. in addition to the idle speed screws, the idle a/f mixture had to be reset as well.

k
purple
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 5 2008, 10:54 AM) *

with the carbs, i found the idle increased when i dropped down to mid-grade a few years back. in addition to the idle speed screws, the idle a/f mixture had to be reset as well.

k

this.

this is what I mean.

With carbs changing octane I swear throws my shit off.

I'm working it back down to regular. I only put 5 gals in on last fillup because my pickup is leaking. anyone got a source for the fiber washer that goes between the tank and the strainer? WE NEEDS THEM! MY PRECIOUSSSSS....

rhodyguy
i noted a change in how the car ran after switching to a different brand of fuel this past weekend on the way home from portland. shell vs chevron.
dbgriffith75

thanks!

It's just a matter of personal preference. If you want low grade, use it, and likewise for premium or mid-grade. The type of feul you want doesn't matter as long as the car is tuned to run for it; although I do agree with 9146986 on what higher octane gas can do.

But I'd like to know- why is it gonna be a while before you get it going? Are you rebuilding the motor or just doing some body work or what? If you're rebuilding or just making some modifications or whatever, I'd run cheap gas to start. There's no sense wasting the money on premium when all you're going to need to fine tune it after a rebuild anyway. Then once you have it going and running smooth, you can make the adjustments necessary to run the grade of feul you want.
Allan
I ran 87 with my t4 with no problems.

I run 91 with the 2.7.
p914
Chevon or Texaco (same stuff) regular.
PeeGreen 914
QUOTE(9146986 @ Jun 5 2008, 06:26 AM) *

The higher the octane the slower the burn. The higher octane, the more additives the fuel has in it, which ends up on the top of your piston and on you cylinder head.

Can you show evidence that supports this? confused24.gif I'm not too sure why a race car would want a slower burning fuel.

And why would the car companies state that running a higher octane helps clean an engine? All the hondas and toyotas I pulled apart you could tell that the ones that ran the required 87 octane had carbon build-up on the pistons. The ones that ran 91 were like new.
PeeGreen 914
Here is an interesting read....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
BMartin914
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 4 2008, 05:46 PM) *

Simple typo. Should read 98 RON as does the spec book...
Joe Ricard
My 2098cc engine with 10.3:1 motor needs a bit more than regular.
However my old hopped up 2.0L with U.S. pistons ran better on regular than it did on premium.

I suspect my sonn to be here 2316-210 will need the good stuff also.
PeeGreen 914
The article on Octane that I posted said the higher the octane the better performance as it is harder to ignite causing higher compression. I think anyone interested in running different octane in their teeners should read it. I learned a lot from it.

I didn't see where it said higher octane burns slower though. wink.gif
eg914
Someone please let me know if my logic is way off, but the 98 octane called for in Spoke's manual would be a RON rating? If this is the case, based on the wiki article, the US equivalent would be 4 to 5 points lower, or about 93. This still sounds like premium to me.

Or would the octane called for in the manual be based on the US method of measure, as it was sold in this country.

Or is octane measured differently in Europe and/or the US today than it was measured in the '70s?
dw914er
i run about 89 octane (anyhting midrange)

works fine for my T4
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.