Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to pull a 914 onto a tow truck rear first?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Ever use the factory tow hook to haul a 914 rear first onto a tow truck?

Are they ok to use like this?

Where else could a cable be attached from the rear of the car and not do damage?
Ferg
I would not use the tow hook. I've owned two cars with them pulled out...

Strap around the lower shock to trailing arm point.

Ferg beerchug.gif
URY914
Agree with Ferg. Never use the stock rear tow hook to pull your car. I don't why they ever had these things on the cars.

Wrap a strap around the shock at the trailing arm.
TravisNeff
Better be sure that trunk latch pin is holding well when towing backwards, ask me how I know.
jd74914
I have used it to hold a line for winching and have been fine. All times were onto a flatbed trailor (not a tow truck which is much higher), but hasn't broken yet. laugh.gif
URY914
...yet.
dw914er
i used it once to strap down the car on a flatbead trailer. Didn't work well. (learned by doing that that hook isn't very useful)
stateofidleness
i thought towing it backwards was a bad idea?
tops blowin off and windshields blown out etc... myth or fact?
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(stateofidleness @ Jun 4 2008, 07:05 PM) *

i thought towing it backwards was a bad idea?
tops blowin off and windshields blown out etc... myth or fact?

I have heard that too, the top, more than once

Ever use the factory tow hook to haul a 914 rear first onto a tow truck?

Oh sure no problem, just let me come by with my video camara...u-tube
sean_v8_914
it is not a myth!!! rear trunk, flying targas and windshields
LowGT

<---- Bought a 914 with missing targa top because previous owner towed it backwards. smile.gif
Krieger
I cut mine off track car and welded some on trailing arms sawzall-smiley.gif
jimtab
Jeff, is this for the "multi-colored car"? Might be ok if you had some Pushing on the other enD.
Wilhelm
I made the mistake of using the rear tow hook to pull a car into the upper level of a ocean cargo container that I had double decked for storage of 914s. I was using a tractor to pull back on a cable attached to a cable that ran through a block in the back of the container. The rear toe hook broke off when the car was at the top of the ramp. The car rolled down the ramp into the tractor and only destroyed both fenders, the hood and the front of the trunk. I sure felt like a damn dummy. smoke.gif My current project will have loops welded onto the trailing arms not only for towing, but also for tying down.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.