Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1972 Mid Year Brakes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kansas 914
I tried searching for this - but couldn't find it.

I have a 1972 model and I know the brakes changed mid-year. Does anyone know what VIN numbers are considered early/late?

My VIN = 4722903347

I think I am close to the mid-year point.

Thanks in advance.

r_towle
The change occurs with the strut tube.
The offset of the rotor is bigger on the new ones, the ball joint retainer is different (and can be seen without removing anything) and the calipers are different.

Ask Eric Shea (member vendor forum) about what is what...he is the brake king.

Rich
Kansas 914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 6 2008, 08:22 AM) *

The offset of the rotor is bigger on the new ones, the ball joint retainer is different (and can be seen without removing anything) and the calipers are different.

Rich

Rich,

Thanks for the guidance - I should have thought to ask Eric (King Rebuilder) Shea.

I am sure he will know.

Mike
SLITS
If the bottom of the strut where the ball joint attaches has a slit in it ... it's early type (will have a bolt as a clamping mechanism) .. Rotor will not have hub centering ring.

If it is smooth with a nut (which holds the double taper pin in) it's late. Rotor will have a hub centering ring.

Single bleeders are early ... double bleeders late.

And it don't make no fuchin' difference with the calipers; they will interchange.
r_towle
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jun 6 2008, 12:24 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 6 2008, 08:22 AM) *

Rich

Rich,

Thanks for the guidance - I should have thought to ask Eric (King Rebuilder) Shea.

I am sure he will know.

Mike

Im getting old and really cant remember...honestly.
I switched from the old setup to the new one.
I think...this is from memory...the old ball joint retainer is a bolt...so you use two wrenches to get it loose.
The new one is a tappered pin (this I know) that wedges in place...thus why its better.

So, you should be able to look at the ball joint retainer bolt and know which setup you have.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.