Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tranny noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
ok, so i got this noise in the tranny.
having had a oil-leak, i tought i was simply running low on oil.
fixed the leak and filled up with fresh oil (swepco), noise is still there.

when slowing down and downshifting, i have a "whiny" noise very similar to the noise you get when driving in reverse and letting of the gas.
it's there in 2nd but even louder in 1st ...

shifting itself is fine, no crunching or anything.

any ideas?
Andy
mightyohm
Time for a new tranny. ohmy.gif

Seriously whine is bad news. It might go for a long time but eventually something will let loose.
Mueller
should I be getting my car ready for us to drive down to Dunkels??
my AAA card is only good for 100 miles smile.gif

Side or tailshifter?

I might have an extra one of each smash.gif
vortrex
my beetle did that. bearings, right?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 23 2004, 12:36 PM)
Side or tailshifter?

sideshifter that was rebuilt a few thousand miles ago for some $2500 bucks. sad.gif
Mueller
drain some of the oil, look for "stuff" in it.....

does the noise change if you put a little force on the shifter in any direction?
mightyohm
Take it apart now before a gear shatters or a bearing dies. James in SD (redbeard) should be able to give you advice.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 23 2004, 12:48 PM)
drain some of the oil, look for "stuff" in it.....

does the noise change if you put a little force on the shifter in any direction?

nope and nope ...

looked for debris when i cahnged the oil, nada.
noise doesn't change if i fiddle with the shifter.

Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Jan 23 2004, 12:49 PM)
Take it apart now before a gear shatters or a bearing dies. James in SD (redbeard) should be able to give you advice.

i guess it's rebuilding time again ... icon8.gif
SirAndy
ok, now that i had some time to think about it, i have 2 more stupid questions: cool.gif

1) if it's a bearing, why does it only make noise in the lower gears?
shouldn't it whine regardless of the gear selected?
i've tested higher gears, and there's no noise to speak of.

2) it just sounds like driving in reverse.
so, why IS reverse making that noise in first place?
and why doesn't it hurt the tranny?

Andy
Mueller
the gears for reverse are straight cut instead of helical (I think???)
nebreitling
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jan 23 2004, 01:50 PM)
the gears for reverse are straight cut instead of helical (I think???)

yup, that's my understanding as to why reverse makes that noise as well.
Britain Smith
Andy...is this noise only in reverse? If so, every car/truck makes a whining noise in reverse due to the straight cut gear. If this is all that you are worried about...then I don't think there should be anything to worry about.

-Britain
Carrera916
Andy,

if its been spend for $2500 and the intermediate plate bearings hasn't been changed, I'll be damn surprised!

do you hear the whinning change when you accerate or de-accerate a bit on lower gears only? such as 1 & 2? if so, there's a good chance that the plate bearings is giving you problems. you see, the force of the two gears meshing on input and pinion shafts, does move the shafts apart a bit (that can get worse if the intermediate plate bearings are shot. Now, the other set of bearings in the gearbox case that hold the pinion shaft can be a problem if the beveled gears are moved around a bit. That usually cause the whining. The surface contact between two gears can make incrediable noise if you move one gear away or closer to the other gear, hence the whining noise.

I do not think the differential bearings would be the problem but I would double check to be sure its in good shape. Another area to look at, when you remove the gears from input shaft, take a closer look at the needle bearings that goes inside the gears, check that the surface of the race are smooth, not pitted....if so, there's the noise!

hope this helps...

jerry
SirAndy
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Jan 23 2004, 03:20 PM)
Andy...is this noise only in reverse?

haha, you're either trying to get back to me for not reading your post right or you fucked up for real ...

re-read my post ........
Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Carrera916 @ Jan 23 2004, 04:02 PM)
hope this helps...

thanks for your input. guess i have to have brad take a look at it ...

Andy
Bleyseng
Could be you ran it low enough of oil so the top intermediate bearing is sloppy now causing the noise elsewhere.

Geoff
Gint
when slowing down and downshifting, i have a "whiny" noise

Whiner rolleyes.gif
McMark
Usually when you hear the noise in reverse and the lower gears it's a bearing at the intermediate plate, as you shift into higher gears you are moving away from the plate and the bearing, then there is less load on the bearing and it gets quieter!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.