Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AX newbie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
SGB
OK. I'm pretty nervous. I'm going to try to autocross for the first time at the Porsche Parade in Charlotte. I need advise. My biggest concern is seeing the course layout. And overdriving. Or being laughingly slow. How should I approach this? I've been reading "Solo Driving Secrets", and done a couple of DEs, but an AX is so condensed. I think if I missed something I would get lost in a sea of pylons.

Anybody wanna guide me down (then over, and back, and over again, and back, and around to the left, then back down) this asphalt path? wacko.gif
championgt1
Walk the course as many times as possible before you run. Your first run out go slow on purpose to make sure you "get" the course. After your second run at a faster speed if you are lost on the course find an instructor to ride with you and show you were you are getting lost. Don't worry about being slow it really is more about having fun. driving.gif

Jack
PeeGreen 914
It will be different for everyone. I hate walking the course as it just makes me hot. I like to go out hard and fast to get my tires warm quickly. Make sure you look ahead as far as you can. Just start out with what you are comfortable with and then push it after. If you can have an instructor ride with you that would help a lot.
bryanc
First, walk the course. It's not a good way to learn the line, but useful to associate where you will be going. I like to make mental notes about the 'rules of the course'. For example, a slalom might have an indicator cone telling you to take it on the left.

On your first run, take it slow. The course will look completely different in the car at speed. Try to make mental notes about the sequence of challenges. This helps me think 'when I get out of this corner I need to be setup for the slalom'... You always want to be thinking ahead of where you are. If you don't know what's coming next, you can't do that.

Lastly, an instructor is a good idea. Since you have DE experience, let the instructor know and he/she can tell you what's different about an autocross.

Have Fun driving.gif
J P Stein
Ah.....at the Parade it's 3 runs and you're done. No instructors, no ride alongs.

A goodly percentage of drivers are first timers... 25-30%....if the 2006 Parade is any indicator, so you won't be alone in that regard. If the organizers have their stuff together (and I'll assume they do), the course will be fully lined to help such folks.
This is to the organizers advantage as folks getting lost slow things down & boooger up the schedule. When you have 3-400 drivers schedule becomes all important.

By all means, walk the course at least twice then watch other folks run it if you have the opportunity. BTW, walking the course is not a social event. Distractions make it a waste of time. You're there to learn & you can't go fast till you know where you're going. I figure the first run is a throwaway most of the time.
URY914
Walk the course until you can close your eyes and run thru the entire course in your head. I would think they would be giving out course maps too.
SGB
Thanks fellers. I know my favorite drives are the ones I know the road really well. I think the "not a social time" comment is very apt. I'm sure it will be difficult to stay focused. I already get distraced very easily. Good to hear there are other newbies at Parade AX events. I would have expected just the opposite.
J P Stein
QUOTE(SGB @ Jun 6 2008, 08:25 AM) *

Good to hear there are other newbies at Parade AX events. I would have expected just the opposite.

As was I......till you realize it's free to all Parade attendees. It's "something to do at Parade". In 2006 at Portland we had 450 folks signed up to run but only about 350 actually showed up.....bout 2/3rds were hardcore AXers. The noshows prolly ODd on wine & cheese the night before.
championgt1
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 6 2008, 08:57 AM) *

QUOTE(SGB @ Jun 6 2008, 08:25 AM) *

Good to hear there are other newbies at Parade AX events. I would have expected just the opposite.

As was I......till you realize it's free to all Parade attendees. It's "something to do at Parade". In 2006 at Portland we had 450 folks signed up to run but only about 350 actually showed up.....bout 2/3rds were hardcore AXers. The noshows prolly ODd on wine & cheese the night before.

av-943.gif av-943.gif
6freak
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 6 2008, 07:17 AM) *

Ah.....at the Parade it's 3 runs and you're done. No instructors, no ride alongs.

A goodly percentage of drivers are first timers... 25-30%....if the 2006 Parade is any indicator, so you won't be alone in that regard. If the organizers have their stuff together (and I'll assume they do), the course will be fully lined to help such folks.
This is to the organizers advantage as folks getting lost slow things down & boooger up the schedule. When you have 3-400 drivers schedule becomes all important.

By all means, walk the course at least twice then watch other folks run it if you have the opportunity. BTW, walking the course is not a social event. Distractions make it a waste of time. You're there to learn & you can't go fast till you know where you're going. I figure the first run is a throwaway most of the time.

Ditto to all Mr stein and company says.Its all white chalk lined just stay between the lines Oregon was a track but San Diego was all chalked.the close`n your eyes thing works good for me wile your in the car and actualy move your hands on the wheel.Also get down at the hieght you will be sett`n in the car (kneel down) its a whole new view.Check the San DiegoA.X p.c.a stuff on the net tons of cool video ...Just have fun ..U will be hooked driving.gif
Joe Ricard
Put your running shoes on and run your final walk through. It looks WAY different going faster. Where you thought was a big gate walking suddenly got smaller going just 10 MPH faster.
Just wait till you see it 5 times as fast in your car.

J P Stein
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jun 7 2008, 07:00 AM) *

Put your running shoes on and run your final walk through. It looks WAY different going faster. Where you thought was a big gate walking suddenly got smaller going just 10 MPH faster.

Humm......what kinda times are you running? laugh.gif
Joe Ricard
the little parking lots can be run quicker. the air fields are a bit long. and summer is a bitch. Not as young as I used to be.

914forme
Sign up for the auto-x setup crew as a workers assignment. Gets you extra time with the cones, the people running it, and well checks off one extra work assignment for the workers party.

Walk the course, take it slow and build up. Last run go all out. I have been running auto-xes for 25 plus years now, and still approach it this way. I am not a Danny Popp so I can't smack down a fast run on the first go, but hell he is almost a pro. I can build up to it and gun faster and faster.

Next can't believe nobody did not mention this, but look ahead. Most newbies worry about the course in front of them. And not the corse two to three sections ahead. There are a lot of cones that you might not even have to worry about, I call them distraction cones. Look for the things you need to be concerned about and don't think about the ones that don't matter.

Only true truth is you need seat time. Enjoy yourself, oh and if you end up on the podium, let us know, good luck, and enjoy the ride.
URY914
I used to try to always be in the work group first and get a good spot so I can see where the mistakes are made.

And yes alway look ahead.
Joe Bob
I take my bicycle.....I can damn near do the same speed and the same lines on the tight courses......pisses off the AX weenies when I end up just behind or beating them on street tires.

J P Stein
QUOTE((*)(*) @ Jun 9 2008, 03:48 PM) *

I take my bicycle.....I can damn near do the same speed and the same lines on the tight courses......pisses off the AX weenies when I end up just behind or beating them on street tires.

Good idea, but it won't fly at any event I've gone to.
Specifically outlawed at SCCA. Dunno about PCA cept the local ones....you'd walk at ours....not cause it's illegal, just to piss you off.
Joe Bob
Good to hear yer still alive....I'd hate to have to fly up and piss on yer grave....I'd miss ya, but it's expensive and my bladder hurts....
J P Stein
If you croak first, I ain't gonna piss on your grave.......I don't like waiting in line.
Joe Bob
He scores......!!!!!

3 Points JP!!!!

Good to see you posting here again....
PS...take a number.... blink.gif
J P Stein
I've been posting here off & on ever since the great schism where a topic interests me....kinda like yourself. Some folks on either side don't like it but I could give a shit....like yourself. I have a few friends left on either side and I'm not gonna stop to please anyone.
PeeGreen 914
av-943.gif I don't care who you are... that's some funny shit. av-943.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jun 9 2008, 08:47 PM) *

If you croak first, I ain't gonna piss on your grave.......I don't like waiting in line.

Damn JP DAT is some funny shit right there.

I might have to borrow them words sometime in the future. beerchug.gif

Yada yada look ahead.

Newbie advise.
1. Just figure out where you are going.
2. both hands on the wheel unless you are shifting. Then both hands on the wheel again.
3. if the tail gets loose put you right foot down on the gas
4. if the front gets loose lift off the gas a bit followed by back on the gas.
5. if it won't turn increasing the steering wheel input WILL NOT MAKE IT TURN BETTER
6. At all cost enjoy yourself.
Todd Enlund
Is there any standard to what the cones mean? Any website that shows what they mean? I've seen one AX where apexes were marked by larger cones. I know that a cone laying down is an arrow "go that way" (unless someone hit it biggrin.gif ).

I've watched a bunch of in car videos, and sometimes I can read the course well, other times I can't figure out what is going on.
PeeGreen 914
Well, sometimes you need to see it on course to understand what it is saying. Yes, upright cones you have to go around and the ones laying down are pointers cones. You really can't trust the cones for the apex. Really need to figure that out on your own. That's why the AX courses that are lined with calk seem dumb to me. It really seems as if it limits the line you can take. You should come up when we have an AX at Bremerton or go to Pacwood and see. Some of the berst drivers in the nation come from our little area. JP sees the big dogs every time he goes out. I get to see them most of the time but not always.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jun 12 2008, 12:29 PM) *

You really can't trust the cones for the apex. Really need to figure that out on your own.

No, but at least it told me that the big cone should be on the inside of the corner biggrin.gif
6freak
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jun 12 2008, 02:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix 914-6GT @ Jun 12 2008, 12:29 PM) *

You really can't trust the cones for the apex. Really need to figure that out on your own.

No, but at least it told me that the big cone should be on the inside of the corner biggrin.gif

they chalk the course when they have tons of cars to run in a short time .they did 458?cars in san diego in 8 hours or less thats 1374 runs.it just makes it easyer for every one too get through.they where let`n a car go about every 20 seconds...not too many people got lost on course ..just stay between the lines .....anyway just my point of view flag.gif
SGB
Thanks for the great advise, especially the bladder releif info. Hi Mike!
6freak
QUOTE(SGB @ Jun 13 2008, 06:33 AM) *

Thanks for the great advise, especially the bladder releif info. Hi Mike!

check out the SanDiego AX thread thats what it will look like unless its on a closed course .just have fun
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.