Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: be careful, someone just stole my ebay acct
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
i love porsche
so this was my first time as a victim of identity theft.

I was checking my email, and i had all these questions from potential buyers for Nike air jordan shoes on ebay, that i never listed!. when i tried to login to my ebay, i couldnt, so i contacted ebay's customer service and was able to get the password reset and i think im safe for now..but that really spooked me

anything like this happen to anyone else?

im kinda worried at how far i should go to secure myself online
smontanaro
Even though you got your password reset, I would abandon that account. Are there any financial accounts associated with that login (PayPal account, cc numbers)? If so, I'd cancel all of them as well.

Skip
carr914
Fuchin thieves. I just found someone got my gas credit card info and charged $700 worth of gas in one day! I guess that's 1 way to beat the increasing cost of fuel.

T.C.
turboman808
That sucks. I really hate theives with a passion. Some ass stole the garage door remote out of my solstice when I left the top down. Next week the guy came back and turned on my lights to run my battery down and just be a dick.

Yes I know I am supposed to close up my car but I hate to live life like that. Much easier to shoot this person and dump them in the river.

Anyways I noticed you progress thread for the first time whats going on with that?
stateofidleness
this happens all the time.
has nothing to do with your account.
they just got a hold of your email (which can be had MANY ways)

called a "phishing" attack.. and best way to avoid is to just delete it or report it to their ISP.

the hope is that you'll respond to them saying "i never listed this" or "i dont know what you're talking about" or simply logging in through the link provided in the email..

you were targeted, but not alone.. it's a HUGE scam... gotta love crooks!
arvcube
try forwarding the emails to
spoof@ebay.com (or spoof@paypal.com for suspect paypal emails)

you'll get a response from ebay about it if in fact it is phish email
i love porsche
i talked to ebay about it, and i did actually have multiple listings under my name, which sucks, but they were able to delete them and then inform the bidders....

nate, the car will be making some progress this summer, i finally have a job, which means the 914 can resume its roll as a black hole
Brando
Security is #1.

I would suggest installing Mozilla Firefox and the plugin NoScript (http://noscript.net/). There are tons of seemingly harmless Flash and ActiveX apps out there loaded in most all sites that do things like this... One most recent I know of looks through your registry to get your WoW username, loads keylogger and gets your password. Nice eh?

If they can do that, they can definitely get your ebay ID, paypal ID, etc...
turboman808
QUOTE(i love porsche @ Jun 6 2008, 05:05 PM) *

nate, the car will be making some progress this summer, i finally have a job, which means the 914 can resume its roll as a black hole

I dropped mine off at Tangerine Racing last weekend. And as I put it to Chris. I need him to save the car from me.

I am good with a wrench but when it comes to making things or cutting things I suck and have no patience.
i love porsche
wow..thats some really scary stuff...ill take a look into that, thanks

QUOTE(Brando @ Jun 6 2008, 06:10 PM) *

Security is #1.

I would suggest installing Mozilla Firefox and the plugin NoScript (http://noscript.net/). There are tons of seemingly harmless Flash and ActiveX apps out there loaded in most all sites that do things like this... One most recent I know of looks through your registry to get your WoW username, loads keylogger and gets your password. Nice eh?

If they can do that, they can definitely get your ebay ID, paypal ID, etc...

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.