Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 Front Suspension
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Todd Enlund
What's the weight difference between the late 911 part and the 914 steel part? Is the 911 part stiffer? Is it a worthwhile swap while doing a 5-lug conversion, or no big deal?
brant
aluminum lighter
steel stronger

there are many threads here and on pelican about the pro's and con's
many people argue that the aluminum flexes in your suspension and theoretically hurts the handling

I apologize, I no longer remember how much lighter it is.
I use aluminum, but it was critical to me to lower weight on my 1837lb all metal race car.

technically the weight of a steel one is very low and in about as good of a place as it could be...

brant
Root_Werks
I put an aluminumumum one in my 914 becuase I'm cool. shades.gif

There is I think almost a 15lb difference. I think if it can handle a 911, it'll be fine in a 914.
Eric_Shea
the weight of a steel one is very low and in about as good of a place as it could be...

Bingo. If you're going to have weight, ths is good weight. I almost went AL but I decided against it and, I didn't want to show-up Dan. wink.gif
SLITS
harrumph ....

I have one hanging on my wall, along with my Gucci calipers .. Porsche Wall Art

I also have one on my /6 conversion .... I think ... maybe I didn't ... and then, maybe I did.
SirAndy
QUOTE(brant @ Jun 6 2008, 02:03 PM) *

aluminum lighter
steel stronger

many people argue that the aluminum flexes in your suspension and theoretically hurts the handling

technically the weight of a steel one is very low and in about as good of a place as it could be...

agree.gif

i've seen the alu ones flex first hand. sold mine afterwards and went back to the steel one.
shades.gif Andy
Allan
I don't know if it's a fact or not but, I have seen more than one claim that they can also crack.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 6 2008, 05:30 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jun 6 2008, 02:03 PM) *

aluminum lighter
steel stronger

agree.gif

i've seen the alu ones flex first hand. sold mine afterwards and went back to the steel one.
shades.gif Andy

Yeah, but how many of us are willing to be dragged along under a car to see this happen ...................... ? The Cap'n
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 6 2008, 06:23 PM) *

Yeah, but how many of us are willing to be dragged along under a car to see this happen ...................... ? The Cap'n

i'm always willing to be dragged the extra mile ...

shades.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.