Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rotisserie for a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Luke M
Does anyone have any info and pics on how to build a rotisserie?
I found some info on the web but there's alot of different plans.
Found different ways to mount it on the 914 but looks like most use the bumper mount holes. ( some use the susp/trans mounts )
Want to build something simple yet strong to hold the 914.
carr914
I think Auto Atlanta has them on their website. Good Luck. I'm originally from Watkins Glen, my niece lives in Rochester somewhere and the bestman from my wedding lives in Rush. biggrin.gif

T.C.
VaccaRabite
Pics of the one I built.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

I built it by buying 2 Harbor Freight 700 pound engine stands, and welding it to stock from a local steel mill.

Buy and cut up the engine stands. Pound for pound, they were cheaper then buying the stock steel. Way cheaper. And they provided lots of parts that I would have otherwise had to make.

Casters - I got the strongest ones I could from Home Depot.

The ornage areas are the engine stand, the grey areas are the steel I added in.

I ended up making about $100 when I sold it. If I had waited a week longer, I could have made $200. Damn.

I mounted it by bolting it directly to the 75-76 bumper mounts. No Problem!

It was a neat project.

Zach
roadster fan
This is one of the most complete writeups to date including materials list, photos, and drawings Richard Castro's Rotisserie

Hope this helps,

Jim
HeloMech
How do you get it from pic 1 to pic 2? ie, how do you stand the stand up? Or was that just a building stage to measure clearance?
Richard Casto
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Jun 4 2008, 06:21 PM) *

This is one of the most complete writeups to date including materials list, photos, and drawings Richard Castro's Rotisserie

Hope this helps,

Jim

Yep, that is mine. I still need to update the wiki article with a photo of the car mounted on it.

Zach's design looks nice as well.
dlee6204
Wood anyone? We didn't have enough money to build it out of steel so we made it out of wood. It's surprisingly sturdy and its held up very well over the past 5 or 6 years.
Click to view attachment
dlee6204
Click to view attachment
carr914
Got Wood?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(HeloMech @ Jun 4 2008, 06:22 PM) *

How do you get it from pic 1 to pic 2? ie, how do you stand the stand up? Or was that just a building stage to measure clearance?

Friends.

The more, the better.

Zach
RoadGlue
Haven't you seen Richard Casto's awesome article on how to build a 914 rotisserie:
http://www.roadglue.com/wiki/index.php/How...r_a_Porsche_914

Eric_Shea
Haven't you seen Richard Casto's awesome article on how to build a 914 rotisserie:

Yup... same link is in post #4 biggrin.gif
RoadGlue
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jun 4 2008, 09:40 PM) *

Yup... same link is in post #4 biggrin.gif

Didn't I see post #4???? (ooops!)
ericread
Anybody got a picture of the wooden "Rocking Chair Rotisserie" that was posted a while back? That was pretty cool! aktion035.gif
roadster fan
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 5 2008, 12:02 AM) *

Anybody got a picture of the wooden "Rocking Chair Rotisserie" that was posted a while back? That was pretty cool! aktion035.gif

You mean this one from FourBlades?

Click to view attachment

Here is a link to more pics in his progress thread FourBlades Rotisserie(?). Pics start at about post #57.

Jim
URY914
I remember seeing pics of a steel "rolling" type that bolted to the wheel hubs. Anyone remember that?
ericread
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Jun 5 2008, 01:29 AM) *

QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 5 2008, 12:02 AM) *

You mean this one from FourBlades?

Click to view attachment

Here is a link to more pics in his progress thread FourBlades Rotisserie(?). Pics start at about post #57.

Jim

That's the one. Probably the most innovative non-welding approach I've ever seen. And damn funny too! av-943.gif
URY914
I like how he has it in the back yard next to the patio and pool.
ericread
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 5 2008, 07:45 AM) *

I like how he has it in the back yard next to the oatio and pool.

agree.gif

If things don't work out, he can make it into a giant pool toy!
Luke M
I picked up all the metal to do the R. Casto's design with some minor tweaks.
I will post picks when done.
Thanks to everyone that replied.
I have a 75 914 so does anyone have measurements for the rear early style bumper mounts.
estwing
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 4 2008, 02:11 PM) *

Pics of the one I built.

IPB Image

I'm concerned about the stress on the longs across the the bay. I have just a little rust in the heel hole and my doors still shut fine. Being supported end to end, is the weight going to be too much?
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(estwing @ Jun 5 2008, 07:49 PM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jun 4 2008, 02:11 PM) *

Pics of the one I built.

IPB Image

I'm concerned about the stress on the longs across the the bay. I have just a little rust in the heel hole and my doors still shut fine. Being supported end to end, is the weight going to be too much?

The short answer is NO.
The long answer is It Depends on how much rust is a "little."

The easiest way to have it not be an issue is to brace the doors.

In my particular case, I was not convinced I would need the rig until after I had done my de-rusting and welding. I built it mostly for stripping and painting the car.

Zach
Luke M
Started on the rotisserie today. One side is done and other on the way. As I'm back dating the bumpers does anyone have the info for it? I know I saw something awhile back on it but cant find it. Here's some pics.
URY914
Looks real nice.
Brando
If you're worried about stress on the longs...

Before you get it off the jack stands, weld in an Engman stiffening kit and put the top on.

Then lift and roll.
Luke M
I have the Engman stiffening kit installed. I'm going to install a door to roll bar brace anyway just to be on the safe side.
Luke M
Finished the rotisserie and mounted the 914 to it. Works good smile.gif
Now the fun starts sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.